Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #1

First excursion

So we got this NTU pop up a couple weeks ago and today after work we are heading to the campgrounds with it. Should be an interesting time for the inaugural trip. Calling for rain all weekend and we will have our two schnauzers and a baby wren I found in the yard mowing Wednesday evening. We have to take "Ben Wren" as we named him, with us to keep feeing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2958557879.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	34609  
HDBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #2

So we made it through the first night. This is a lot more work than what the brochures make it look like. We did have our morning coffee though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2251870023.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	34634  
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

It is a bit of a work but well worth it ! Enjoy your future trips !
Old 07-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
It is a bit of a work but well worth it ! Enjoy your future trips !
We did learn a good lesson for the future trips. Don't plan on cooking the first night if arriving after work. We ended up just going to McDonald's because after we got the basics set up we were hungry and grouchy. The person at the camp store said, oh yea that is a camping rule, never plan on cooking the first night, just bring it in or go out. We Figured we could stop at a store and pick up some fried chicken or something already made. So far I do really like the camper: Cody coleman. For an almost 20 tear old rig it is pretty good. It rained most of last night and the morning with no leaks.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #5

I hope you brought some old towels along so you can dry off the bunk ends before you drop the top if it's still wet when you're ready to leave. If you didn't, get a couple rolls of paper towels. Push in the bunk ends, then dry off the canvas as best you can while the top is still up. We had a popup for 20 years and were pretty fortunate that we only had to drop the top in actual rain once or twice, but we did have to dry off wet canvas about 50 percent of the time. If your drive home is long, you might want to open it up when you stop for lunch. Definitely open it up when you get home and don't put it down until it's fully dry.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Campin With Grammy & Papa

Yea, we try to be in camp no later than 4 p.m. but leaving late throws that out. At least you have your Keurig, we love ours, my son complains that I'm not "real" camping. I tell him go outside, so far he has not. Enjoy the PUP. Scott
P.S. Good luck with "Ben", sending good thoughts, have no idea how to raise a bird. Pretty unique camping partner.
Scott n Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Yea- we usually stop at subway at we don't usually get going til around 6pm. Kinda like we just do cereal on the last day as we are packing up so we don't have to clean anything messy or wait for things to cool down.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Incheon, S. Korea

Very cool! Baby wren as a pet? Do you think you'll be able to release him when he's older?
Congrats on the first trip. In a year or less you'll be laughing about how hard it was the first time!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #9

sounds neat ~ hats off to you guys for sharing your space with the "baby" ~ enjoy your Sunday. Remember, it's all a process ~ you'll get things down pat before you know it!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #10

Home now! Fortunately Cody fits in the garage and we are able to open it up all the way to let it dry. Over all on a scale of 1-10 I would rate this weekend at 7. It would have been a lot more fun if we would have been able to have a camp fire and roast tube steaks. But I think the dogs we actually pretty good considering they had to be cooped up inside most of the time. It also would have been nice if they had hot water at the showers. Ben wren is eating every 20 min 7-9 worms and is now sitting on a perch we made for him. Hopefully he will be able to be out on his own soon. Till next adventure. Thanks for all the support and postings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-562373158.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	34692   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3516853652.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	34693  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

Fantastic. Popping up a trailer is like washing your car-it causes rain! LOL
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #12

yep, we set up and then go out to eat. I used to plan something already cooked, just heat and eat - but even that was too much
Nice that you can pop it up in a garage - my garage does not fit anything bigger than a minivan.... when I was shopping for the tow vehicle, I was restricted on height otherwise DH's car would be using the garage - hee hee The Durango just fits and tows my PUP wonderfully.

We are in our 4th season with our PUP and still learning stuff - but it is alot of fun.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I hope you brought some old towels along so you can dry off the bunk ends before you drop the top if it's still wet when you're ready to leave. We had a popup for 20 years and were pretty fortunate that we only had to drop the top in actual rain once or twice, but we did have to dry off wet canvas about 50 percent of the time. Definitely open it up when you get home and don't put it down until it's fully dry.
We bought a couple cheap plastic tarps to cover the bed ends when we had to take it down wet. That worked nicely.

Excellent advice about setting it up when you get home to let it dry off!

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
kmr
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott n Jo View Post
Good luck with "Ben", sending good thoughts, have no idea how to raise a bird. Pretty unique camping partner.
Check out Grubco (grubco.com) and Petco (http://www.petco.com/shop/searchresu...lworms&x=0&y=0). You can buy mealworks from either one--we fed a trio of baby tree swallows one spring after their nest was destroyed. It is amazing how much those little gullets will hold!

FYI: it is a federal offense to do this unless you're a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #15
Incheon, S. Korea

It seems like everything is a federal offense now...

I can't wait to see pics of the little guy all grown up!