Old 07-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

Dealers 30 days warranty on used Pop-Ups

I was wondering what is normally covered by an authorized dealers 30-day warranty when buying a used 2006 pop up camper.

Should I expect them to verify the wheels bearing and have them repacked if needed? What about repairs such as the front cover lid which is broken and cracked and lets lots of water in the tub when raining or driving in the rain? I also have a bump (like a bubble) on the side of the spare tire.

These are all things that should be repaired free of charge, before delivery or at least repaired within the 30-day period?

The reason I ask is that I have to go back to the dealer for a few things like that, and more and wanted to know my rights and their obligations.

Included pictures of tire and holes in front tub lid (and busted piano hinge)

Thank you for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190715_160635.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	209971   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_125813.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	209972  

Marphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Team

There is no standard 30 day warranty, in the RV world, that I know of.
Not sure what makes them an "Authorized" dealer.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
Lacey's Spring, AL

What you may be referring to are all things you can already 'see' and should be aware of during your purchase... that may well impact you being able to somehow justify it later, whether a warranty is in place or not. Warranties generally mean that the unit is able to travel and be used for the expectation that one has when purchasing it, not necessarily that 'everything' on a 14 model year old vehicle, or RV in this case, is 'brand new' or 'just like it would be from the factory'.

I suspect this 'warranty' is more a sales ploy than anything you can hang your hat on, and even if there is a written notice of the warranty, it may also exclude many things. If it's not in writing, then, as Judge Judy would say, it's just 'puffery', a way to sell something.

BEFORE you take possession of the unit, give the dealer your repair 'list' and let them 'repair' these items, or else you'll walk(or else you'll still buy it and deal with it yourself).

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #4

I doubt the dealer will fix any of this stuff on an old pop-up.
Sorry for the bad news, that 30 day dealer warranty will have enough exclusions to make it look like Swiss cheese on paper mache'.
A 30 day dealer warranty is simply a sales tool.
OP you need to discover this stuff before you buy it.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

Hate to say this, your paperwork probably stated ďas isĒ.......

Definition? Google is your friend.
pkmkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

They probably just cover major items like the lift..

I doubt if anything you've described here is covered but you'll never know unless you ask. I would and I'd push it as far as you can take it.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

Maybe it will all be ok.
I wouldnít fret the tire. Chances are you need a whole set anyway(14Ē Endurance 3 pc at $300 plus mount/balance)
I would ask them to fix the leak CORRECTLY and use the crappy tire as leverage.

Even if they say they inspected and repacked the bearings I would have a look. Hour or so if your time and $30-40 worth of new bearings and seals(assuming) and you will be ok.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #8

Thank you for your responses. Not very encouraging though but I do understand.

These forums are amazing. Thank you all.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #9

i would try to get anything you can fixed they can only say no,

and that is where you are now

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #10

I agree with muddyrode, get your list go to the dealer and see what good your warranty really is. Many just want to assume that the dealer will do nothing, sometimes thatís true sometimes not.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #11

Surprised a dealer gave any guarantee on a used popup. 30days would be a dream. You could do a fair shakedown of everything with that.
Most only give an As Is guarantee or have a Limited Warranty on certain things.

Some smaller dealers might pencil in some type of warranty. Never hurts to ask and negotiate. But unless it's all in writing it's just smoke in the wind.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

Well, guess what? I brought it in today and had about 10-12 issues to fix. Spoke directly with the Service dept manager. He said he would fix it all in the next 2 days. We shall see then. Here are some of the items that needed addressing:
  • propane water heater pilot flame too big, so pilot needs to be changed
  • Propane water heater thermostat does not work, Heater just keeps going and going and water / vapor is coming out of emergency valve
  • Bubble on side of spare tire (Said he would give me a better and safer used spare)
  • Front tub full of water, the cover and top piano hinge is broken. He said he would replace it
  • Awning support for horizontal rails are missing. Said he would add them
  • The lock on the tall door does not work, only works on the little door (When pop-up trailer is down). He said he would change it and made sure it's keyed the same.
  • Verification of the fuse capacities on Converter as they are not labeled.

So either he is not being truthful, which I really doubt, or he really does stand behind his 30-day warranty. I will definitely keep you guys posted by the end of the week.

thanks again
Old 07-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #14

We, I couldn't believe, but it's true; the retailer that sold me the 2006 pop-up camper did indeed change and fix everything on my list, free of charge, as part of the 30-day warranty. I am more than pleased.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marphi View Post
We, I couldn't believe, but it's true; the retailer that sold me the 2006 pop-up camper did indeed change and fix everything on my list, free of charge, as part of the 30-day warranty. I am more than pleased.

I would post the dealer's name and number all over the web with this well-deserved praise.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marphi View Post
Well, guess what? I brought it in today and had about 10-12 issues to fix. Spoke directly with the Service dept manager. He said he would fix it all in the next 2 days. We shall see then. Here are some of the items that needed addressing:
  • propane water heater pilot flame too big, so pilot needs to be changed
  • Propane water heater thermostat does not work, Heater just keeps going and going and water / vapor is coming out of emergency valve
  • Bubble on side of spare tire (Said he would give me a better and safer used spare)
  • Front tub full of water, the cover and top piano hinge is broken. He said he would replace it
  • Awning support for horizontal rails are missing. Said he would add them
  • The lock on the tall door does not work, only works on the little door (When pop-up trailer is down). He said he would change it and made sure it's keyed the same.
  • Verification of the fuse capacities on Converter as they are not labeled.

So either he is not being truthful, which I really doubt, or he really does stand behind his 30-day warranty. I will definitely keep you guys posted by the end of the week.

thanks again
Wow, if he's going to fix it free of charge, that's one heck of a dealer. Most used campers would not have a warranty that covers that. Heck, if I could find a dealer like that, I may consider buying used. Sounds like he's refurbishing the camper to be in like new condition.

Now since he's doing all this work for an unheard of, no charge, did you actually pay for all the work in a higher than normal price for that used camper?

Regardless, it's all working in your favor. I never bought used because all the issues you state and many bigger issues, were plaguing most used campers and they were sold as is. If you wanted them fixed, dealer would fix them for sure, but on your dime at that hourly rate and over bloated parts upcharge.

Good deal!
2016 Ford F150 XLT, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 5.0L, 6 speed, 3.73 9.75" Locking Axle, 1890# Payload, SAE J2807 method Actual 10,720# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet. Trucks and Trailers.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 AM   #17

What say the naysayers now? Many dealers are good. Just give them a chance.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #18

That is spectacular!
Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #19

Always a great pleasure when people follow through on their promises. Promise made Promise kept.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
What say the naysayers now? Many dealers are good. Just give them a chance.
Definitely not a naysayer, just wanted to add there are good and bad in every profession/business.

RV dealers donít hold the monopoly on bad dealers, itís up to us, the consumer to do due diligence on any purchase one makes, especially in this area, where the sky is the proverbial limit as to purchase price.

Tags
dealer, warranty