Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #1

Clamp On Bike Rack

Anyone have any experience with the below Curt clamp on bike rack or similar style bike rack? I tow a hw27ks with a 4runner and this seems to be my best option. My only concern is the turning radius and a bike tire possibly interfering with the sway control bar. I want to avoid any camper mounted racks. I would have two kids bikes, a 20" and a 24".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452076835992.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	97329   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452076848620.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	97330  

Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #2

Some things to think about:
I have used an older 4-bike version of this on a Coleman Utah:
Original 3 Towing Bike Rack- Swagman
which slips over the receiver bar. I stopped using it and went to a Pro Rack
ProRac Proformance Bike Rack | Tent Trailer Bike Rack |, which mounts to the tongue with just the back wheels on the trailer roof. I like this one much better.
We do a lot of long distance travel with overnight stops and the receiver mount tends to get in the way of hook-up/set-up. It also interfered with getting into the back of the car (Ford Explorer) during travel stops for lunches, etc. I also used it mounted to the back of the Coleman (yes with proper bracing/mount points) which worked okay except for the initial forgetting to realize it changed the trailer balance - a lot -.

The swagman rack used a jam bolt underneath to stabilize the rack, but there was still a lot of movement which led me to tie down the bikes to the car to keep it still. You may get some of that with this setup.

Don't forget it adds directly to the hitch weight you are putting on the tow vehicle.

I have not mounted the Pro-rack on our new trailer yet, but expect to do so this spring. That could prove to be an adventure since the tongue area on the FR pop up is covered with a metal plate (which already needed some mod for the WD hitch setup).

enjoy.

Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

Pro Rack is awesome and an easy install!!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Ok, so the Pro Rack seems ideal for our Rockwood 1940 pup; my only question is regarding opening up the trailer. Does the rack frame slide down or tilt allowing me to pull out the bed/bunk, or do I have to disassemble the whole thing? I looked at the pdf assembly instructions and this does not show this detail or answer my question! The rack is not cheap and if I have to do that disassembly I don't think I am buying! What say ye?

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Ringbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #5

Have you considered a front mounted (truck) hitch?
That is what I decided on after considering many options and it has worked our perfectly.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #6

rack

If I use my Sierra truck, no problem; the problem is that our main Towing vehicle in the summer is my wife's Toyota Highlander- don't think the front hitch is feasible. Are you saying the Pro Rack must be diassembled to open the pup? That would not be cool, unless the uprights could easily be telescoped down.

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Old 04-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringbill View Post
Ok, so the Pro Rack seems ideal for our Rockwood 1940 pup; my only question is regarding opening up the trailer. Does the rack frame slide down or tilt allowing me to pull out the bed/bunk, or do I have to disassemble the whole thing? I looked at the pdf assembly instructions and this does not show this detail or answer my question! The rack is not cheap and if I have to do that disassembly I don't think I am buying! What say ye?
There are several holes for hitch pins that allow the tube attached to the cross bar where the bikes attach to slide in the tubes that are attached to the tongue so you can lower the cross bar and pull out the bunk end. We just sold a Pro-Rack because we bought a hybrid. Worked very well for us. Some extra work involved in setting up/tearing down, but is an excellent way to transport bikes with a PUP.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

rack

Ok, thank you! Guess I am buying it! You should get commission for the sale!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4
Old 04-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #9

Glad to help. One suggestion : use rachet straps and wrap the strap completely around the bikes seat post to ensure the rear of the bikes don't go wandering all over the roof of the camper.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

Last question: Where to put the front wheel/tires? In my case, two adult and one child's bike. Bothe popup floor and cargo area of the towing vehicle are usually maxxed out! Any flat boxes that might work? Thank you!

2004 GMC Sierra 4x4

Tags
bike, bike rack