Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Cool Condensation while closed

Hello,

We have a 2018 Flagstaff 625D that we bought in July 2017. I started to notice this summer that there was condensation in the camper when opening. The condensation is on roof along back wall then up the side with slide and there would be about a gallon of water on canvas. I mentioned this to the dealer when I took it in for the warranty forever check and they basically said roof leak is not covered. Pretty sad a year old camper has not warranty on roof leakage.

I did find some missing calked around vent window and re-calked that but not sure how to go about finding the leak. Would appreciate and pointers on finding and fixing leak.
Haildc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Team

The roof should have it's own separate warranty.
I'd contact the factory or FR and bypass the dealer.
You are the original owner right?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The roof should have it's own separate warranty.
I'd contact the factory or FR and bypass the dealer.
You are the original owner right?
Yes, I am the original owner. I will look into contacting forest river. Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Condensation as you described is NOT unusual in a tent trailer. Humid weather, followed by cool night air on uninsulated vinyl tent fabric ( or uninsulated walls) will cause a ton of water condensing on the inside. The only way to combat this is to unzip the tent end or open a window in the slide, just a few inches, and power up the roof Max-air vent. This will greatly reduce if not eliminate the condensation. Anything left can be towel wiped. Or keep the heat or AC going to dry out the inside air.

You may have a leak, but a leak does not leave water collected on the tent... leaks usually find a low spot and pool.

Furnaces produce a lot of water vapor... so do sleeping bodies respirate moist air into the camper. This moist air needs to be evacuated from the trailer. Worst thing is on cool rainy nights, sleeping, as you pull moist air out, but replace it with moist air... that is when you need your towel close by.

Tents have a separate warranty from the tent supplier and is not covered specifically by FR. FR will tell you who to contact to make a claim on the tent if you think that is necessary.

Hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Interesting discussion here:

https://camperreport.com/hybrid-trai...onsiderations/

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Condensation as you described is NOT unusual in a tent trailer. Humid weather, followed by cool night air on uninsulated vinyl tent fabric ( or uninsulated walls) will cause a ton of water condensing on the inside. The only way to combat this is to unzip the tent end or open a window in the slide, just a few inches, and power up the roof Max-air vent. This will greatly reduce if not eliminate the condensation. Anything left can be towel wiped. Or keep the heat or AC going to dry out the inside air.

You may have a leak, but a leak does not leave water collected on the tent... leaks usually find a low spot and pool.

Furnaces produce a lot of water vapor... so do sleeping bodies respirate moist air into the camper. This moist air needs to be evacuated from the trailer. Worst thing is on cool rainy nights, sleeping, as you pull moist air out, but replace it with moist air... that is when you need your towel close by.

Tents have a separate warranty from the tent supplier and is not covered specifically by FR. FR will tell you who to contact to make a claim on the tent if you think that is necessary.

Hope this helps
Pup is completely closed for storage. Condensation is found when raise roof to open pup.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #7

So you are saying that you have no humid air inside when you close up? and do not have cooler nights to make the humid air condense on the walls?

That is my weather type here in the Ohio River valley... 85 and humid during the day and 65-70 at night, which causes dew to form on everything overnight. Your thin uninsulated roof and walls causes the humid air trapped inside to condense on the roof. You DID mention condensation in your original post, so that is the line I am using to try to explain.

I would buy some Damp Rid at HDepot, several packs of it and put it inside... or look on amazon for those small dehumidifiers that are powered by AC current. The Damp RId will have to be replaced periodically if you are constantly opening and closing the camper... otherwise it will dry the air inside.

a roof leak would pool water on the floor, not distribute it on the walls and roof as you mentioned... or is there a trail of water down the wall pooled on , or soaked on the floor indicating a roof leak?

Just trying to educate you that popup and hybrid trailers do get condensation in humid weather. You are posted on POP-UP forum, and I see only a handful of posts indicating to me that you are relatively new to camping in a popup...

everything I said earlier I stand by, as that is my experience with condensation in my previous popup and my current hybrid...

just trying to help

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #8

I bought a little electric dehumidifier and keep my trailer plugged in while it is closed up. I leave it in the shower to let it drain into to the grey tank. I live in Alabama, where I jump into the pool to dry off.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

You are correct, I am new to Pup camping as I bought the camper a little over a year. When I read your reply it sounded like your were referring to condensation while the pup was pop-out and to open windows or vent. I was just stating this is happening while it's closed.

Thanks for the advice and I will try some dehumidifier bags to see if that helps.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Team

I would guess you have a leak somewhere. I've never heard of a pop-up getting condensation when it's closed up.

You probably could've saved your money on that forever Warranty as well.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #11

A gallon of water is not a condensation problem especially not if it is pooling on the exterior of the canvas. I'm pretty sure if you bought it new you have a 5yr roof warranty. Nor should you ever see condensation on the walls when it is closed and stored. Normally a few packets of Damp-x or whatever name brand you buy will be more than sufficient to control any humidity problems.
There are only a few places where water could be infiltrating your roof. It could be the caulking around the fantastic fan, the gasket for the AC unit if you have one, the seams where the roof meets the sidewalls or the corner moldings. Other than those it is either a roof puncture or an improper seal when closed.
The furnace is a sealed unit and it takes air from the outside for combustion and vents the wastes byproducts(including water condensation) outdoors as well. Unless you have a bad heat exchanger, the furnace will NEVER introduce water condensation into your camper. Try using a heater buddy on a cold night and see how much condensation forms inside your camper.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Site Team

I agree that it's due to a leak, NOT condensation. Especially for that much water.
I owned two popups and never had condensation while stored, nor that much water.

Sorry to say but that's why most of us don't recommend extended warranties. The fine print usually eliminates the usual expensive stuff from coverage, like roof leaks and delamination.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #13

I agree, roof leak!! I also live in the Ohio valley. My pup is parked outside most of the summer. Never have I opened it with condensation inside! Always very dry when closed up.
daverobenolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #14

A leak and condensation are entirely different things. This is a leak.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #15

Well, I would think the popup would also have a roof leak when it was deployed... have you ever had the popup open in the rain or hosed it down with water while someone else is inside looking for this leak?

Might want to do that while the weather is still nice...

I still am stuck on your use of the word condensation...
Quote:
I started to notice this summer that there was condensation in the camper when opening. The condensation is on roof along back wall then up the side with slide and there would be about a gallon of water on canvas.
Condensation forms as small droplets of water like dew over a wide area, a puddle of water would form from a leak... but no matter... this water collection no matter what you call it needs some investigation before the weather turns bad... otherwise you will have a big headache come spring time.

good luck...

2014 Shamrock 183