Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Confirmation of Converter Troubleshooting - Please!

Hey gang - my first post on here, so greetings to everyone and thank you for all the help you've been giving me for the last month without even knowing it

Purchased a 2008 Rockwood HW276 at the end of May, and have been scouring this forum ever since. Been on two trips (Buckskin State Park in Arizona for one night "test run", and 5 days at Hume Lake in Sequoia National Park) and both have been awesome, but I come back with more questions that I had before I left! I'm having power issues, which I believe I've traced to the converter (WFCO 8725P) after using multiple techniques I found on here and the manufacturer's website...I'll get to those tests and results in a moment....but first here are the symptoms:

1) First night in the PUP in Arizona - ran on shore power (30 amp hookup) all night. Had cold A/C and all the plugs (charging phones, ipod, etc.) and microwave worked just fine. Middle of the night the shore power dropped out - woke up to silence. Reset A/C breaker on converter after turning main power (at the CG post) off and back on, and then had no issues - but the batteries were dead - no DC worked at all (overhead lights were my indicator). So I figured I just needed a new battery or two....

2) Got home from AZ trip and tested batteries....even after the two hour ride home and charging (supposedly) from the TV, had one at 12V and one at 10V. At least one bad, but I'm stubborn. Recharged them both and started prepping for the Sequoia trip two days later.

3) Went to Sequoia and batteries were dead after first night. No heat or lights, but I like the "real" feel of camping in tents anyway...haha. Got home and went to Autozone to have them test the batteries to make sure I did it right, they got the same results, so I know I needed to replace the battery reading 10V. BUT - since I read this forum and lots of good stuff from Herck and a few other members, I bought two new batteries to ensure they were balanced (and I went with Optima Blue Tops - sorry Herck).

4) So now I've got the two new Optima Blue Tops hooked up in parallel (using the balanced hook-up diagram I ALSO found on here). But I still don't think the converter is doing what it's supposed to do. Primarily because if I disconnect the batteries and plug into house power in the garage - the "converter" isn't running any of the DC-side gadgets (once again the overhead lights are primarily what I use as an indicator. I tested the output of the converter at the the reverse polarity fuse (per the factory instructions) and received 0 volts. I also followed the WFCO testing procedures and received zero volts. AC side (A/Conditioner, plugs, etc.), only seems to be the DC side that is affected. All fuses checked and good. So....guess I'll be ordering a new WFCO 8725P, unless you guys have anything else up your sleeve, or recommend a better model (Progressive Dynamics?).

Sorry for the length - just wanted to try and cover all the details before I bothered you guys. Once again - thank you for all the help and information you've already provided, and thank you in advance for any additional help you can now offer!

Wes Krohn
2008 Rockwood HW276
Twentynine Palms, CA
KrohnWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #2

Sounds like you have a bad convertor, have you tried the WFCO troubleshooting guide? If you have to replace it, I recommend the Progressive dynamics. You can get a larger unit 45amps which will provide more 12 vdc power especially if your going to charge two batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO 8900 Troubleshooting guide.pdf (4.69 MB, 177 views)
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Thanks for replying! Yes I used the troubleshooting guide...Disconnected the battery cables and wrapped them in electrical tape, re-applied 110v house power, and checked for voltage at the Reverse Polarity fuse connection - had 0 volts. I think the confusing part is all the different configurations that folks have. Read many threads about checking breakers - and other fuses, etc. But in my PUP, the 30-amp cable for shore power is wired directly to the back of the converter, so there's no breakers or fuses, etc. Anyway....I'm still learning, and love the PUP, so it's all fun! Would you happen to have the model number for the PD converter or is it the only model with that amperage that they make? Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #4

Here is their web page, it's s pd 4635, they also have a 4645, and 4655.
HTH
4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

Thank you for the link - looks like I might have to alter the mounting area to fit one of these, as they only include directions for replacing the 8900 series WFCO, but I'm willing to do so if needed. Also, I attached the references that I used for my troubleshooting, in case anyone needs more details on what I tested before they can answer...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WFCO-8725P Installation_Operator Manual.pdf (1.30 MB, 101 views)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

Converter issue

I have a 2004 flag staff pop up, and I encountered the same problem with the same converter.After pricing a new converter I was not about to spend that kind of money. Especially since I do not use batteries for my 12 volt system anyway. I always use shore power . However my DC converter part was messed up and my 110 still worked. thus I had no 12 volt lighting. Rather than buy a new converter I simply got a power supply from a tower computer, did some wiring and it works perfectly. I can't the circuit breakers in there for the 110 and the AC circuit
Sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice - ironically I JUST got done installing the new converter about an hour ago - she's working like a charm!