Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

First time out this afternoon, few last questions

We're packing up to head out for the our first ever popup trip this afternoon for the weekend. Heading 30 miles from home to give it a go. I'm still trying to learn everything I have to do. I have a few last questions.

1. What is the on/off switch below the converter in my picture below? I'm assuming it's for the water holding tank.
  2. So the follow-up question, my holding tank appears to have mold in it. I haven't sanitized it yet, but if the campsite has a freshwater hookup, I don't even need to use the holding tank, correct?
  3. The other picture shows a loose wire on my dinette slide-out. There's one on both sides and neither are attached. Any idea what these are supposed to attach to? Nothing stands out as an obvious place for them to be attached.
  4. I had a brake controller installed (brand/model in my signature) so I have to learn how to use that. I haven't read the instructions yet. Any simple advice for how it works?
  5. Battery question: Last weekend I was setting everything up and had the pup plugged into the house all day (is this called "shore power?"). After unplugging to fold the pup up, I tested an interior light to see how the battery was doing. It didn't come on. I'm assuming my battery is dead? Also assuming I can buy something to install on it that'll show me the charge at a glance?
That's all for now! I may have more "popup" as I prepare throughout the day.

My propane wasn't working (posted in another thread, which I'll update) and had an RV service center check out my regulator. Regulator was bad, so I'm picking up a new one later this morning. I'll give my propane system a go when I get it.

Thank you!
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140223_14_35_36_Pro.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	51415   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140502_09_16_29_Pro.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	51416   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140502_09_18_43_Pro.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	51417  
- Airlift 1000 air bags
- Curt Class III receiver (13364)
- Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Brake Control
dakranii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Eh darn, just noticed the campsite has no water hookup. Looks like I need to sanitize asap. I'm going to put a bucket full of water diluted with one cup of bleach into it through it a funnel.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Okay, answered my first and second question. On/off switch was for water pump.

I filled bucket full of water, put a cup of bleach in and poured it into the holding tank. I repeated this process. Then I put a hose in and filled the tank full with fresh water. I turned the pump on, opened all the faucets until I could smell bleach coming from them, then shut them off. Now I'm letting it sit for awhile.

Should I let it sit for a few hours, then repeat? Or let the current solution sit for longer?
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

1. Yes. The switch looks like it should be the one for the water pump. Self priming pump so with water in the tank simply turn on pump. As water reaches faucet turn off tap. If there is antifreeze in lines they will need to be flushed before closing taps. Once lines are full and flushed this is the time to open lines to water heater and close bypass, if you have a water heater. Once pressurized the pump should shut down so you can leave pump switch on while set up.
gettawaydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

First off, I recommend you just bring some jugs of water this weekend and use those. Properly sanitizing is going to take ~24 hours, and I assume you're heading out this afternoon? Besides, if it is mould you'll want to clean it out as much as possible prior to sanitizing.

As far as the switch, it's probably for the water pump, but not knowing your trailer I can't say for certain. Flick and see what happens?

I doubt your battery was bad to start with, more likely you have a battery disconnect somewhere. In our TT it's next to the convertor. (Actually right about where your switch in question is). Most other people have them outside closer to the battery. Another possibility is the main line from the battery has an issue. Either fuse or current limiter (aka breaker) is popped. Trace from the battery back to see if anything is amiss.

If your dealer setup the brake controller right you shouldn't need to do much. Just use the brakes like normal (giving more stopping room of course) if you feel a slight tug then the trailers brakes are working. If no tug turn it up, if a lot of tug, turn it down. The only time I ever needed to manually hit the controller is in a bad sway situation (which I only encountered pulling my dad's old TT, never with this one.). The basic principle there is to get the TV moving faster than the TT by either applying the TT's brakes or speeding up the TV.

And lastly, welcome to camping! I hope you have fun this weekend.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

2. To get rid of mould. Clean out mould. Bleach @ 1/4C per 15gal. of water. Run it to all faucets. Let sit for 12hr. repeat if necessary. Like another said it might be better to carry jugs at this point.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #7

3. The loose wires should have R clips, or retainer pins on them to go into holes drilled into slide out lock pins. They hold the slide out in place.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #8

4. On a quiet level street get vehicle and pup to low speed 10-15mph. Engage brake controller. It should gently stop you. Once this is set use vehicle brakes at same speed. Should feel pup pull a bit but should not skid tires. Use inc. and dec. to set these points. Rarely use except tough situations.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies!

I'll let the current bleach sit in the tank until we arrive at the campground. That'll mean it's been in the lines and tank for 8 to 9 hours. We'll plan just to use the tank for shower/sink and plan on drinking from jugs.

I wondered if that's what the wires were supposed to be holding. Wonder what happened to the R-clips.

Okay, driving 30 minutes away on level, easy roads to the campground. I probably won't even need my brake controller to be engage, but I'll give it a test run around my neighborhood to feel if it's pulling enough or too much.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Discovered my propane problem. Picked up the new regulator and put it on...nothing, didn't work. Took the regulator and hose assembly off of my gas grill and tried it, and everything works.

So it's one of the two hoses (or both) that aren't working. Couldn't get the gas grill to light with my pup's regulator/hose assembly.

On my way to the hardware store for propane hoses.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #11

5. Another issue with lights might be the safety switch. With a popup there is a safety button or switch that must be made to run lights. Usually located somewhere on the galley with 2 wires to it. Sometimes it's bracket needs to be tweaked a bit to contact properly or a wire terminal might have popped off. It's a safety bc the lights get so hot they can melt stuff or cause fire if left on and trailer set down.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #12

Did dealer sell you proper regulator? There are different models and styles. As well turn on the propane slowly. Modern tanks have a safety built in so that if there is a rush of propane out ( like initial line fill ) it will shut down the bottle internally.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I doubt your battery was bad to start with, more likely you have a battery disconnect somewhere. In our TT it's next to the convertor. (Actually right about where your switch in question is). Most other people have them outside closer to the battery. Another possibility is the main line from the battery has an issue. Either fuse or current limiter (aka breaker) is popped. Trace from the battery back to see if anything is amiss.
Fuse on the battery line right outside the battery was busted. I'll try putting another in and see if that was the issue. Most likely is.
- Airlift 1000 air bags
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #14

I am just prepping my pop up and doing some mods. Can't wait to get out, so I'm envious of you. Have a fun weekend and best of luck with the new popup.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #15

As to the controller.....read the directions ( and I'm not trying to be a jerk ). One setting won't be appropriate for all conditions, and having your trailer brakes lock up when you don't want them to isn't a good thing. Learn how to use it and adjust it whenever road conditions change. That needs to be something you don't have to think very much about.

Water.....I never drink the tank water. I will brush teeth with it, but that's about it aside from cooking with it (if I'm boiling it in the process). I take bottled water with me for drinking. It probably wouldn't hurt, but those tanks sit for quite a while even with sanitizing.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
2014 XLR 27HFS

LOL, welcome to camping! If you're not buying stuff to fix issues, then you're buying stuff to modify your toy. :-)

Tags
first time