Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Does this look factory, for Rockwood 2280 pup?

This is my fresh water holding tank on my new Rockwood 2280 pup. Does the sealant look factory or does anyone think it was added? My step was damaged when I picked it out so I'm worried maybe the tank was too?

ElectricCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:59 PM   #2

Hard to tell. They could have added that at the factory to fix a defective tank that came in or it got damaged on the factory floor or in the production process and they fixed it.

I agree that it looks repaired but it is hard to tell who stuck that goop on there.

Does it leak?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCity View Post
This is my fresh water holding tank on my new Rockwood 2280 pup. Does the sealant look factory or does anyone think it was added? My step was damaged when I picked it out so I'm worried maybe the tank was too?

Uff-dah!! That's terrible!!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #4

When I came home the tank was full. There was a wet spot (very small) under the tank and a drip on the corner. I poked at it for a min and it never dripped again. The next morning I inspected it and the spot on the driveway was gone and it never dripped again. I'm not 100% sure the water drip was from that spot on the tank but it was on the corner were this sealant is. The tank remained full well above this sealant so I would have assumed it would have continued to leak. The sealant on the bottom isnt hard. Its pliable like roof sealant, similar to what they use on the edges of rv roofs.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

I'd love to see someone else's pop ups tank
Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

"ElectricCity"....

The fitting at the bottom should look just like the water inlet fitting or vent at the top. Nice clean factory fitting. So... I don't know why it has been plastic/welded or have sealant around it if it is 'new'.

Also, my concern was drawn to the dangling white wire that is in the picture. It looks to be 110 volt wire and IMO should be secured and have a protective cable cover over it so it would not be subject to any chafe.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #7

Ya I gotta clean up the wiring its all just kinda ran loose with no loom
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

The tanks fittings are essentially glued in with high temperature hot melt glue. They have a shoulder that extends well beyond the opening in the tank. When you set the fitting both sides are sanded to provide a bite for the glue,wiped with acetone to clean then the hot melt is applied and the fitting placed. A small amount of hot melt should squeeze out of the joint but what you show is a new experience.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:58 PM   #9

I would not be happy with that on a new rig. I the damaged step is a tell-tale that something happened post-factory.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #10

That is a repair. Those tanks use spin on fittings. They are spun at high speed till they melt to the tank. Should be no adhesive.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #11

I sent the pics to a service advisor.... Needless to say she called me to inform me that they ordered me a new tank
Old 07-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #12

Thanks all for the input

Tags
factory