Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

FIrst time buyer choosing between 206ST or 228D

I've been looking at pop up campers and have narrowed my choice down to a Flagstaff based on reviews. I now have to decided if we want just the porta potty 206ST or the model with the shower (228D). As a kid I grew up camping in a pop up with neither using the facilities at the campgrounds but now been awhile since I've camped. I've heard that the porta potty is a neccessity...but the shower in the pop ups not really useful. Just looking for advice before we make the purchase.
scsd251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Always Learning

I'll admit- I haven't looked at your floor plans, but we did have a pop-up with a shower curtain enclosure and a wet bath. We never used the shower- I just didn't want to have to deal with the pain, angst and woe that I imagined getting the bathroom dry again after a shower and if we didn't, I imagined a muddy mess from my shoes.

Like I said- never did it, but that was my vision and why we didn't.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #3

Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River

Flagstaff Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River

Let me preface this by saying I have not been a popup camper, however, I am a woman and I have camped (with and without kids, dogs, friends, etc) and I am totally drawn to the 228D for two reasons. 1 - space - I prefer more space in a camper which this model provides and 2 - whether I use the shower or not, I like the privacy if provides. If you're a 3 yo boy at 3 am, step outside and take a whiz, no problem. If you're a 14 year old girl at that time of the month, totally different) My two cents Happy Hunting!
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Always Learning

I will say- in our pop-up, an "enclosed toilet" was a requirement as we often traveled with family (in-laws, teenage niece). There was no way they were using the potty with someone else in the camper unless it was closed off to the rest of the area.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. As a previous popup owner I'd go with the 228D too. The extra floor space is nice and the beds are bigger.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Campin With Grammy & Papa

I also wish to welcome you scsd251. Last year we purchased a new PUP with a bathroom and shower (Rockwood HW277). Didn't think we would use it or really need it (maybe on a rainy day). On the first night bringing it home from a long distance we ended up in a small roadside park. Too dark to find if they had a bathroom or shower. Had full hookups though. Myself and DW ended up using the bathroom and shower on board. Worth it's weight in gold, on the very first day. Hope this helps. Again, welcome and enjoy which ever PUP you go with, they are fun. Scott
Scott n Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
MI Camperz

I vote for the second one. Privacy...and the commode is father away from the dinette. If you find you don't use your shower much, you can always use it as an extra storage area. You'd be amazed how quickly storage space gets used up.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

While I have a Roo 23ss, my buddy and his family has a Starcraft Popup with the shower....we call it the shoilet. They like having the option of using the shower when they want if they want.

Sometimes, you end up with quite a distance between the shower house and the campsite - but not quite far enough to drive.

We still tent camp quite a bit with the cub scouts - so I get to hear it from my wife when she has to make the trip to the facilities. Good times.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Always Learning

Red, that's why we carry bikes!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #10

Heh, absolutely, but not at 3am if she can help it!

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Always Learning

True, true...
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Never was a big tent camper. Then DW suggested we rent a pop-up. Ok-ill play along. That weekend got into the twenties. The fact that I didn't have to get fully dressed and a flashlight to go and pee sold me. Granted, I went and bought a high wall with all of its options but having a toilet is nice. Two words for you - no lines! Cause when you gotta go...

P.s- in two years, my daughter has used the shower once and I tried it a few weeks ago just so I could act like I knew what I was doing.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote