Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #1

Door frame

2014 Rockwood freedom1950. Brand new. We are in the middle of our third trip of the the year with our new camper. All is going well. This trip is a mix of Boondock and wet camping. All is working well except when we pulled into our last campground and set up the camper The door won't shut properly. The door frame is installed properly and fits fine. The door itself just won't shut. We have to slam it and force it to get it to shut. It is as if the frame is now slightly too small for the door.

We can get by while we're camping by forcing it shut. But I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #2

Just posted a similar problem with my 2003 model 1950. Didn't start for about 5 years and got progressively worse. Not sure what's up and hoping to get some input off of here too.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #3

I had a 2280BH and had problems from time to time getting the door frame to line up. The roof AC and awning tended to pull the roof off center quite a bit when the trailer was level. I ended up having to guy wire the roof to one side to prevent it. I found that if I forced the frame to line up without doing that, the door behaved as you describe. It MAY be that your door frame is being put in a bind somehow.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #4

I have had this issue before and found out that when lowering the stabilizer jacks if it lifts the box any instead of just touching the ground can make the box twist some and the door frame and door closing to misbehave. If you are using the stabilizer to level your camper............well there you go.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #5

I periodically had problems with my door also. Always attributed it to just a pop up thing since the doors have to be designed the way they are and are not that strong. You also have the problem of the door entrance. There is no bracing at all between the walls. You basically only have the frame underneath connecting both sides. This allows for lots of flex I think. I never could quite figure it out myself and will also be interested in what others have to say.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

We started having the same problem on our new hw 276. Had to take it to the dealer due to the grille hose was ilnot long enough and told them about the door. They some how had to realign the door ( not sure hpw) but now its fixed. I have the problem if I over due the stabs still. So watch it using those.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #7

I am hoping to avoid it with my new HW296. We will see.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #8

I ran into this issue also and found out that leveling the trailer will correct this. I think when not leveled the frame twists a bit. Don't level trailer with stabilizer jacks.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Yeah. I wonder if I caused the problem myself with either cranking up the stabilizers too much or maybe thinking my WDH somehow bent the frame during travel. I am sure with the different dips and twists that occur on the road that the frame is under lots of stress. Would seem possible that the frame could bend on a Pop up.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #10

I think it is more flexing which straightens out. I've noticed this happens a few times. Mine is a new popup. Just level it out front to back and side to side before you bring down the door frame and put it all together. I've noticed this we hen it is all closed up and not leveled. Advice.....always open top couple inches before opening your door so you don't tear the weather strip on the top edge.

Tags
door, frame