Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Been camping well over 40 years, mostly tents and last 12 years in hybrids. Never had anything stolen. I do have a hitch lock for when the camper is stored in my driveway and I bicycle lock my generator to the camper bumper when we're away and that's about it, all just to slow a thief down. People post on these theft threads that cable locks just "keep honest people honest". I thought it was personal integrity and conscience, so maybe I'm wrong about that.
Yeah that's my thinking. If they see a cable lock maybe they'll move on to an easier target. Most thieves are lazy which is why they resort to taking people's stuff!
2019 Ram 1500 Classic SLT 4x4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab
Nova Scotia, Canada 🇨🇦
HappyCamperCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #22

My trailer has to stay in a storage lot when not using it due to the homeowners ass where I live. So I have spent what is to me a large sum of money to at least slow down thieves and get them to choose a softer target. Proven Industries Hitch Lock. Rvlockbox.com for battery lock box and propane tank lock. 6 foot cable lock for securing spare tire. Hockey puck locks instead of conventional padlocks. Yes I am paranoid. The question is am I paranoid enough?
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
My trailer has to stay in a storage lot when not using it due to the homeowners ass where I live. So I have spent what is to me a large sum of money to at least slow down thieves and get them to choose a softer target. Proven Industries Hitch Lock. Rvlockbox.com for battery lock box and propane tank lock. 6 foot cable lock for securing spare tire. Hockey puck locks instead of conventional padlocks. Yes I am paranoid. The question is am I paranoid enough?
When locks don't stop a crook, I have insurance for peace of mind.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
As "Wolfpaq82" stated: We were camping a couple of years ago when someone went through the CG and took all the shore power cords that used a twist lock on the camper. Real quick and simple, just untwist it, pull it, take it loose from the power pedestal and go. The interesting thing was this CG had a locked automatic gate. The Rangers did find a path through the woods and suspect that the burglars had been in the park more that once
They were smarter than the one that got my B.I.L.'s and others. He was staying in the park in an old beat up trailer pulled by an old van. Someone was driving by his site and noticed the back of the van open and all the cords laying there. He had even cut hardwired cords off by unplugging them first, and then bolt cutters.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #25

Location: Prattville, CA, but looking at AZ to escape Kalifornika
Colorado Wildcat had it right:

Make it harder to steal and they'll leave it alone. When travelling away from my usual spot I use 3/8 SS cable and 5'16" Proof Coil chain on the batteries and propane tanks. That way, they will need at least two types of tools to succeed. My only worry is that the crazy thief will get angry enough to do real damage to my coach once frustrated.
It's an angry world out there sometimes, so Be Prepared, like a good Scout...
PV Sailmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperCanada View Post
Just wondering what people use to secure their stuff. I have a hitch lock so nobody can drive off with it when it's parked. But what do people use to secure your propane tanks and batteries (when the top is down and it's parked either in your driveway or when you're in a store, etc). Thanks in advance
My biggest action to keep my stuff secure is to live in a community that's not full of thieves. I've lived in those crime riddled communities before, closer to Chicago, and I'll never be back.

Also, all of our neighbors tend to watch out for one another and having a sheriff's deputy living next store with his squad car in full site, doesn't hurt either.

I do keep a hitch lock on the camper for a second line of defense. For the battery and propane tanks, I guess you could get some security cables and wrap them around the battery and tanks and lock them together.

The roof of the camper does have 1 clasp that has loops to use a pad lock to keep the roof locked closed. Just don't drive with the pad lock on unless you want it swinging and scratching off the paint.

Good luck with everything.
2019 Ford F150 Race Red XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 Locking Axle, 1830# Payload, 12,700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
The bike lock cable is basically useless. It kind of entertaining to look it up on you tube. I used to use one to lock my charger to my golf cart. I forget the combo and looked it up . All kinds of videos of kids getting them open in 30 seconds
. Yes it works and know i can do it to. Lol.
That's why I use a hardened steel U-lock. Way harder to defeat the a cable lock.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper