Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

Dometic Trim Line Awning

Does anyone know where I can find the small black cups that fit on the bottom of the ground poles? I called Dometic and they do not show it on the drawings and the manual I got only shows the socket bracket being used for the pole. This cup protects the ball on the pole that would go into the bracket if the awning was set up with both poles against the side of the camper. We found out this weekend that setup with all four poles inserted into the side of the camper........pulls the roof too much to that awning side making it hard to set the door in place at the top. Using the ground poles on the ground works out perfectly.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #2

I would look at your local hardware store for something that fits it. Probably alot cheaper. I stopped trying to connect the top two fittings on the door because of the weight of the awning not to mention REALLY windy days.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Hey Trevor, I'm a newby to the forum but not to pop ups. We recently sold our 1994 Starcraft Starflite of 8 years enjoyment and bought a 2009 FR Rockwood Freedom 1940 LTD. I love the upgrades with this FR. Especially the electric lift.

What I have found is that the lift rods ( poles ) on this FR are not as sturdy as was the Starcraft and allows for minute side shift variance. With this Pup we rec'd 2 lifter support corner brackets, whereas the other we never needed them. Just a guess, but unless you are not on pretty level ground this may be causing your "pulling" problem, resulting in your door problem.

We also use the sidewall support brackets for our awning and have not noticed any pulling. Actually I was impressed as too how little the awning actually does pull, as this was one of my concerns of having the awning primarily attached to the pup itself.

My only complaint, actually not with the awning itself, are with the attached nylon ties inside the bag. They are very cheap and I have already ripped 2 of them off when securing the rolled awning.

As HONDAMAN174 had suggested, the hardware shop would be the best to look for plastic feet covers. That would be my 1st stop as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

The weight of the awning itself pulls the top over towards the door not allowing you use use the clips atthe top of the door......if you use the ground poles of the awning instead of putting on the side of the lower camper....the weight of the awning won't pull the top over towards the door.......the ground poles take the weight of the awning and transfer it to the ground.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Trevor, now you have me thinking. We have a Dometic Trimline on ours also, but don't seem to be experiencing what you are. I will definitely be more aware next time we set up it up. I was very impressed as to how light, on the poles, it is when fully opened. We are going to set it up this weekend so it will give me a chance to check again. Thanks for the heads up.

p.s I would still say check your supports for any "excessive" movement. I know our new PUPs supports move more than our other ever thought of.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

Update......because last weekend we had to pack up the camper in the rain......I have had it open for the last few days to make sure it dries out really well. So I am walking around checking things out and say to myself........let's put the ground poles into the sockets on the side of the camper and see what happens........viola......works perfect........door is perfectly lined up. So now I know why the door was doing that thing at the top. I may have had too much pressure on the stabilizer jacks and this caused the frame to to twist some.....duh!!!!! I do remember the door being kind of difficult to get into place correctly when we were setting up. I use a rechargeable drill to run the jacks up and down and I must have put too much pressure on the jacks in some places. So once again, the world is a wonderful place to live in. My wife still prefers to have them on the ground because it makes it easier to walk in and out of the camp area. I know I walked into the poles and few times when they were at angles and it had nothing to do with the wine, I swear.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #7

That's great to hear! I love easy fixes too. Makes life more bearable, especially with Wine........ LOL. On our pup we have crank down jacks on the back and b/c there were none on the front ( scratching my head as to why there were none on the front ) we had a problem with the shifting from going in and out. So this past weekend I installed a pair of fold downs on the front and all is good once again. It doesn't take much to make a person ( me ) happy.
With this awning now attached to the wall, we had the same problem as you and your wife with the poles jumping out at us. Our other pup had the poles that went to the ground. So we re-arranged the campsite tables differently so we would purposely avoid walking into the poles. Less hazardous that way. Works for now, not sure about next time. I'm sure we will have forgotten by then. Ha Ha. What was that again about WINE? LOL
We have been really lucky weather wise. Got caught in a rain storm once while we were camping. Not good when you have 2 big dogs tagging along. Yuk! Yep, life is good.

Tags
awning