Old 07-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Correct Tire Pressure for HW277

Hello everyone,

I am new to the camper/pop up world. I have been lurking around here soaking up as much information as possible. I have one question that I could use some assistance. What is the correct tire inflation pressure for my unit? I assume trailer tires are similar to cars and the pressure listed on the tire is the max cold inflation pressure... But I do not see anywhere in my Forest River papers a suggested tire pressure with partial or full load. I have also seen many threads about "China bomb" tires but they seem to follow a pattern of RVs and larger/heavier trailers. Are the pop ups susceptible to the same tire issues? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #2

Fill to max cold and call it good. There is no benefit that I know of to running less on a trailer.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 07-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

trailer usually have a sticker or plate on the side, with tire pressure recommendations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #4

Is there a typical spot this is applied on the trailer? Similar to cars having one on the driver side door?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Incheon, S. Korea

Look on the side of your tires. If they are factory ST tires, they should be filled to max P.S.I. cold.
If you upgrade your tires with ones that have a higher load rating (C vs. D or D vs E), you have to determine how much weight is on the tires and use the appropriate p.s.i. from a load chart.
Also note that ST tires have a speed limit of 65 m.p.h. They will overheat and may fail if you drive at higher speeds for an extended period of time, especially on hot days.
Big trailers like fivers and TTs seem to have more problems with tires than popups.
If you do upgrade your tires, Goodyear Marathons and Maxxis (sp?) seem to be the favorites among the serious RV owners. Light truck tires (LT) are also an option, but that's a whole 'nuther thread! LOL
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

My technical English is not that good, but asume you have a Travel Trailer.
First thougt it was a Lighttruck with a removable vacation house on it.

But for TT's pressure advice is also all about load on the tires.
I can calculate for you an advice pressure with use of my made spreadsheet.
In that I use my own formula wich is even saver then the officially used to make those pressure/loadcapacity lists. Also first a reserve weight is added for things like pressure loss in time , unequall loading R/L, etc.

So if you give weighed seperate wheel(pair) loads at best, second best axle weighing, otherwise we will have to do with the GVWR and GAWR of TT ( Gross vehicle/axle weight rating). for different loading empty weight and estimation of how you load it.

then from tires maximum load and pressure needed for that and maximum speed or speedrating ( ST 65m/h other J=100km/62m/h, N=140km/87m/h, Q=160km/99m/h) . Mosty presented like this "maximum load xxxx lbs AT yyy psi (cold)".

then I will give a picture of my filled in spreadsheet, eventually for both situations.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Simple and easy method is read the max cold pressure on the tire and inflate to that pressure. No pain, no strain and it's fast!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #8

Thanks for all the responses so far. My unit came with Akuret tires that I want to switch out for either Good Year, Kumho, or Maxxis. Will most chain tire places do this or do I need to take my unit to a RV repair shop?

Old 07-08-2014, 05:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Billy View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. My unit came with Akuret tires that I want to switch out for either Good Year, Kumho, or Maxxis. Will most chain tire places do this or do I need to take my unit to a RV repair shop?

Any tire company can change your tires out. They just use a floor jack to remove the old and install the new. GY dealer in Lumberton NC put on 4 new tires on mine after I had a blow out. Went with Marathon tires had them on another trailer and never had a problem, so when I took off my Trail Express that came installed new, I went back to GY Marathons. I know Maxxis is a good tire but do not know much about Kumho. But yes go to a tire dealer not your RV dealers....... By the way your tires probably did not get balanced at the factory, I suggest you should pay the extra couple of bucks to have them balanced. they will probably ask if you want that included.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire