Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #1

Clarification of Rockwood HW black/grey tanks.

Hello everyone,

First time poster here. Some of you may know me from PUX.

I currently own an older Rockwood HW with a cassette toilet and 6 gal grey tank. I wish to upgrade this year to a new 2015. Unfortunately cassettes are no longer offered on the HW's.

The spec sheets indicate a 12 gallon grey and a 12 gallon black on the new 2014/2015 HW pups.

From what I gather from this forum those numbers may not be what they appear.

There are posts on here that indicate the total grey water capacity may be split between a sink and a shower. For example. There may be a 6 gallon grey tank below the sink with a 1 1/2" discharge on the door side of the pup. Then there may be a 6 gallon grey tank under the shower area with plumping into a 3" conventional TT discharge on the back side of the pup.

Concerning the black tank. Posts indicate that one cannot see a black tank under the unit as the tank may be mounted above the floor under the actual toilet unit. Some speculate this was utilized to provide a higher seat height.

Can someone clarify the above?

When looking at the stats, I was expecting it to have tanks like a TT. I was expecting one large 12 gallon grey tank to which both shower and sink would be plumbed inflow and then plumbed outflow to shared 3" discharge. I would also expect one large 12 gallon black tank to which would accept direct discharge from the toilet and then plumbed outflow to a shared 3" discharge. As with a TT, one could pull the black and then pull the grey.

Sorry if this question seems a bit strange but I have not been able to figure out the seemingly conflicting posts here with the spec sheets. I am hoping current owners can help me.

I am considering the large HW296 model.

Thanks guys. I am enjoying my time here reading all your great posts.

Vin.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Unless the design has changed, the gray water capacity is, in fact, 12 gallons. Yes, it has two 6 gallon tanks, but they are plumbed together and drain into a single 1 1/2" drain outlet. The two tanks are essentially one, since they are plumbed together. The 12 gallon black tank does sit above the flooring, underneath the toilet and shower surround. It drains into a separate, standard 3" sewer outlet. In the case of the HW296, both the 3" and 1 1/2" drains are located next to each other, under the camper at the driver's side rear.
Hope this helps.

2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #3

Ok. That makes a bit more sense. Thanks Bob.

God help us all if one of the black tanks rupture for whatever reason. I am not sure I like having a black tank inside the pup. If it is on top of the pup floor then it is in the pup. There is outside the pup and inside the pup. Everything on the floor I consider in the pup.

Does anyone know why they chose this method? I never heard of a camper having a black tank within the living space. To me the damage from a leak or rupture is just too great. It just seems so natural to place holding tanks below the floor where gravity can take any leaks to the ground instead of spreading out over the interior floor space.

I am sorry if my comments are odd. I am still having a hard time getting my head around the logic of placing black tanks on pups. Never really had a problem with my cassette set up. I though the cassette was a very good invention. Even though the cassette is in fact within the living space. Hahahaha. Such irony. lol.

Vin.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

Clarification of Rockwood HW black/grey tanks.

I don't know the answer, but I'm looking at a 15 HW296, I thank you for asking these questions, it has helped me learn more about this pup.

Thanks.

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. Some of you may know me from PUX.

I currently own an older Rockwood HW with a cassette toilet and 6 gal grey tank. I wish to upgrade this year to a new 2015. Unfortunately cassettes are no longer offered on the HW's.

The spec sheets indicate a 12 gallon grey and a 12 gallon black on the new 2014/2015 HW pups.

From what I gather from this forum those numbers may not be what they appear.

There are posts on here that indicate the total grey water capacity may be split between a sink and a shower. For example. There may be a 6 gallon grey tank below the sink with a 1 1/2" discharge on the door side of the pup. Then there may be a 6 gallon grey tank under the shower area with plumping into a 3" conventional TT discharge on the back side of the pup.

Concerning the black tank. Posts indicate that one cannot see a black tank under the unit as the tank may be mounted above the floor under the actual toilet unit. Some speculate this was utilized to provide a higher seat height.

Can someone clarify the above?

When looking at the stats, I was expecting it to have tanks like a TT. I was expecting one large 12 gallon grey tank to which both shower and sink would be plumbed inflow and then plumbed outflow to shared 3" discharge. I would also expect one large 12 gallon black tank to which would accept direct discharge from the toilet and then plumbed outflow to a shared 3" discharge. As with a TT, one could pull the black and then pull the grey.

Sorry if this question seems a bit strange but I have not been able to figure out the seemingly conflicting posts here with the spec sheets. I am hoping current owners can help me.

I am considering the large HW296 model.

Thanks guys. I am enjoying my time here reading all your great posts.

Vin.
I have an HW 296 2014 . Yes the blackwater tank is above the floor but is also in the enclosed tub surround so if there were to be a blackwater tank rupture it would drain off into the grey water tank or in the tub surround. It wouldn't be much worse to clean up than emptying your cassette. other than having to replace the Blackwater tank.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

Thanks for the information Papasmurf. That does give me hope. I am just a big waterphobe when it comes to RV's. You get large spills in these things and the floors are toast. Black water would be quite the disaster.

You bring up another question that just popped into my head.

Does anyone have any images of a tech drawing or something showing how these toilet set ups looks in these HW's? Any explosive parts diagram or something for the toilets? I am curious as to what and where things are in there.

Thanks guys.

Vin.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

We own 3 RV's and 2 of them, due to their small size have the black water tank above the floor with the toilet sitting on it. Both the Scamp and the Sprinter based class B motorhome, Winnebago ERA have this configuration. We don't view this configuration as a problem. We bought both the Scamp (2007) and the ERA (2012) new so we know their total history,
The Wildcat TT( 24RG) does have the conventional below the floor larger tank which, of course, holds a lot more black water than the other two units.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #8

They are pretty simple, a throne with a hose basically. there is a lever on the toilet, half way down lets water fill the bowl. push lever all the way and the flapper at the bottom of the pot opens to empty contents into the black tank below with a rinse. It is not a hearty flush like a home toilet. The toilet manual was included in the huge stack of manuals I got.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #9

ok. Thanks everyone.

Tags
black, cat, rockwood, tank