Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Ease of Tow

I am not new to RV life and have owned and towed a number of RV types. I recently sold my 1T Dodge dually diesel and 36 ft. Fiver and am down-sizing to a PUP.

I have followed this forum for some time and have found the advice sound. My questions are generally directed to those owners of FR HW296 or HW29SC who tow with a similarly powered vehicle as I will tow with. Anyone else who wants to chime in is more than welcome.

My current tow vehicle is a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X2, powered by a 3.6L gas engine, with tow package. It has 6200 lb. max tow capacity with a max trailer tongue weight of 620 lbs.

I believe that my Jeep is capable of towing the trailer but i need to know the "unknowns." For instance, issues related to significant reduction of gas mileage, hill towing capacity and general towing "ease." I hope you get the point. I simply have some serious anxiety about the ease pulling a 5000 lb. GVWR trailer with my Jeep.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
retcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Pop Up Newb

Understood, I don't have a GC but I pull my 3500lb PUP with my 2012 Wrangler Unlimited (same engine as your GC), and it pulls just fine. You just have to know your limitations. My gas mileage drops about 2mpg when towing. Hills, well just know you're not winning a race to the top but I can pass semis and slower vehicles if needed. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blaklabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #3

I got my hw296 last year and I made 3 camping trips towing it with a 2007 Honda Odyssey before buying a new tv this year which is a 2013 F150 4x4. The Honda towed it fairly well and the main reason I towed it with it is because the previous owner towed it with an Odyssey for 7 years. After going thru the numbers I decided it was unsafe and that is why I now tow with the F150. I average 17.6 mpg with the f150, towing I get 15.6. and it tows great. The HW is about 3500lbs dry correct? How much weight do you plan on adding to it? Obviously the more you minimize your load the easier it will tow with your Jeep, other than that I think you will be fine the only challenge will be hills like you said.
camperbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #4

We have a 2016 hw296 and tow with a 2007 Jeep GC. You won't win any race off the line or up a hill but it will pull it. Highways are a breeze once you get going lol. You will lose gas mileage but that's true with almost anything you pull. Our 296 is actually taller than the Jeep so anyone behind you will have no idea what is pulling that HUGE pup (something we hear all the time).

We love our 296 and very glad we made the purchase. Get many visitors at every cg we go to.

tigger68 is offline   Reply With Quote