Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Angry Cassette toilet

I have a cassette toilet with no instructions. Please advise on where to put water in top? bottom more water? Chems. Thanks
fastdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

I also have one and have used it a bunch this summer! Basically, you pull the cassette out and open the screw cap. The cap should double as a measuring cup. I then pour some of the blue sanitizer liquid in the cup and dump it into the cassette holding tank. Then place a little water in the tank...enough to cover the bottom. Screw the cap back on and then place the cassette back into it's holding area.

Next you will need to fill the flush tank. There should be a little pipe that pulls out which also has a green cap on it. Pull it out and start filling it up...this is the water that will be used to flush the toilet. There should be a little clear tube which will show you how much water is in the tank...mine starts to fill really fast when it is empty, but when you get towards the top, the tank gets bigger and it takes a while to fill. I fill mine until the water in the tube is at the very top. When full, put the cap on that pipe and and fold it back into the cassette area.

You should be now ready to do you business! We only use our for going #1...mainly middle of the night type stuff, but one of my daughters did have an upset stomach one time and had to do a #2 emergency once and it was fine for that.

To use the toilet, there should be a little lever that opens up the hole in the bowl...you can either go and then open the lever or open it up and go...either way, you open the lever and then push the flush button. Ours usually lasts about 2 days for my family of 4 before I have to empty and refill it....when the flush tank gets empty, you will have an indicator light come on and it will run dry. One time, we did fill up the waste holding tank before the flush was empty and I had a little bit of a mess inside the cassette area to clean up, but you will see if it is getting too full.

Once it is full, just make sure the lever is closed for the bowl flush hole and then go outside and pull the cassette out. You can then take it to the dump station or a bathroom...I actually prefer to take it to the bathroom and it is easier to dump without making a mess. To dump, you fold out the pipe with the measuring cap and then open the cap...then just hold onto the handles and tip it up to dump and push the little green button to release the air and it will dump out. I usually put a little water in and rinse it out a couple of times to get all the TP out... It is then ready to go again! Good luck with it!
maccve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #3

I skip the first paragraph above. I only open that cap (measuring cup size) to dump as that is a direct opening to the business end. lol.

I carry a gallon milk/OJ jug and premix the blue stuff prior to the second paragraph above. This fills the holding tank with blue stuff. Every time you flush, you rinse the bowl with blue and follows it down.

Both methods work and accomplish the same end game.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

Thanks mcavve & vinmaker. This is better than an instruction manual. We are a couple of old farts and have to get it in the middle of the night. Our maiden voyage is in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #5

Thank you. We purchased our pop up and have not used it or filled it. this will be a treat to get this without any problems. Back in the early 70's we had a porta toilet this was not easy to empty or clean.
skirk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

The flush did not work on the toilet. I rinsed the toilet using the shower head. Oh well!!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #7

So the pump did not work? You may have blown a fuse. That can happen when the pump impella gets stuck. It will then blow a fuse.

That happened to me. I needed to stretch into an access panel to change the fuse. It was in a weird place. You sound like you have a different unit than I had. You may need to search online for some schematics of your unit to see where the fuse is. You should be able to easily access the pump by pulling out the toilet paper holder. The pump is simply held in with one Phillips head screw. Unscrew it and see if you can spin the impellers with a small flat head screw driver. Mine was junked up and would not turn freely. Had to manually spin it a few times with the screwdriver to get it going.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Done with this

There is a fuse under there. Pull out the cassette and look on the top, like looking inside the camper through the hole in the toilet, about half way back. I think it's a 5 amp fuse.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #9

You guys said you could dump the cassette in the toilet and run some water in the cassette to get the rest of the toilet paper out. Are you dumping it in the camp ground bathroom? And are you bringing jugs of water to rinse it out as there's not a hose in the bathroom. And I guess the blue solution is ok on the plumbing? And the camp ground is ok with using the bathroom for the cassette? I'm new to all this and it sounds helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

We used the dump station just like the big guys if at a campground. Otherwise, we carried it home and used a house toilet, but that's not preferred. Can be done tho.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #11

Thanks appreciate that info
Packncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #12

I have used both the dump station and the bathroom. I have never had anyone say to not use the bathroom, but the times I did, there was really no one around. The reason I prefer the bathroom is that at the dump station, unless you have a direct hook up, it is almost impossible to dump it without getting a little toilet paper around the opening when you tip it over...of course it is easy to just rinse it down the drain with the hose. In the bathroom, you are dumping into a big toilet and it doesn't make any mess. I don't think the blue solution would hurt the pluming as it goes straight down the toilet and into the same sewer system as the dump station. As far as rinsing when dumping in the bathroom, I honestly do not remember what I did, but I did not bring water with me...I either used a sink or shower, or took it out and filled it up with some water and shook it up and back to the bathroom to dump.

The last few times I camped last year, I camped at full hook up sites as I hook up the sink drain directly to the sewer and I have dumped the cassette at my camp site trying to be very careful not to have any spillage, then I just used the outside shower to rinse it out really good. Have fun!
maccve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #13

I had to dump once in my home toilet as I forgot to dump before I left. I was shocked at how overwhelming the smell was. I will not do that again. I cannot image it is any better in the camp restroom. At the dump station, it is wide open and the wind can take the smell away (to those that camp near it. Hahhaah).

I found it easy to just tip it over and dump it, then use the hose to hose it clean and rinse out the inside of the cassette as well. I like the system so much, I tried to get Rockwood to custom build me a HW256 with one and forgo the black tank. They said no.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 03-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #14

cassette made easy :)

That info is very helpful. Thanks... I've been wanting to use the cassette for some time now mostly nighttime use so I dont have to treck to the bathrooms or go far, but have been hesitant due to never having gone to a dumping station, and figuring out the dumping process. You've all made it seem pretty easy.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #15

Absolutely. Once you get process down, you are gonna love the ease of it.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 03-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #16

Just a thought. We use a Cleanwaste Portable Toilet with Wag Bags. I found it easier than the portable chem toilets. It is at normal height (same as regular commode), can support up to 500lbs., is very stable, the Wag bags are biodegradable (they can be thrown out with the trash) and contain "poo" powder that eliminates odors, bags can be used more than one time(going with if its yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, throw it out), the legs can be folded so its the size of a briefcase(when not in use it can be stored out of sight). There is no need to dump it! Thought I'd put this out there. We've used both! Horse trailer, pop up and a camper that needed the slide out to get to the bathroom - found this portable preferable to chem commode.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdog View Post
I have a cassette toilet with no instructions. Please advise on where to put water in top? bottom more water? Chems. Thanks
See pictures toward the bottom of Bathroom on Wheels | Popup Camping 101, and also check the link to Thetford's website on that same post.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote