Old 08-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

F5. Did you do the install yet?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #32

No. Been working on deck. Might get to it tomorrow. Looks easy to install, just three bolts to mount to trainer frame, then the cable to the winch.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #33

Went to install today, but discovered a problem with the cable length.

I checked the cable and it was in great condition. However, I never checked the length. Evidently, some dealers, when installing a power winch, cuts the cable and shortens it by about 5-6 inches.

The reason they do this is that the cable, when installed on a power winch, just goes about halfway into the reel's drum, and is retained by a set screw. With a manual winch, the cable has to go through the side of the reel, wrap around the center of the reel, then down and be curled up and retained with a clip. This adds about (approx.) four or maybe more inches to the length.

So, some dealers evidently cut that excess cable.

Regardless, the cable is too short to fit on the reel.

So cable is ordered.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #34

Possibly, Goshen has a big problem with the person who takes the orders. I told her twice it was a 228BH, then stressed Bike Hauler, then stressed it will be longer than most and certainly longer than a 228. The cable appears to be longer than the old cable, hard to tell with the front end of the old cable still in the channel of the wiffletree housing.

However,after dropping the back corner springs down, cutting the old cable and feeding the new one into the track, the large crimped aluminum grommet on the cable (not the one on the back end) could not feed through the housing; appeared to be too short or it was in the wrong place.

So, pulled the new cable down, dropped the springs, and lined up the back ends of both cables, and stretched them out, and the grommet on the new cable is about 12" short of where it should be as compared to the old cable.

So it appears, Goshen has a problem with those who take orders, or those who label the cables, or the manufacture of the cable. Not sure what, just positive that I am really peed off.

Now, I get to get covered in grease two days in one week, something I don't look forward too.

I will be contacting Goshen tomorrow and might just talk to to a supervisor. I can't even reuse the old cable since I cut it to pull the new cable through the housing.

(And cutting the old cable is not a problem if you have a Dremel and a reinforced cutting wheel. Took less than 30 seconds. Just make sure to take it up with tape, and cut in the taped area. This prevents the end from starting to unravel.)

Old 08-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #35

Wow. That sucks getting the wrong part or a mis made part.

Hopefully they will fix you up. I hear good things about them. Ask them if they can send you a custom built one with no grommet and give them the length you want plus a couple of feet. Then you can cut what you have extra instead of being short all the time.

Tell them no matter how many times you cut the cable it is still to short.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #36

I should NOT have called it a grommet; it is not a grommet, it is a pusher. And it needs to be in an exact location on the cable for the system to work. My mistake!

Drawing is NOT to scale.

The cable has a pusher and a plate on the end, as well as a pusher and a plate located along the cable toward the front of the cable (all depends on model of trailer I assume). The pushers are aluminum and are pressed onto the cable so they cannot move and slip on the cable.

The cable with the rear plate and pusher pressing up against the rear springs, goes between the two rear springs, around the pulley and then into the bottom track of the wiffletree.

Then through the center pusher and the plate and then between the two front springs to the winch.

(The distance of the rear pulley from the back of the trailer, which is adjustable, allows the rear to raise at the same speed as the front.)

As the winch is turned to draw the cable onto the winch’s drum, the two pushers push against plates that in turn, push against the springs; pushing the springs through the spring conduit, up into the roof corners, pushing the roof up.

As the winch is turned to lower the roof, the weight of the roof pushes the springs through the conduit for each spring until the roof is down.

Problem I have is the “center pusher” is 8.5“ too far back from the front of the cable (or, 8.5” too close to the rear) (as shown in the original photo)

So, what I called a grommet is not a grommet, and I should not have called it a grommet. However in defense, I was still very “peed” off at the time I wrote it.

Basically the job is quite easy, if the cable you get from Goshen fits.

As for Goshen, I guess tomorrow I’ll find out how their customer assistance really is. However, two people so far have received incorrect cables. And I stressed to the woman on the phone it was a 228BH, meaning a BIKE HAULER, so it had a LONGER front end and needed a LONGER cable than a standard 228; and she commented it was a "long" cable.

So, either she placed an incorrect order, or the catalog was incorrect, or it was manufactured incorrectly. I guess tomorrow when I talk to a supervisor, I’ll find out.

All I know is I have a camping trip set up for the following week in WY, and I need this cable early next week; so they better be prepared to ship the correct one overnight. Not just so I can get the job done with plenty of time left over, but to make sure they ship the correct cable the second time.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Hopefully they will fix you up. I hear good things about them.
In answer to this, I don't think they are as good as people say. In my case, I will say their service sucks and that is not only cause they shipped an incorrect cable.

Tail of the cable order.
Order 8/14, 2PM Goshen time. Could not ship out due to orders already picked up, but will ship out on Monday 8/17. Ok, no problem; I called too late, I understand that.

I paid for THREE day priority.
Per the shipping notice I finally received from the USPS; Pre Shipment Info sent to USPS on 8/17; Tuesday. USPS picked up on 8/18, Wed at 11:03 AM. Three days later I received. SO I will say I was lied to when they said they would ship on Monday cause it wasn't actually shipped until two days later. What I do not like is being lied to by someone. And in this case, I was clearly lied to.

I'll further update after my call to them in the AM; and it will be 8:00AM their time; 6AM my time.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #38

You should be able to find that cable and the splice/pushers as you call them at Lowe's, HD, Menards or Ace Hdw. It is the same as a garage door cable and comes in several sizes. Cut the cable to desired length. A garage door repairman will close that button quickly with a hammer on a concrete floor.
Just an idea in case you get caught again and do not have time to wait on delivery.
Travel safe
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #39

Interesting info, but just got off the phone with Goshen and they said the pusher is installed with a very large hydraulic press. Banging it on with a hammer could cause some major problem after a few uses, if not the first time used. If the center one slipped on the cable, the rear would raise, but the front wouldn't. You can tell by the looks of the pusher, it has been uniformly squeezed onto the cable.

But, talked with someone different. Gave her my measurements of rear of "rear" pusher to rear of "center" pusher is 124" on new cable; 132.5 on old cable and that is the problem. The other person ordered the incorrect cable; even though the ordered showed it was for a 228BH. (The cable from pusher to pusher would be the same for any 228; difference is the length from the center pusher to the front end of the cable is a lot longer on a BH due to the bike hauler deck and if you have the 228 with the ATV deck, it is about another few feet longer.)

She was actually more upset with the fact it sat around two days before being shipped. I should have had it on Thursday; not Saturday. And she will make sure this one is made up and shipped out TODAY.

Sure hope so....

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #40

Ok. I get it. No worries on the use of a Grommet. I get it.

The diagram you drew was awesome! That picture explains so much as to its inner workings. I am sure many others will find it helpful as well.

So how does one feed the cable thru the "rear plate"? It would seem that as one feeds the cable through, the center pusher would catch on the rear plate. Am I missing something?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#