Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #1

Question Exterior Door Set Up Rockwood 2318G door doesnt fit

Hi All, The door does not fit correctly, I cant get the 2 top interior frame latches in the two holes on the top of the interior door frame.The guide wire when I lift the roof is not taunt, not sure if the lift wench needs slight adjustment to lift the roof a 1/4 inch higher, but I did notice is was not taunt b 4 ac install. Is it because I had a 15kbtu ac installed and. weight is to much? Can I push up on the roof to get the door to fit from the inside during setup? I tried to a little but it was heavy and I didnt want to break the roof. The dealership was able to get the latches into the two corresponding interior frame holes b 4 the ac install, but it was very hard to unlatch during take down. How taunt is the lift guide wire/rope suppose to be? I tried to setup the door with both the bed slides not pulled out completely but it made no difference.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #2

We have the 2017 2318G. In ours, the latches secure the top of the screen door and DO NOT go through the holes at the top of the door. Not sure if yours is the same.
nemolomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

I have a 2016 2318G and found that the motor actuator shuts off the lift motor a bit before the roof is completely up. I have to add a few turns of the manual crank until there is slight tension on the lift indicator line. I was having all kinds of trouble getting the door to fit until I discovered this.
dschwerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

The guide wire is suppose to be tight. If you have an electric roof lift you need to adjust the limit switch which will fix the problem. Check your manual and look for limit switch adjustment.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Thumbs up

X2 - limit switch!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #6

I have a hw296 and have the same problem. The guide wire is tight. Almost too tight to the point where the screw holding it in has pulled out. I finally had to take off th metal part where it attaches to get door to fit in at all. Now there is a small gap at top and really isn’t secured at top. Would love a solution too
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #7

Exterior Door Set Up Rockwood 2318G door doesnt fit

A spacer will correct the problem, that’s what I did when I pulled my wire out because it was to short.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5418.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	179330I had something similar to these in my tool box, it gave me the distance I needed.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Thank you all for your suggestions. I raised the roof with the motorized lift. Then I went to manuel for the fraction of the remaining height and it did not work. The winch spun back to original postion. Looking at the upper limit directions and I need to test to see if the motor continues to run after the top is down (or after the top is fully raised. ) OR the motor stops b 4 top is down or top is not high enough when motor shuts down. Im worried I might mess it up. Why is it so hard to find camper RV service dept for PUPs?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

I just solved the problem! Took the 2 top brackets off....now top of door flush...works perfect!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Exterior Door Set Up Rockwood 2318G door doesnt fit

Glad you worked it out.

Something else to watch for is the gasket between the gear/clutch deteriorating and breaking apart causing the winch to spin backwards like you mentioned. Unfortunately, you have to purchase the entire clutch to get the gasket that broke apart. It’s a cheap fix regardless if that ever happens.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemolomen View Post
We have the 2017 2318G. In ours, the latches secure the top of the screen door and DO NOT go through the holes at the top of the door. Not sure if yours is the same.
That's the way it works on our 2318g. Never tried to put them in the slots.

Tags
2318g, door, exterior, rockwood