Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESDSKeith View Post
I think it is more flexing which straightens out. I've noticed this happens a few times. Mine is a new popup. Just level it out front to back and side to side before you bring down the door frame and put it all together. I've noticed this we hen it is all closed up and not leveled. Advice.....always open top couple inches before opening your door so you don't tear the weather strip on the top edge.

i learned that lesson the hard way. Ended up ripping the gasket right off the door. Will not make that mistake again. Now I unclip the top and lift the top up a bit in order to open the door. Not 2", but enough to clear the gasket. It would be too much of a pain to raise the roof everytime I wanted to put/get something from the pup.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #12

Yes, I raise it just enough so gasket doesn't hit. I learned hard way also. Mine was already partially torn when I bought it new! Dealer replaced it.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

Lol thought I was the only one that tried and failed openning the pup door without raising the top. New gasket in garage waiting to be put on!!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #14

Door problemo

Here are pics showing the door misalignment to the frame. No variance whether level or not. I do not level using the stabs but I do tend to make them pretty snug. I am wondering if my trailer frame may just be bent? The problem gets worse when anyone is on the front bunk. The door would even pop open because the latch wasn't catching (too much gap). I am able to keep it closed now by adding an extension piece of metal on the door frame that the latch will catch on. The gap is big enough that moths and mosquitos can sneak in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer door 1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	62336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer door 2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	62337  
Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Can you not shim the top & middle hinges to close the gap?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #16

Wow. Mine wasn't like that. Enough to make door not open or close, but yours is much more off. Not sure what to say.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Can you not shim the top & middle hinges to close the gap?
Not exactly sure how I would do that but I'll open it up tomorrow and give that a ponder.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:28 PM   #18

Before you try to shim the door besure you are absolute level both front and back and side to side if you go to the big box store and pickup some formica samples you can cut these with scissors the proper width and use as shims.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #19

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad news, but here goes. I had an older model Starcraft popup. It must have taken moisture at some point, before we owned the unit. I had door alignment issues related to the wing beds being occupied. (The door would pop open in the middle of the night!) I went camping with a friend in Ohio and he said wait a minute! He got into the wing bed and had me observe the door popping open. The trailer was flexing at the door opening. It appeared to me the door latch post had come loose from the wood floor. I did not see any attachment of the door post to the trailer frame. I used lag screws to attach angle iron to the door post and the floor. The flexing stopped and the door did not pop open anymore when the wing beds were occupied. (Ugly solution, but it worked!) I just thought I would add this as an information point. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
door, frame