Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #41

The rear plate is installed before they press on the rear and center pusher, and it is actually free to slide on the cable between the two pushers. The front plate is also free to slide on the cable, so it could slide off the front end of the cable.

The plates are the same shape as the inner parts of the tubes, just slightly smaller to fit into the tubes.

To install, you place the rear pusher and the plate into the top tube, slide toward the front. Then install the two springs and push them in as far as the can go; then mount the spring conduits back onto the corners. (Make sure to place the cable between the two springs; hard to explain, but if ever doing it, it is easy to understand. The springs are actually welded together at the end where they go into the tube.)

You then take the cable through the pulley, and plenty of room for the pusher and plate to fit through the pulley bracket.

If not done previously, now you can cut the original cable, by pulling it back until the pusher and the plate come out with the cable, still leaving a lot of cable hanging out the front. When I did this, the plate would not come out, due to the channel having been well greased for many year, the cable just slid through the plate. So I pulled it all forward and attached a small tie strap to the cable, and then pulled on the back, and the tie strap caught the plate and pulled it out the back.

I cleaned the old cable with degreaser, and taped up the old cable with electrical tape, cut the cable in the taped area with a Dremel and a reinforced cutting blade. I then placed a heat shrink tube on both the end of the old cable and the new cable, shrank it with the heat gun, and then pulled the old cable from the front and the new cable slid right through the channel and out the front.

That's as far as I got since it was then I noticed the the center pusher had not entered the cable and yet I could not pull the cable any further to the front since the rear pusher plate was up against the springs.

There are some brackets on the ends of the conduit that are held in place with a vertical bolt for each bracket (2), and a tie plate that ties the two conduits together with two horizontal bolts.

As maccve stated, it is not a hard job; providing the cable is correct. However, it is one heck of a messy job due to all the grease that has been pumped into the tracks over the years. I threw away the shirt I used it was so covered with grease.

Just got a notification, the shipped the new cable via UPS 2nd day air; which I will say is appreciated greatly, and I'll let them know.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #42

After twenty minutes on the phone the other day, getting all types of measurements, and the one woman admitting that the other woman didn't look at the catalog correctly, and ordered the wrong cable. And we both agreed, I needed a cable that was 132.5" from the spacers; THESE MORONS SENT ME THE WRONG CABLE AGAIN! Still short by 8.5 inches.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #43

6:10AM. Last night I wrote the President (and believe) owner of Goshen. Surprised me, he actually called me this AM as requested.

Says the first one was ordered due to the lady sending in the incorrect order; not sure how the second one was made incorrectly. The order was to produce a 132.5" cable (measured from back to back of the pushers).

He says he will go out and stand there while they measure the cable, crimp the pushers and then see it packaged and shipped.

To be continued....

Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
6:10AM. Last night I wrote the President (and believe) owner of Goshen. Surprised me, he actually called me this AM as requested.

Says the first one was ordered due to the lady sending in the incorrect order; not sure how the second one was made incorrectly. The order was to produce a 132.5" cable (measured from back to back of the pushers).

He says he will go out and stand there while they measure the cable, crimp the pushers and then see it packaged and shipped.

To be continued....
Wow. That is nice to see that you were able to finally break through and get this problem properly addressed. It sure sounds like it will be done right this time.

Good luck,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #45

HOPEFULLY. I did receive notice of another two-day air package from Goshen, so next Monday....
I can only hope that if the President of the company gets involved, that they measure twice and then install the pusher. However, I have found a backup location that make cables for popup trailers.
Trip to WY has been put off for a week and a half.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #46

Received the correct cable, so I guess at times, writing the President does help. Installed this AM, and connected to the new hand winch and all is well. Only small problem, and not really a problem is the handle cannot be inserted all the way into the winch fitting. The propane tank is in the way.
However, works with about 1-2 inches inserted with no problem.

If anyone is thinking of doing this, I recommend measuring the distance from the back of the back pusher to the back of the center pusher; that is the important measurement! Also, measure from the back of the housing to the winch and add a about 8 inches to allow for connecting to the winch.

If you give them your model it might work; at least the overall length was ok for me. It was that pusher to pusher measurement that was my problem.

And if anyone does this, and needs a pusher to pusher with a measurement of 124 inches; I have a few of them; since Goshen does not want them back.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #47

f5moab...I am glad to hear you finally got your cable issue rectified! I went camping this past weekend and I am so glad I removed my electric winch. It is so easy to use the hand crank winch and I feel so much more confident using it... I pulled in late friday night to my campground and it was getting dark already...it literally takes me less that a minute to raise the roof on my camper whereas it took forever with the electric winch because it would keep cutting off due to the overload switch. Part of that was probably because the winch had mangled the cable so bad it would not pull on smoothly...

Anyway, Goshen seems like a pretty good company...they are making cables for a LOT of different models for a LOT of years, so I can imagine it is hard to keep their database up to date...
Old 09-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #48

I agree, the hand crank is ten times better than that darn power winch. And a very easy installation. Probably took longer to clean the tools and myself then actually install a cable.

As for Goshen they make all the cables I believe. But per the woman who took the second order, it was not a catalog problem, she quoted me the 132.5" needed. It was an actual order problem.

Never found out why the second order was same as the first; incorrect. That will remain a mystery, but have to assume she got confused and put the old number in vs. the correct number. But for some reason, they made the identical incorrect cable.

Sad part is it took a letter to the President of the corp to get the correct cable made.
But if anyone needs a cable with a 124" measurement from the back to the middle pusher, I have two.

And I missed a camping trip waiting for a cable! So hope I never have to deal with them again.