Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 AM   #1

Electric heaters experience?

We have an HW276 and went out about a month ago to break open the season in Tennessee. It was nice but pretty cold at times. Nights went down into the upper 20's some nights and highs only mid 50's or so. Being there 5 nights I burned nearly all my propane (2 - 20 lb tanks). So, starting to look in to electric heating options to supplement.

I have seen some things about adding heat to AC units, but seems like that may only be certain models. Not sure how that works. Also looking at space heaters but wondering if that's too much for the wiring. If we go out for the day, or have it on all night because it's really cold out, I imagine that could really pull a lot on the electrical and concerned about hot wires.

Anyone have experience and suggestions?
Capt America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #2

We've carried a Honeywell...I think...table top electric heater. We've had it for years with no issues. Heats the trailer just find, small and portable so we can move it around the trailer if needed. No hot wires and no breakers tripping.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt America View Post
We have an HW276 and went out about a month ago to break open the season in Tennessee. It was nice but pretty cold at times. Nights went down into the upper 20's some nights and highs only mid 50's or so. Being there 5 nights I burned nearly all my propane (2 - 20 lb tanks). So, starting to look in to electric heating options to supplement.

I have seen some things about adding heat to AC units, but seems like that may only be certain models. Not sure how that works. Also looking at space heaters but wondering if that's too much for the wiring. If we go out for the day, or have it on all night because it's really cold out, I imagine that could really pull a lot on the electrical and concerned about hot wires.

Adding heat to your A/C is like putting a toaster in front of a fan. The furnace works very well for us in camp as we have to pay for electricity on our seasonal site. We keep and electric heater available as a back up but use the furnace most of the time. If we need the electric heat it is plugged into the pedestal directly.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #4

In both our first pop up and then our 26TBSS, we used a tower heater like the type here:
https://www.lasko.com/products/remot...isplay-755320/

A single heater puts out plenty of heat to keep the trailer warm. It says 1500W, but that's at its highest output level, which we never used. I usually ran it on low and around 68-70 degrees and it kept the trailer comfortable. You may need to hit the furnace to get the chill out first, then let the heater maintain it.

Of course, I put it away from anything combustible. But like anything that produces heat, there's a risk from running it unattended.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #5

We have a built in electric fireplace and small table top heater. Ace hardware for $20.

In temps down to 40 these do a good job. We run the centrals system when needed. They day we set up in a rainstorm in January at 45 degrees. I was cold and wet. Sure felt good. Then the electrics took over.

Also keep in mind the central furnace keeps your water lines warm!

I thought the electric fireplace was ridiculous. No more. Typically it is all that runs. We like the sleeping area chilly. Really nice in Colorado last summer. Morning with coffee around the fireplace, priceless.

#10 of propane disappears quickly!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #6

I've used a small electric heater for years as a supplement to the furnace. BUT, I only will run it on the low 900w setting. You don't want the cord getting warm from being on the high wattage setting while you are snoozin'. I take an air hose to it every year to blow out the dust and lint. Just my SOP
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #7

space heater

we used this heater in our 27vrl and our new tt 29rsws. in both tt it kept us toasty warm even at temps just above freezing, our furnace hardly ran. we plugged a heavy extension cord on the hookup pole and ran a separate cord into the 27vrl to run the heater, it was a 30 amp tt. our 29rsws is 50 amp and it ran the heater fine without using an extension cord. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-El...H-91F/38230385
iluvcocacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #8

One of neatest things we ever did, was add an Electric receptacle inside next to kitchen slide, on the short wall there. Behind it, go outside and drill a hole above where that is, and install into the hole one of those Morinco marine type "plugs" that is just a male end:
https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-150BB...SIN=B000NI38MG

Then, simply run a separate extension cord from the 110v outlet on the Power Pedestal to that plug, and then you can go inside and plug into the inside 110 outlet, and use anything you want without using any of the unit's amperage. We winter in the South, but it's still winter and 45 is still cold enough for heat, and we need it.

As to which ones, just get a floor/space electric heater at walmart.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcocacola View Post
we used this heater in our 27vrl and our new tt 29rsws. in both tt it kept us toasty warm even at temps just above freezing, our furnace hardly ran. we plugged a heavy extension cord on the hookup pole and ran a separate cord into the 27vrl to run the heater, it was a 30 amp tt. our 29rsws is 50 amp and it ran the heater fine without using an extension cord. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-El...H-91F/38230385
How did the 27VRL do for you for the few seasons you used it? Any issues?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
In our previous Roo we used two of the small 200W Lasco below, hanging from the entrance of the bunk beds to force hot air inside the bunks, keep the air circulating there and avoid condensation.
After moving to a big rig, we added a small 900W electric heater to those two...
https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyH...SIN=B003XDTWN2

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #11
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

We use a space heater no probs

Quote:

We carry a small space heater, have used it with every camper and have never had an issue with it. Just be sure it has the safety tip-over/turn-off feature in case it gets kicked over during the night. Sometimes I think to turn it off while I am running the microwave/convection oven but just for extra caution, not because I've ever popped a breaker. They are totally safe and a great alternative to using the propane. And if you don't have a heated mattress, I would get one, or just get the heated mattress covers that can go over it. Those are awesome for sleeping on cold nights and really reduce the need to super-heat the RV.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #12

Hi there, I'm not sure if your roof top air conditioner has the heat mode on the dial but if it does you can add a heating element which takes 30 minutes to install from the inside of the trailer. I purchased the Dometic 3314998.000 Heater Element. It will keep you comfortable till around 40 degrees and evenly distributes the heat. I have not had to use my ceramic heater yet. Just follow the easy instructions. Good luck
MohicanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #13

have two basic small inexpensive units and never had an issue with hot wires or tripping breakers. my goal was to spend as little as possible so my cost recovery rate was faster. spend 100$ on an expensive heater and you could buy a lot of propane. I camp nightly and don't pay for electric.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #14

We've used a small space heater in both our rigs along with sleeping bags to keep the cold at bay.

Get one with a thermostat control and I recommend one that's cool to the touch and has a fan only setting that can be used to keep the air moving inside the rig. We run ours on low power on a plug inside the rig and on a nonflamable surface ( on the stove cover )
Old 04-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
Site Team

Ceramic heater or oil-filled radiator heater
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Ceramic heater or oil-filled radiator heater
X2.

Both have their advantages.

A ceramic heater starts blowing heat instantly and is safer than a wire ribbon/coil resistance type heater. It is forced air so it does have some small advantages to helping with moisture inside the R/V.

An oil filled heater takes a bit longer to heat up but continues to give off warmth even between cycles. Pets usually like to be near them.

Just remember, any 120v space heater can only be as powerful as 1500w.
Do not be fooled that a $100+ heater will give off more heat than a $20 heater if both are the same wattage.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #17

Been using a ceramic heater on low setting at nights for years and have not had any issues. Heated mattress's are the best, keeps you toasty.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #18

Ceramic heaters come in all sizes, short, tall, wide, narrow, but overall, they are quite cheap in price. Check Walmart or one of the home stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards. My last one was $40 on sale at Menards. With Spring here, you should be able to pick one up at a good price.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #19
Site Team

Electric heat add-ons for AC units are usually referred to as chill chasers as they really don't provide much heat. A small ceramic heater with 2 power levels 700W/1500W would be a better choice. Remember the AC power in your PUP is limited to 30A so you will have to be careful and turn off heat when running other high demand appliances WH, Coffee pots or microwave. Depending on where you are staying if the park only provides 30A service that may actually be the limit for the pedestal even though there may be a second 15/20A GFCI outlet in the pedestal. I assisted this past weekend at a site where camper tried using both outlets at their max only to destroy the line side of the pedestal due to overheating. Adding Reflective material like pupup gizmos will also help retain heat.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #20

My heat strip was well worth the extra $58 it cost me. Just used the heat strip this week to see if it was working while camping. One night got low enough to test it.

I started out at 67 Degree F. and cranked the heat control to max, and you could definitely feel the hot heat coming out. It wasn't luke warm but HOT. It warmed the camper up to 79 degrees while I was out at the fire. I couldn't believe how good this lo pro AC heat strip, heats up the camper. Definitely don't need to bring a stand alone heater to compliment the furnace!

Well worth the money and actually cheaper than a good stand alone heater.
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater