Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #1

Breaker keeps popping

We are camping till weds afternoon. I popped the camper up and got everything organized and the breaker in the camper (which is a g.f.I.) and the shore power breaker on the box keeps popping. I was told its the converter. Cause the fan wont kick on to cool the converter. And I reset the breakers and I put all the breakers inside the camper on but one. And thats the one for all the outlets. Anyone have any suggestions. Cause im getting ready to drive 2 hrs up north to get a new converter. And then 2 hrs back to the campground.
delb2917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
clr

I am not real familiar with a pop up electrical system so here is where I would start. I think that your converter is plugged into the electric system with a normal 3 prog plug. Unplug the converter and see if the break will hold. If it does hold then plug in the converter if the breaker pops then I would unplug the converter and use an extension cord to plug the converter directly into the 20 amp connection on the power pedestal. Let me know what the results are and I will try and help with the next steps.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #3

If you have a multimeter I would test what you are plugged into first.
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

The only thing I can do now is trial and error. The water pump wont work.and the outlets wont work. Everything else works. The water pump is behind the fuse box which is were the converter is. I dont know what to do. Drive 2 hrs or have no outlets and no water.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Look for a GFI outlet in the TT and try resetting it. ( power is needed to do this) If a gfi is tripped many times it will take out the breaker.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #6

Im not quite sure what you are trying to have me do but im pretty sure I already did that. I have a box from the campground that I have power to. But when I put all the campers breakers up it blows. So now I dont have a water pump or outlets. Im getting ready to drive into town to get the converter. I dont see any other reason. Everything is leading to the converter.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

Whatd a tt?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #8

Ohh. Clr. I cant find a plug for the converter. I think its hard wired into the camper. Now there is a plug for the cord that plugs into the shore power box. Thats the only 3 prong plug I see inside the camper.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
clr

You may be correct that the converter is hard wired but in most smaller RV's the converter is plug in. If I am understanding your progress so far, you have power to the campground box or pedestal. I will assume that the converter is on its own breaker in your camper. Turn off all the breakers in the RV and turn the campground power on the breaker should hold. Then turn on each breaker in the RV with the converter being the last to turn on. Does everyone hold or just the breaker for the converter cause the campground breaker to trip? Is the breaker for the converter a ground fault type breaker or is there a secondary ground fault type outlet somewhere else in the RV that may be on the same breaker. If there is an outlet type ground fault make sure that if has not tripped.
The campground breaker may also be bad or weak, is there another power option close by were you can plug into to test this? Campground breakers fail quite often.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Ok. lmao. Clr. First off thank you so much for your time and brains. I really appreciate it. You are correct. My pop up has all the breakers off but the ones I need. I have water pump now.lol. sooo. Not going anywhere but around the fire tonight and the rest of the time im here. I will get the converter next week.
I did try using the other shore hookups. All the same. Trips right away.. as long as my air conditioning works and I have water. Im going to be fine. I have my inlaws coming down tonight so I will pick my father in laws brain and see if he has any ideas.
Time to make a drink!!!! Thank you to all. If anyone has any other idea fell free to reply!!
Old 07-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
clr

Glad that you are in a better place now. It does sound to me like either the ground fault for that circuit or the converter is bad. Just remember you are running on the battery for the lights and water pump now so take it easy on usage and you will be fine. Enjoy your camping trip.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #12

What about the air conditioning? Is it on shore or battery?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #13

Im thinking about butting the battery charger on the battery the rest of the time im here. Should be ok to do that.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

If you can get to converter, check it for its own fuse. Mine has a fuse on the side
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
clr

The AC is on the 120V shore power so no problem. If you have the output of the converter going to the battery off due to the AC breaker for the converter being open it is fine to just leave the battery charger on the battery. That way you would not need to worry about running down the battery.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #16

Thats what I was thinking.
Brownstone. I do have fuses on the right side. All of them are good. They have a red light on the side of them if they bust. All lights are off and I check everyone of them. All good. I still dont have the breaker for the outlets on.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

May not be the issue but I had an issue in a previous trailer where the breaker kept tripping for no real reason. Turned out the breaker was bad, a trip to HD and I was back up and running.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Do you have any AC outlets in the PU that are not working now that you have some power. Most TT have multiple AC outlets connected thru one GFI outlet. If that one has tripped, it could trip the master breaker. If you have an AC outlet on the outside of the TT then you have a GFI outlet somewhere Usually near sink, bath, kitchen or outside.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #19

Another question. How do I use my propane to the fridge?
Fly bob...I do have another outlet outside. Im going to see whats up with that. Thanks. I will get back to you.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #20

Doc. I think you might be right. I will have to wait till im back in town to try that. Thanks man.

Tags
breaker