Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
New Tent Trailer Camper

Dealer Maintenance - FR Authorized?

We are finishing up our 2015 camping season and in need of completing some repairs to our 2006 Rockwood HW256 pup. Most maintenance items are due to age/wear and not that difficult, just takes time I'm personally short on right now. I've never taken my pup (purchased used 2013), to a dealer for corrective maintenance/repairs, or for annual maintenance, but should I be? If I do, can most any RV dealer do maintenance on our pup, or is it strongly advised to find a Forest River dealer (we are in Northern VA)? Things on the list are:
* replace front jack, pole slightly bent
* electric lift system unreliable; often not enough power (even after new battery), have had to use power drill several times
* re-caulk all joints, dried out and breaking off around top
* fan-tastic vent not working, on/off limit switch rusted out
* clips on awning support poles to lock to correct length missing, need repair parts; using hose clamps at the moment
* stabilizers look bent, is this just normal; there must be stronger more rigid ones
* door doesn't fit well (no idea how this came to be!), and lock is ineffective
* looking for outdoor accessories, such as outdoor stove to attach to side using gas line connection

Thank you, Doug

Old 10-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

At this point, you have no warranty and therefore don't need to stick to FR authorized dealers.

But IMO, forget dealers. Find a RV service center and take it there. Finding a good dealer is a rarity. Whereas service centers rely on quality work to stay in business. Check reviews and pick one.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Pickin' & Campin'

You are certainly well out of any factory warranty and none of the items you mentioned are propitiatory enough that would require factory specific trained/knowledgeable technicians. No need to find a FR dealer unless you choose to.

If you know of a good RV repair facility, I would bet they could handle all those concerns pretty easily.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You are certainly well out of any factory warranty and none of the items you mentioned are propitiatory enough that would require factory specific trained/knowledgeable technicians. No need to find a FR dealer unless you choose to.

If you know of a good RV repair facility, I would bet they could handle all those concerns pretty easily.
X 2 but if you want to make the trip to Goshen next year you can get things fix by FR for free. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 but if you want to make the trip to Goshen next year you can get things fix by FR for free. Later RJD

I thought they were starting to restrict that to just original owners...?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Do FR at the Gohan change the crap bag awning to any kind of crank style? My HW is to darn tall
Old 10-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Do FR at the Gohan change the crap bag awning to any kind of crank style? My HW is to darn tall
Say what?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:

That's an upgrade, not a warranty issue. But, could you open the bag while the camper is 2/3rd of the way open and just let the awning hang while you finish raising it?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
The service at Goshen generally is related to what would have normally been covered under warranty, but is serviced at the rally regardless of age or owner. In your case, since your bag awning is not defective, it would not be replaced with a crank style. That doesn't mean you can't ask in a nice way with a smile, but generally the answer would be "no". That's my opinion based on attending three Goshen rallies but you can always try.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I thought they were starting to restrict that to just original owners...?
I don't think so unless that is something new. This question came up before the 2015 rally and FROG Bob stated all FR RV's would be serviced regardless if it was the original owner or otherwise.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, maintenance