Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
New Tent Trailer Camper

Dealer Maintenance - FR Authorized?

We are finishing up our 2015 camping season and in need of completing some repairs to our 2006 Rockwood HW256 pup. Most maintenance items are due to age/wear and not that difficult, just takes time I'm personally short on right now. I've never taken my pup (purchased used 2013), to a dealer for corrective maintenance/repairs, or for annual maintenance, but should I be? If I do, can most any RV dealer do maintenance on our pup, or is it strongly advised to find a Forest River dealer (we are in Northern VA)? Things on the list are:
* replace front jack, pole slightly bent
* electric lift system unreliable; often not enough power (even after new battery), have had to use power drill several times
* re-caulk all joints, dried out and breaking off around top
* fan-tastic vent not working, on/off limit switch rusted out
* clips on awning support poles to lock to correct length missing, need repair parts; using hose clamps at the moment
* stabilizers look bent, is this just normal; there must be stronger more rigid ones
* door doesn't fit well (no idea how this came to be!), and lock is ineffective
* looking for outdoor accessories, such as outdoor stove to attach to side using gas line connection

Thank you, Doug
TXRI-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Always Learning

At this point, you have no warranty and therefore don't need to stick to FR authorized dealers.

But IMO, forget dealers. Find a RV service center and take it there. Finding a good dealer is a rarity. Whereas service centers rely on quality work to stay in business. Check reviews and pick one.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You are certainly well out of any factory warranty and none of the items you mentioned are propitiatory enough that would require factory specific trained/knowledgeable technicians. No need to find a FR dealer unless you choose to.

If you know of a good RV repair facility, I would bet they could handle all those concerns pretty easily.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You are certainly well out of any factory warranty and none of the items you mentioned are propitiatory enough that would require factory specific trained/knowledgeable technicians. No need to find a FR dealer unless you choose to.

If you know of a good RV repair facility, I would bet they could handle all those concerns pretty easily.
X 2 but if you want to make the trip to Goshen next year you can get things fix by FR for free. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
X 2 but if you want to make the trip to Goshen next year you can get things fix by FR for free. Later RJD

I thought they were starting to restrict that to just original owners...?
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #6

Do FR at the Gohan change the crap bag awning to any kind of crank style? My HW is to darn tall
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Do FR at the Gohan change the crap bag awning to any kind of crank style? My HW is to darn tall
Say what?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:

That's an upgrade, not a warranty issue. But, could you open the bag while the camper is 2/3rd of the way open and just let the awning hang while you finish raising it?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
The service at Goshen generally is related to what would have normally been covered under warranty, but is serviced at the rally regardless of age or owner. In your case, since your bag awning is not defective, it would not be replaced with a crank style. That doesn't mean you can't ask in a nice way with a smile, but generally the answer would be "no". That's my opinion based on attending three Goshen rallies but you can always try.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I thought they were starting to restrict that to just original owners...?
I don't think so unless that is something new. This question came up before the 2015 rally and FROG Bob stated all FR RV's would be serviced regardless if it was the original owner or otherwise.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
I don't think so unless that is something new. This question came up before the 2015 rally and FROG Bob stated all FR RV's would be serviced regardless if it was the original owner or otherwise.
Lloydg, you're right. I found the post that I apparently incorrectly remembered:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post814991

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
A couple of corrections / clarifications to some of the information above. You do not have to be the original owner to get service at Goshen.

The purpose of the service is primarily to deal with:
1) first and foremost, any safety issues
2) problems / fixes / adjustments / repairs that would have been covered if the unit were still under warranty (or even if it is)

It's not intended for "upgrades" such as:
a) I have fabric furniture and wish I had leather, or
b) I was at an RV show recently and saw a trailer the same brand as mine (although much larger and seven years newer) that had two entrances, and it was so cool that I'd like you to cut a hole in the side of my trailer and add a second entrance door and stairs and modify the layout inside to accommodate the new entrance, or
c) I've hit tree limbs twice and put holes in my roof and want you to replace my roof so that I don't have to tell my insurance company, or
d) I live in the south and don't need a furnace, so remove my furnace, construct a storage area, add a storage compartment door, and let me keep my furnace so I can sell it.

By the way, those are not made up. They are all requests that we received last year.

Several weeks ago I got an e-mail from someone who told me he'd just bought a used popup at a price that he thought was a great deal. Now it turns out that there are all kinds of problems, mostly unspecified. He's heard that we do repairs at the FROG Rally, so he'd like us to go over the unit and fix everything that's wrong with it. No.

As for AC's reportedly not cooling the unit, that's the issue to be addressed. The issue is not "replace my AC's with bigger ones."
Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
That's an upgrade, not a warranty issue. But, could you open the bag while the camper is 2/3rd of the way open and just let the awning hang while you finish raising it?
Hey there Ependydad,
That is not the problem, the problem is trying to roll it up when a big wind hits while camping. The roof is very high and finding several tables to stand on (it is not a one person job) can be problematic. I have also gone inside on the beds and reached out, but still need someone standing on the picnic table outside to roll it up. And even funnier (Not) in the middle of the night.
Really do not want to take down the shepards poles, bathroom and support braces to lower the roof to roll up the awning either...... Then set them all back up again[emoji15] ....it is the biggest PITA part of the high walls.
At the moment there is no upgrade to the bag awnings that forest river/rockwood recommends. I have asked.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Hey there Ependydad,
That is not the problem, the problem is trying to roll it up when a big wind hits while camping. The roof is very high and finding several tables to stand on (it is not a one person job) can be problematic. I have also gone inside on the beds and reached out, but still need someone standing on the picnic table outside to roll it up. And even funnier (Not) in the middle of the night.
Really do not want to take down the shepards poles, bathroom and support braces to lower the roof to roll up the awning either...... Then set them all back up again[emoji15] ....it is the biggest PITA part of the high walls.
At the moment there is no upgrade to the bag awnings that forest river/rockwood recommends. I have asked.
I never thought about the sudden need to take it down. I do recall on my pop-up having to do that once as a storm was coming in. I remember that storm well- nothing quite like laying on the bunk end and having lift you up. Forgot about the awning part.

It's not a solution, but might help the hassle of using tables- could you carry a ladder or multi-step stool?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
The bag awning works fine but if a high winds come up or heavy rain I can't roll up the awning if the pup is setup. I wanted a roll up style (like a TT) but they say I can't due to weight. But a 2008 starcraft star stream pup had one.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #15

Galsofescape starcraft had a roll up back in 2008 on their pup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444939672611.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	91641  
Old 10-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #16
peaceparson

I don't usually boast specific businesses, but in this case, I will recommend Smith RV in Monroe, Indiana and Sullivan RV, north of Decatur. Both have excellent staff, most of whom are well-trained former employees of Fleetwood in Decatur. Both handle new and used equipment of different brand names. It might be a bit of a trip, but well worth the investment of time if you can't find good help elsewhere.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #17

That looks awsome! I'd pay $1000 to get one of those on my 2514G. It is truly a PITA to try to take that thing down during an impending storm. And I am not standing on a ladder in a wind storm either! Here in MN, the wind basically never stops blowing and often decides to gust on a whim. Since we got this camper in February we decided never to use it and bought a Clam screen tent instead. If needed, I can take the Clam down in just a couple minutes. I remember standing on a cooler in my underwear at 1am during a rain and lightning storm with high winds trying to save the awning on our old camper. Never used it again after that. May just take it off and sell the damn thing and save 40 lbs.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #18

I have a Forest River MH (Legacy 340BH) that I bought at Reines RV in Manassas and store at Holly Acres RV and Boat storage/service near Potomac Mills.

Holly Acres just started selling FR travel trailers.

I've had a single service experience at both places and plan to rely on Holly Acres in the future. At Reines, you're forced to work through a service desk that never seems to know what's going on. At Holly Acres, you're talking to the tech.

Tags
dealer, maintenance