Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

Cleaning questions

Hi All,
I am new to this forum. I have been searching it for a while. Seems to have great info, but I don't see much about my question.

I just purchased a new used 2014 Rockwood 2516g. It's really nice, but when I pick it up, I'd like to clean it up super nice. The canvas is great but there is a few flecks of stains here or there. The dealer said oxy clean only, but not on the canvas portions, only the vinyl. He said the oxyclean would yellow the canvas portions.

I would like to clean the canvas portion without vinyl as well as the inside of the vinyl portion. Just spot clean. Is the 303 multi surface cleaner good? Do I have to re waterproof after cleaning?

Any proven methods? The manual just says oxyclean.....

Best Wishes
Bhugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

Check the post Cleaning??, #13 should help you
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
Check the post Cleaning??, #13 should help you
Yes, thank you. I had seen that.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

I also spoke with Rockwood. They referred me to the company that makes the vinyl portion. I called them and was amazed at the discussion I had with one of their engineers. The vinyl portion is quite a bit more complicated than I had thought. He mentioned weak oxyclean or fantastic that says safe on canvas backing for spot removal, but said that there are several chemical processes on the vinyl backing that you can really screw up. His advice was use water and a very soft brush and live with what's left if possible. The backing is much more important than I thought.

For the outside vinyl, he said that Maguires 57 was safe to use, but he doesn't know about any ill effects on the thread or stitching as they don't sew it. He did mention that nothing you put on it can improve the UV protection that's actually baked into it. I asked what he would use and his answer was.....water and a soft brush or sponge. Maybe a squirt or two of Maguires 57 if he had a tough stain or deposit. He didn't think anything would actually increase the life or performance of the vinyl more than just washing it with a sponge and clean water occasionally.

In essence, he said that you can only hurt the vinyl fabric with other chemicals or hard scrubbing actions, and you probably won't help it.

For what it's worth, I thought I'd share that.

He also said they do not make the fabric used for the Windows that has no vinyl and could not speak to that. He did mention that water and a soft brush would most likely be the best for any treated fabric though. The use of a waterproofing spray would not be equivalent to the several chemical layers original to all newer fabrics. Better to keep the original fabric working unless absolutely necessary because of mold or some other big problem.

I do wonder if the windows on the bed ends are still Sunbrella? I guess I'll grab a bucket of water and a brush and see how well it turns out....
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

Good info, thanks!
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhugo View Post
I also spoke with Rockwood. They referred me to the company that makes the vinyl portion. I called them and was amazed at the discussion I had with one of their engineers. The vinyl portion is quite a bit more complicated than I had thought. He mentioned weak oxyclean or fantastic that says safe on canvas backing for spot removal, but said that there are several chemical processes on the vinyl backing that you can really screw up. His advice was use water and a very soft brush and live with what's left if possible. The backing is much more important than I thought.

For the outside vinyl, he said that Maguires 57 was safe to use, but he doesn't know about any ill effects on the thread or stitching as they don't sew it. He did mention that nothing you put on it can improve the UV protection that's actually baked into it. I asked what he would use and his answer was.....water and a soft brush or sponge. Maybe a squirt or two of Maguires 57 if he had a tough stain or deposit. He didn't think anything would actually increase the life or performance of the vinyl more than just washing it with a sponge and clean water occasionally.

In essence, he said that you can only hurt the vinyl fabric with other chemicals or hard scrubbing actions, and you probably won't help it.

For what it's worth, I thought I'd share that.

He also said they do not make the fabric used for the Windows that has no vinyl and could not speak to that. He did mention that water and a soft brush would most likely be the best for any treated fabric though. The use of a waterproofing spray would not be equivalent to the several chemical layers original to all newer fabrics. Better to keep the original fabric working unless absolutely necessary because of mold or some other big problem.

I do wonder if the windows on the bed ends are still Sunbrella? I guess I'll grab a bucket of water and a brush and see how well it turns out....
That's some great news since we are sending our old vinyl top away this Saturday for a new one. I was wondering what to use on the new top.
Thank you..
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning