Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Question External hose for sink drain

Have a 1940ltd, small, but just the right size.

The sink drains right on to one of the side marker lights.

I have not been able to find a hose to connect to this, or a way to connect a hose to it, to draw it away from the trailer.

Any ideas?

texas-tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

Do you have a picture of the outlet?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #3

It'll be a 1-1/2" threaded cap with a seal and a hose nipple that fits into it. If you don't have the one that came with it, you could try something like this.

Sink Drain Fleetwood Coleman Starcraft Rockwood Jayco Popup Tent camper Trailer | eBay

That one looks home made....pvc is cheap and not that hard to do.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #4

You might have to order it. Camping World comes up short on stuff for pop-ups, like we are the red-headed step-children of camping. Good ol' Amazon has them....
Amazon.com: Valterra T01-0091VP 1-1/2" x 3/4" 90° Drain Connector: Automotive
They are made by Valterra. The T01-0091 is right angle, while the T01-0094 is straight. They both have 3/4" threads to allow you to hook up a garden hose for draining. Hope this helps.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Retread Popup Owner

I was able to make a drain hose from common materials found at Home Depot....PVC, sump pump hose, and hose clamps. Here are some pics of the finished product. I hope they help. I'll put together a parts list and post it.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Retread Popup Owner

Here is the parts list. I'll give each piece, starting from the camper and working to the container. All sizes are 1 1/2".
  • female thread to solvent connection PVC union
  • 90° elbow
  • solvent connection to female thread PVC union
  • male thread to sump connection (black or gray plastic...was in bag with sump pump hose)
  • Sump pump hose (came in 25' length...cut to desired size)
  • 90° sump pump connector (gray plastic)
  • Two hose clamps
  • The gray sump pump 90° elbow goes into the container opening.

Note: Securely thread the "female thread to solvent connection PVC union" (the very first piece) on to the camper (tightened down to where it will be when in use for drainage) and then glue the 90° elbow to it. This will ensure that when the two pieces are permanently attached together that they'll be pointing in the correct direction when attached for drainage...down.

I had considered using a straight section of hose, straight down to the container. I didn't for two reasons. First, I like that the container is tucked under the camper somewhat. Second, and more importantly, the distance from the drain on the camper to the container on the ground will change depending on whether or not I will need to raise that side of the camper for leveling.

The container I'm using is a 5 gallon Coleman fresh water container. I filed out the hole a little with a rounded file to make the sump 90° elbow easier to fit in and remove. It slides in snugly, but slides out easily when it's time to empty the container.

I know a lot of folks use the 7 gallon Aquatainers. I don't know how the size of the opening on those compares to the Coleman container. I used the Coleman only because we already had it.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
It'll be a 1-1/2" threaded cap with a seal and a hose nipple that fits into it. If you don't have the one that came with it, you could try something like this.

Sink Drain Fleetwood Coleman Starcraft Rockwood Jayco Popup Tent camper Trailer | eBay

That one looks home made....pvc is cheap and not that hard to do.
Agreed...homemade. For me, I'm not a fan of how they chose to reduce it from 1 1/2" to 3/4"...which resulted in the need to add an air gap. Mike Holmes taught me that water will only move as freely as the smallest connection will allow.

After using our setup all summer long, we found that by keeping the connectors and hose all at 1 1/2" it eliminated the need for an air gap. There's room for the water and air to pass each other in the pipe.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods

Tags
drain