Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Expected life of a pop up Gizmo.

About how many years of use can one expect to get from these?

How long until the material begins to crack/flake and breakaway from the bottom layers?

How long have they been lasting?

At close to $200 to buy them one wants them to last a bit.

Thanks everyone.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

Did a quick Google search, and the only thing I came up with is one guy, who admits to being OCD, who washes his constantly, and they are starting to show wear. I think Bikendan has had his for a while. Hope he chimes in.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Yeah. That's why I figured I would throw it out to the forum members. Figured the gizmos have been around for a while and was curious as to how they hold up.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #4

*Chuckles* we just sold our pop up gizmos from our popup that we sold over a decade ago. We had used them extensively for 4 years when we had the popup, they they got lost in storage until this spring whent he DW found them. When we sold them at Goshen, they were in "Very Good" condition
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #5

I am not going to knock anyone who makes their own bunkend covers, but I would buy the originals again in heartbeat.

We have owned two sets of Gizmos. We sold the first set when we sold the PUP they fit. We've had the second pair for going on five years and are currently cooling their second PUP.

This set is the high wind version with cords to strap the Gizmos to the bunkends. The "F" and "B" written in black Sharpie have about worn off, and one of the cords lost its clip. Other than that, they look almost the same as when they showed up.

Gizmos now makes bunk liners for the interior. I'm thinking about buying a set for no other reason than for use in those campsites which have the annoying light right outside.

John

2008 Honda Ridgeline
2014 Flagstaff Classic 425D
2014 nights camping: 26
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #6

We just got our pup this year, so I have been making my Christmas list. The gizmos are the 1st thing on that list, along with a few more big ticket items. I researched the gizmos for about the last 6 months, everyone that owns them loves them no major complaints, they seem to last a long time, those that have had them for awhile seem to get knew one's and even upgrade to the high wind model.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

I was considering the High wind ones also. I just think it is a much better product all around.

I saw a mod for using Velcro to attach them to the roof to aid in set up. It also stops the rain from getting under it. I may e-mail them and see if they would be willing to sew a Velcro strip to one end for me. They claim to be custom made.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I was considering the High wind ones also. I just think it is a much better product all around.

I saw a mod for using Velcro to attach them to the roof to aid in set up. It also stops the rain from getting under it. I may e-mail them and see if they would be willing to sew a Velcro strip to one end for me. They claim to be custom made.

Vin.
The Velcro is a fantastic idea, especially if you install the gizmos on a windy day by yourself.

First time I used my gizmos it was windy and I was not able to install them, those little clips just popped off. Sent them back and had Velcro added, and have never failed to install them, even in WY during a mild windstorm.

Probably different with two people, but I not only swear by the gizmos, I also swear by the Velcro.

Just make sure to get some industrial Velcro to attach to the trailer, and implant a staple at the very end and about every six inches. So far, no problems and the Velcro is still attached to the trailer as when I originally installed it.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

That is true. Staples at the end and every 6" would be a good idea. The underbelly of the roof is plywood and would take the staple fine. I like that idea.

My only problem is gonna be to get the Velcro sewn into the gizmo.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #10

Call the popup gizmo folks. They are great to work with and the addition of the Velcro is only about 10 bucks or something small like that. I cannot speak high enough about their customer service..

PopupGizmos

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up