Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Dumb question about my tent trailer heater...

I bought a 1998 Rockwood Freedom 1620 tent trailer last fall and am just now getting it ready to go camping. Everything is working great (even the fridge!). It looks almost new.

So, I slept in it last night for the first time in my driveway to see how it went prior to my first trip out in early July. I have the trailer plugged into shore power and am using the converter. Early this morning it got cold enough (though i was very cozy with my comforter on the bed) and the heater tried to start up. By that I mean the fan came on a couple of times a ran for awhile-however, with no heat. So, does the propane need to be turned on and will the heater light up on it's own or do I need to light a pilot light for the heater since I assume the heater doesn't run on AC alone? I don't really plan on using the unit's heater in favor of a small ceramic one I have and since I don't plan to camp when it's really cold, I hope that will be enough.

Thanks for any insight you all may have!

Gary
kuhnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

The heater is battery and propane only.

You need the battery (or converter) and propane for heat.
No AC required at all.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

Sorry, by AC I meant alternating current, not air conditioning. So, since I plan to run off of the converter using shore power, do I just open the propane tank spigot and the heater will start automatically when it gets to the temp. set on the thermostat?

Gary
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhnsmith
Sorry, by AC I meant alternating current, not air conditioning. So, since I plan to run off of the converter using shore power, do I just open the propane tank spigot and the heater will start automatically when it gets to the temp. set on the thermostat?

Gary
Yep, that's right. It is however a good idea to 1) open the propane tank (very slowly) 2) light the stove if you have one to purge the propane lines if air.

Let it 'burn off' a good 10 minutes sometime before cold weather camping to burn off any dust from the heat exchanger and avoid an unpleasant accidental smoke alarm activation.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #5

Something I experienced when owning a PUP and the heater during cold temps. It will use up your propane, buy a ceramic heater to use also. I got one with a remote control. I still use it in our TT if needed.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

If dry camping it will use up your battery pretty fast.
Much faster than your propane.

The furnace blower and control circuitry uses about 7 amps of DC when running.

If the furnace runs 30 minutes in every hour it will consume 3.5 amp hours from your battery's capacity every hour (OEM battery has about 70 AH typically and some small campers may have even less)

A Fresh completely full 70 AH battery will last 20 hours with only that as the draw. You will be going to bed after using lights, fridge, parasite draws like radio and propane detector, etc all day and without recharging it before bedtime, you may wake up pretty cold.

Obviously if it is colder it will run more and warmer; less.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

I've always camped in camp grounds that have water and electricity and plan to do the same this summer. I'm not even going to carry a battery which will save a little weight. I'm going to bring a small ceramic heater I have in case it gets chilly, but I also want to know how the heater works in case I want to use it.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhnsmith View Post
I've always camped in camp grounds that have water and electricity and plan to do the same this summer. I'm not even going to carry a battery which will save a little weight. I'm going to bring a small ceramic heater I have in case it gets chilly, but I also want to know how the heater works in case I want to use it.
Does your camper have brakes? If so you will need that battery for the breakaway switch to function.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

No brakes.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Just checking. Sometimes folks forget.