Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #11

Fountainebleau and Fairview-Riverside

Fountainebleu is beautiful but we actually like nearby Fairview-Riverside more. It is not on Lake Pontchartrain but on the Tchefuncte River in Mandeville. It is quieter but you do get to see some interesting river traffic. Just be careful not to go if there is a brisk south wind for a few days as you may get cut off in there by rising tides. It has a brand new bath house in the area by the river. You do not want to stay in the area by the ranger station, make sure you get in the river loop. Really nice sites.

We found Bayou Segnette too crowded and noisy and looked at St. Bernard and decided not to stay there. Too close to the city for us, I guess, although you can get to public transportation fairly easily from both. We actually like the trip across the Pontchartrain Causeway from Fountainebleu and Fairview-Riverside and you are fairly close to great dining and shopping from both. A couple off the wall places featured in Diners, Drive-ins and Dives from Food Network are close by.

Stay across the lake, go into town during the day (or night) then go back to the park to relax.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #12

Bourbon St. is not a place I would take my child day or night, not even at 19. I don't judge anyone that does but I just wouldn't.

There are plenty of places to go there with family.

Years camping....52
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I've stayed at both, they are both nice parks. I would choose Fountainbleau as my first choice. You'll see white tail deer walking around the park.
and gators. Seen a kid snag a 4 footer in the fishing pond

Years camping....52
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #14

Stayed at Fountainebleu and Pontchartrain Landing last summer going and coming back from Destin. The state park was great with its splash pad, fishing pier and beach entry. Pontchartrain Landing is not in the best part of town but gated and quiet. They do run shuttles to Bourbon Street. Nice Bar and good food with live music. We will be driving back to Destin again this summer and we will be staying there again.

Days Camped 2017 - 33
Days Camped 2016 - 35
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #15

Big Easy

There is a KOA in the west part of New Orleans, actually River Ridge. Nice place and helpful staff. They do have a shuttle twice daily to the Quarter. Like anywhere else has it's pros and cons. Not the newest or most modern but it is livable.

Tags
camping