Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Door problems

Hi all,

First post here. I just picked up my 2017 HW277 and so far am loving it. I can't seem to make the door set into the frame right though. When you set the door down into the frame, the top aluminum panel that sticks above the door is way past where the retainers are (the retainers are mounted where they would be on top of the flat aluminum panel). My question is this: Is that even the correct placement for the top retainers? There doesn't seem to be any way that it will fit where they are currently mounted. After watching the DVD that came with the pup, the retainers that are shown (albeit an older model) are on the side of the aluminum panel. Any guidance appreciated.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum it is a great place to get your questions answered there are lots of pup owners here to help you out
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

In our 2014 HW27KS (Flagstaff version of the HW277), the clips at the top only fit correctly when the camper is perfectly level.

These models also have an issue where the front wall pulls away when the bed is pulled out. This can also affect door fit. Since yours is new, it's probably not that, but just giving you a heads up. I've found info about that problem over on the Forest River Forum.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Sham183

Make sure you are not putting to much pressure one the frame with the stabilizing jacks. If you are it can cause the frame to flex and the door among others things may not fit or work properly.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome and replies so far. So what I'm experiencing is definitely not an issue with flex. The stabilizers were lowered to the ground and then turned maybe a half turn. The door assembly sets into the frame with no binding or anything. The problem I have is that the retainer clips on the top of the door don't allow the door to rest up against the wall and clip in. It's like they were either installed too low, or in the wrong place somehow. I'm not at home to take a picture of the issue at the moment. I will add a pic alittle later to better describe the issue.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your HW277. we had a lot of fun in ours when we had it.
A picture of your issue would be very helpful.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #7

I continually ran into the problem of the top of the door not fitting correctly on a 228BH. My problem was the roof was not raised to where it should be and it was due to the hi-limit switch in the powerwinch. It was an ongoing problem with my lift and I was forever adjusting.
When adjusted correctly there was no problem but it would go out of adjustment.
I had the older style winch (which was replaced with a manual) so not sure if there is even any adjustable hi-limit/lo-limit switches on the newer model winch.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #8

I had to adjust the hi limit screw a few times to get it to be high enough for most of the time. Being level also helps. I have found that when all those things are working well, I still have issues with the last 1/4"-1/2" of the top of the door. I end up just lifting up the roof a bit with my arm, and I slip it right in. Bit of a pita, but it has worked well so far. Good luck
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnold173 View Post
Thanks for the welcome and replies so far. So what I'm experiencing is definitely not an issue with flex. The stabilizers were lowered to the ground and then turned maybe a half turn. The door assembly sets into the frame with no binding or anything. The problem I have is that the retainer clips on the top of the door don't allow the door to rest up against the wall and clip in. It's like they were either installed too low, or in the wrong place somehow. I'm not at home to take a picture of the issue at the moment. I will add a pic alittle later to better describe the issue.
Is the RED cord over in the corner going tight as you raise the roof?
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

Stick the top of the door under the retaining clips with the bottom of the door not quite seated into the frame. Then open the door from the inside and tap the bottom into place with your heel. That's what I do. It's a nice tight fit. Do make sure your roof is high enough. Takes a few reps of setup to get into a rhythm.
BankerCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door