Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM   #1

canvas repairs

My day started great today. Finally a beautiful sunny day in Chicago. Hubby and I decided to go grab the Rockwood Premier out of storage and see how it faired the BRUTAL winter we had. I was expecting to see some issues. We got it home and opened up the storage compartment and saw many cracks in the plastic. The lid was fine the cracks were in the area underneath. Ok so we got over that but will need to be repaired so water can't get in. My husband started to crank up while I took a walk around inspecting the canvas. What I saw next literally made me cry. Something had made a nest of sorts out of the canvas and mattress. My heart sank. Tears turned into complete frustration when I got inside and saw how disgusting it looked and smelled. I'm not sure what it was but there was both bird and mouse terds everywhere. How do I get past this? I cleaned it up the best I could and we are taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see how much new canvas will cost but the smell it horrible. I'm feeling defeated.
cj72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and oh my goodness, I would be crying too. I am planning on popping up mine this weekend and hope I have no issues. Once you talk to the dealer, you will have a better idea of what gives and I hope this can be made right quickly and will not interfere with camping plans.
So, how old is your PUP? Were you able to find how they got in? Is there still a warrenty? What about the mattresses and cushions, are they ok?

For the canvas, you may also want to check with other canvas replacement companies to get other quotes. One is Bear Creek and I think the other is Canvas Replacements. Have not had to use them, but I understand they do a good job.

Tricks people have mentioned to keep critters out over the winter include not dropping the stabilizers and dryer sheets. I have not used dryer sheets, but I do keep the stabs up. I also take just about everything out of the camper like the curtains, cushions, and paper goods.

Let us know how things work with the dealer.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #3

We used to have a pop-up and we stored it in a shed on our property during the winter. One winter a snake entered the pop-up and found a family of mice that were living in it. The mess created was nasty. So, I pulled everything out, pulled covers off of cushions and took down the curtains. I used disinfectant on everything and put what I could in the washer. It actually washed up pretty well. There was one set of curtains that had been chewed on and needed to be replaced. We camped in it another season or two before we sold it and every now and then I would have a flash back to to the three days I spent cleaning it, but I was able to shake it and enjoy camping.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs