Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Electrical Problems

I purchased a 1999 Palomino popup camper several months ago and just took it out on its maiden voyage Memorial Day weekend. I had set it up the week before and was unable to get the furnace working, but I figured there was just something I hadn't turned on, and when we actually went camping I would figure it out.
Alas, I couldn't get lights to come on or anything. I had power when my brother in law plugged me into his generator, but nothing from the battery. Recharging the battery didn't help. We disconnected the battery to charge it and noticed it was hooked up backwards
I checked the battery with a multi-meter when I got home and it registered 12 volts, so it has a charge. I need to troubleshoot the electrical system to locate the problem, and I would like some advice about the best way to go about it. The fuses are not blown, and the circuit breaker wasn't tripped, so the problem lies somewhere else.
lanijojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

its possible it friend the converter .
hooking up the battery backwards is a common mistake .

what is the brand and model of your converter ?
most likely a wfco 8955 .
if so here is the diagnosis section .http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...atorManual.pdf
page 4 and 5
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

First question, what makes you think the battery was hooked up backwards? Second question, a battery reading 12 volts is mostly dead, if you are reading 12 volts, is that with nothing on, no lights or anything? Turn on a couple of lights, and recheck voltage.

Before all this, unplug the trailer from AC voltage. Disconnect one lead of the battery, and don't let it touch any meta, but leave it exposed. Plug trailer in to AC power, check for lights, etc. If none, check voltage at battery cables, (one connected, and one not), looking fore over 13.5 volts. Pay attention to polarity, and make sure you have the right cables on the right post of the battery. Do not go by looks or colors of the wires. (since it's a 99 model, you don't know who has done what).

If no voltage at the battery terminals, then start tracing the wires. One should go to frame ground, pretty quick. The other is the PLUS wire. Most trailers have a breaker on/under the tongue, or maybe under the front edge. It will have a very small reset button one end. May have to reset it. The converter panel, will have fuses and breakers. There should be one, or two large fuses, 30 amp or so, they control the DC of the converter. There may also be a breaker for the converter that has tripped, turn them all off and back on, just to be sure.

Enough for now, waiting on you to report back.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanijojo View Post
I purchased a 1999 Palomino popup camper several months ago and just took it out on its maiden voyage Memorial Day weekend. I had set it up the week before and was unable to get the furnace working, but I figured there was just something I hadn't turned on, and when we actually went camping I would figure it out.
Alas, I couldn't get lights to come on or anything. I had power when my brother in law plugged me into his generator, but nothing from the battery. Recharging the battery didn't help. We disconnected the battery to charge it and noticed it was hooked up backwards
I checked the battery with a multi-meter when I got home and it registered 12 volts, so it has a charge. I need to troubleshoot the electrical system to locate the problem, and I would like some advice about the best way to go about it. The fuses are not blown, and the circuit breaker wasn't tripped, so the problem lies somewhere else.
Fully charged battery is 12.6V DC up to 12.8V DC.
goody59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #5

We real need to know the model number of the converter. In my 1996 palominio popup it had a very basic converter. There was a switch on the front to change from runing on AC or DC and it did not have a battery charger built in.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #6

Is there a safety switch [button] on the top of the platform that the fold up sink-stove top sits on in the up position. My camper has 2- one for 12 volts and one for the gas stove top? I have had to re-seat the fold up unit a time or two myself. If these switches aren't made I have problems too. I've been kicking around the idea of using a seperate switch just inside the door for the 12 volts, and by passing the 12 volt switch on the platform.