Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
New Tent Trailer Camper

Unhappy Converter and Other Electrical Problems - Rockwood HW256

I recently purchased a 2005 Rockwood HW256 as my first popup, and have been getting it ready for our first trip this weekend. Last evening I realized my converter may not be working. Appreciate any guidance or recommendations on how to best proceed. Let me explain the symptoms:

- when I brought it home (purchased used from a private seller) the battery was dead, so I put my auto charger on it for a couple days. I also had it plugged into shore power. The battery was fully charged, maybe a little over charged; showed 13.6V when done. During this time I came to realize that the only things not working were the Thetford C2 toilet flush motor and overhead exhaust fan. All else seemed to work fine, lights were nice and bright, water pump worked, heater fan runs, etc.
- I wanted to check the converters ability to charge the battery, so I ran down the battery by disconnecting the auto charger and shore-power, and ran the water pump off the battery to de-winterized the camper. I also operated the overhead lights off the battery. After a couple days I started getting a Low Voltage/Fault light/chirp from the gas detector. I checked battery voltage at the terminals and was down to 9.3 V. I plugged in shore-power and over 24hrs the battery voltage was up to 11.6V.
- Maybe a red herring, but while trying to trouble shoot the exhaust fan over the weekend, I measured the voltage at the wire splice which goes into the ceiling (my guess for the lights and fan) near the canvas wall/ceiling above the converter, and it was 6.4V. Hmmm....seems low?
- Last night I went into the trailer while on shore-power, battery voltage 11.4V, and turned on the lights and everything looked dim. I start getting a chirp/red light from the Low Voltage/Fault from the panel. Then I turn the light off, the alarm goes away. I also checked the trailer AC outlets and all read 120V, and no fuses are blown in the converter front panel.
- Now I start thinking that there may be something wrong with the converter. I disconnect the battery, while still connected to shore-power, and the lights no longer work in the trailer. I thought to converter would transform the 120V AC to 12V DC in the absence of a battery, or am I missing something?

Please help. I think there may be multiple issues going on. Thanks
TXRI-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Always Learning

For your last point, I think I've read that some converters need a battery present in order for it to work.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Your analysis is right-on. The converter is not working. There should be a circuit breaker for it. You should turn that off and back on again. If it is working, it will power lights, etc. even when no battery is around. I would suggest pulling it out and making sure that it's got AC power coming into it.

One comment: You shouldn't let your battery get down to 9.x volts. This will shorten its life expectancy.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

I imagine you have a WFCO converter of some sort. There is a trouble-shooting guide for one model series in the Library section of this forum. (It mentions that there is a fuse inside.)

If you have to replace it, most people here seem to look for Progressive Dynamics converters.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The voltage of 13.6V on the battery must be with it still on the charger as a fully charged battery would be around 12.7V.

Sounds like all the DC stuff works off the battery (others than the 2 things that you noted) until the battery charge runs down and obviously, the converter isn't outputting anything to the battery. You can check the converter output by measuring the voltage across the battery leads (with them disconnected from the battery) while on shorepower. You should have around 13.5V output is the converter is working properly.

Dave

Edit: Looks like I'm a little late for the party!

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
New Tent Trailer Camper

Problem solved. I call WFCO technical support and they stepped me through some trouble shooting. In the end it came down to a missing front panel fuse for the Reverse Battery Protection.

Now if I can just get the overhead exhaust fan and the Thetford toilet flush pump to work.

Thanks for the assist. Happy camping.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear the WFCO tech support was able to help you out.

Some of the overhead 12V fans are fused on the unit itself...have you checked that?
The Thetford web site may help you chase down the problem with the flush pump...I guess it's separate from the fresh water pump.

Just think how worth-while camping will feel once you have the problems sorted out!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
New Tent Trailer Camper

Overhead fan problem fixed! I traced out the line and confirmed 12V at the fan controller. Found an open circuit at the switch which cuts power when the vent cover is closed. When the cover was open the switch wasn't closing to complete the electrical circuit. I pressed the switch up/down a dozen times, which must have removed some of the corrosion from the contacts. Now working!

Ok, now my hot water heater won't stay lit, but I'll start a new thread for that.