Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Dampness under mattress issue solved

Hello All…I am new to this forum but have been experiencing some of the same issues that other FR owners have. My wife and I purchased a 2010 Rockwood freedom which we now have been using for 2 summers. The problem of dampness under the bunks was never an issue, simply because I had never noticed it before. On a trip mid-summer summer I notice that both under our mattress and the boys (9 year old Twins) there was a significant amount of condensation.

I set out to research a solution and that is when I realized that others were having the same issue. I took some advice and tried to insulate the bunks with Reflectix. Quick note….Home Depot Canada is more than willing to sell you 48”x 10’ role of Reflectix for $37.99, so I bought 2. However if you actually do some research Lowes Canada sells 48”x25’ roles for about $45. Home Depot does not sell 25’ roles so no price matching. I thought the Relectix was a great idea because it was relatively thin and I was concerned about adding to much height to the bunks and functionally it was a sound choice.

The Reflectix worked as advertised, the bunks were extremely cosy, no cold or damp feeling climbing into bed. However, as you all know it did not solve the issue of condensation forming under the mattress. In fact, I think there was more condensation under the boy’s mattress. I assume because they are younger and have a faster metabolism and generate more body heat when they sleep. Back to the internet and forums for research.

The problem is lack of air circulation under the mattress. Cold air from under the bunk is meeting the warm air generated by your body and condensation is formed. I found one product that people had recommended for marine use…HyperVent HyperVent Marine - Putting An End To Condensation. The product was thick at ¾” and very expensive. Another recommendation was Dry-Dek, again expensive. After more searching I found what I thought was the perfect solution. 3D fabric, a number of Chinese manufacturers sell 3D fabric that some call “mattress spacers”. This seemed like that perfect solution, but I could not find any supplier in Canada or NA for that matter that sells the product.

Walking through Lowes I saw a product called Delta MS it is used to waterproof concrete foundations. Not to optimal solution but it would probably work, but again expensive…I need 14 feet and it is sold in 100+ foot roles. It just so happened that we were having some renovations done so I asked our contractor if he had any at his shop. In discussing the issue with him he had another solution…he had just installed a Cedar roof and used a product designed to create air flow under cedar shingles which he did have laying around. The product is called Cedar Breather and is manufactured by Benjanim Obdyke. Cedar Breather Underlayment from Benjamin Obdyke. This is an amazing product specifications below…IT HAS SOLVED THE DAMPNESS ISSUE IN OUR TENT TRAILER by allowing air circulation under the mattress. It is thin at .27” and does not compress much and is extremely light weight. Now we are cosy with the Reflectix and dry with the Cedar Breather.

Specifications
- Width: 39”

- Length: 61 ½’

- Coverage: 200 sq ft

- Weight: 9.7 lbs per roll / .778 oz/sq ft

-Compression & thickness:
Zero lbs/ft² - .27 in
100 lbs/ft² - .26 in
200 lbs/ft² - .25 in

- Warranty: 50-Year Limited

- Patents: 5,099,627 US
zoomer32ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

this is an interesting product, similar to Hypervent.
how much was it and it what size?

this is an issue with hybrids, also.
thanx for the info and review.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

I believe that it sells for about $119 for a 39"x 65' role. I got very lucky, my contractor had some laying around and just gave me what I needed.
zoomer32ca is offline   Reply With Quote