Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #11

picture of ground wire that is rusted

here is a picture of the white ground. It may be rusted out and causing the issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	34619  

Old 07-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

The large red wire should be the winch. I am guessing it's return path would be through frame ground. The red winch wire should be connected to the positive terminal. If you have a cruddy connection at the frame for the white wire, then that would keep the winch from working. Also, it has that little thermal breaker where it connects to the battery. Those breakers have been known to fail over time.

Bob

2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Battery connection issue 2.0

I am new to the forum, but have found this place to be EXTREMELY helpful! I have too been experiencing some electrical issues, and am trying to narrow down the culprit. I am attaching a picture of my battery and the way that the wires are currently connected. I have tried to follow this post the best I can, but feel that I am a little confused. Per this picture I tried to move the black wire with red end and letter B to the positive side last night. The winch did not work. In this configuration everything appears to work fine, but I have read that by not connecting your battery properly, you can cause damage to the electrical systems, converter, and possibly wear out the battery life.

Also, had an issue with my interior lighting. I have narrowed down my search to a faulty kill switch as well as a short in the wiring that runs up inside the canvas. I think I have this issue fixed, but I am curious if anyone else has the issue of when all 3 interior lights of my Rockwood HW256 are on at the same time the blower on the converter runs constantly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to this exhausted rookie!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-23 12.08.16.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	36979  
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #14

Hi,

I discovered both black wires needed to be on positive. The large black wire is for the winch, the smaller black wire with the 20 amp fuse in the red encasement is the positive for the entire camper. Will try and post a pic if I can get out to my rig. Also, I discovered the bulbs in the 3 interior lights were inefficient and caused a 4 amp draw on the battery. I am going to replace them with l.e.d. bulbs. I was able to dry camp in Yellowstone without any major issues once I wired up the battery correctly.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencsam View Post
I am new to the forum, but have found this place to be EXTREMELY helpful! I have too been experiencing some electrical issues, and am trying to narrow down the culprit. I am attaching a picture of my battery and the way that the wires are currently connected. I have tried to follow this post the best I can, but feel that I am a little confused. Per this picture I tried to move the black wire with red end and letter B to the positive side last night. The winch did not work. In this configuration everything appears to work fine, but I have read that by not connecting your battery properly, you can cause damage to the electrical systems, converter, and possibly wear out the battery life.

Also, had an issue with my interior lighting. I have narrowed down my search to a faulty kill switch as well as a short in the wiring that runs up inside the canvas. I think I have this issue fixed, but I am curious if anyone else has the issue of when all 3 interior lights of my Rockwood HW256 are on at the same time the blower on the converter runs constantly.

Have you read mdfas' latest entry? I see you have a black wire going to your negative post on the battery, unless someone change the wiring setup on your TT and used a black wire for negative it is not wired correctly. You need to trace that black wire and see where it goes, generally there is only one ground wire needed the white one because it goes to the frame and everything else inside the TT is grounded to the frame usually out of your sight with a multi-connector behind the power box.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #16

When the black wire marked with a B, the small black wire with the inline fuse, and the red wire with the transformer are all connected to the positive post the winch does not work. The black wire with the B runs out of the same location as the red with a transformer, the back of the up/down button that controls the pop-up. This configuration seems to work, I am just worried that it may cause damage somewhere down the line.

As far as the lights go, they seem to be unusually hot! In fact one of the light covers has been warped, which tells me that they draw a pretty hefty current.

Most things inside this camper I can figure out, but the electric has me scratching my noggin a bit.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #17

By the way welcome to the forum! Lights will work even when wired backwards but enough heat to melt a lense really has me concerned you could get a fire going. I am very good with electrical when I am able to look at the actual wires and do the testing/tracing but unfortunately I am not where you are to check it. I highly suggest you get the TT to someone who knows what to do. I am thinking you should take all wires off the negative post for now (to avoid a fire) and get someone to look at it for you.

You may want to go to the top of this thread page and do a search on your TT model eletrical issues, be sure the FRF dot is highlighted.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencsam

Your unit uses a red lead from fuse/breaker to load on pos side of battery. Therefore the black return is normal. (automobile normal). If every thing is working I wouldn' start changing things. The constant running cooling fan running only means its charging the battery as current is drawn out for those watt hogging bulbs.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #19

Can you take a picture of the spot you said the red and the black wire with the 'B' are attached and post it?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batts-toy
Can you take a picture of the spot you said the red and the black wire with the 'B' are attached and post it?
Upper right of Ops battery pic shows red coming off pos after brk/fuse.