Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Cover for Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD

Hi,
This is my very first post on this great forum. Can anyone recommend a source for a good cover for our Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD (12 ft long, 7 ft wide)? We’re storing it outdoors in the side yard of a friend and we want it to look as nice as possible there.
Thank you! Jim aka Merlefester
__________________

Merlefester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlefester View Post
Hi,
This is my very first post on this great forum. Can anyone recommend a source for a good cover for our Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD (12 ft long, 7 ft wide)? We’re storing it outdoors in the side yard of a friend and we want it to look as nice as possible there.
Thank you! Jim aka Merlefester
Be very careful, even the expensive ones can damage your paint and if it very humid, cause condensation on or in your camper.

I had a very expensive one years ago and even though it was strapped down tightly as it should had been, high winds caused it to chafe the edges of the roof and take the paint off. Luckily I found it before any bad damage was done and threw the cover in the garbage. I also always had water on the roof even though it was suppose to be breathable. Haven't had one since.

Many makers recommend against covers for those reasons. Indoor storage in a shed or barn is really the only solution for safely getting them out of the weather.
__________________

__________________
2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91 View Post
Be very careful, even the expensive ones can damage your paint and if it very humid, cause condensation on or in your camper.

I had a very expensive one years ago and even though it was strapped down tightly as it should had been, high winds caused it to chafe the edges of the roof and take the paint off. Luckily I found it before any bad damage was done and threw the cover in the garbage. I also always had water on the roof even though it was suppose to be breathable. Haven't had one since.

Many makers recommend against covers for those reasons. Indoor storage in a shed or barn is really the only solution for safely getting them out of the weather.
Thank you Mike! This is good to know. This is my first investigation into this. Gathering facts. Sounds like it might not be a good idea!
Merlefester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 7,194
Permapro

https://classicaccessories.com/catal.../category/107/

Had this cover since 2013 w/o any issue to cover or camper. Had other covers you couldn't give me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RhtKAD0sz7Q
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
Seasonal

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
https://classicaccessories.com/catal.../category/107/

Had this cover since 2013 w/o any issue to cover or camper. Had other covers you couldn't give me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RhtKAD0sz7Q
Thanks! Is your cover for a pop up? Looks like this company makes a good product.
Merlefester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 7,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlefester View Post
Thanks! Is your cover for a pop up? Looks like this company makes a good product.
Sorry wrong link...And yes I do like the quality and think this would work good for pups.

https://classicaccessories.com/rv?cat=115

I would also suggest padding area's that may rub. I use pipe wrap for padding on my TT's sharps or area's of concern .

Padding the corners of the roof is doable to prevent rubbing.

That said, indoor storage is always a better option.
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
Seasonal

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Member
 
Tiguan Tow r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 81
A few years ago we bought an Adeco RV cover (10'-12' cover) for our Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD trailer. Wasn't sure if this was a good move based on some of the negative reports about quality of covers by other posters but we thought we'd try it out. This the first time we put a cover on one of our RV's. We were really impressed with the quality of a “breathable” cover costing only $59 Cdn plus shipping at the time. It was more heavy material than some of the cheap auto covers we have used to cover our '64 Corvair in the past. The cover looked well manufactured with reinforcement in all the pinch point areas with tie down belts and buckles that go under the trailer to hold it on. I thought we would also have to use rope to tie it down - but not so. We used cut pool noodles on all the "sharp" points of the trailer, bumper ends, stabilizers, propane tank handle, frame corners, etc.

After the first winter, there was 1 small hole in the cover where it had rubbed through (one of the pool noodles shifted). We patched it with the material patch included with the cover. Our experience was positive with using the cover in outside storage. Unfortunately we no longer have the trailer.
Attached Images
 
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Thanks Folks! I think we’re gonna give the PolyPRO 3 a whirl. Almost all reviews are great. We really want it to look nice in our buddy’s yard. Can’t afford indoor storage, no way.... I’ll report back in a year or so to let you all know how it worked out.
Merlefester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlefester View Post
Thanks Folks! I think we’re gonna give the PolyPRO 3 a whirl. Almost all reviews are great. We really want it to look nice in our buddy’s yard. Can’t afford indoor storage, no way.... I’ll report back in a year or so to let you all know how it worked out.
That is the same cover I have on my 1640ltd and it works great. It is a little large, and I wish the top wasn't white. Other than that, no complaints. Found mine on Amazon a couple years ago for a good price.
__________________

Spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cover, freedom, rockwood

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.