Old 05-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

First Time Owner of New 1940LTD

Just purchased new 2013 1940LTD. Completed the orientation with the dealer prior to bringing home. While reading the owners manual, I came across the topic of sealing the seams on the canvas. Manual said to spray down the exterior with water to expand the special threads to seal those seams. I called the dealer to confirm this and he said he had never heard of having to do that. This is a very large and established Rockwood dealer in Colorado.

Has anyone else that's purchased new tent trailers done this, or experienced seam leaks the first rain storm they were in? I suppose I could just hose it down, but would require the removal of curtains and cushions in the event it does leak.

Thanks in advance for any input. Looking forward to taking her out for the first time.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

Never did get around to reading the owners manual my self. Fortunately I have never had any leak issues with my rockwood. I would imagine that the dealer took care of this in prepping if it was necessary. Living in florida it rains all the time. Consequently it has rained every time we have camped and no leaks

Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

Didn't do it with ours and have never had a leak.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

I did it as suggested by the manual and the dealer.

Instead of soaking the whole canvas and cleaning up leaks until the threads expanded, I used a spray bottle of water for a controlled stream on the threads without the pressure of a hose to push it through the threads before they swelled up.

The threads did relax and fill the holes and I have been caught in the rain a bit and have not had any leaks at the seams.

Soak them, swell them, let them dry and don't worry about it anymore,

Happy camping
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

Never heard of doing this, I also have a new 2013 model. Been camping 3 times so far but it hasn't rain on us yet.

Rockwood HW296
2011 Ram 1500 5.7
FloridaParks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #6

We owned a 2012 1940LTD last year. I did as the manual said and soaked it down with the hose. I had the hose set to spray - not a hard stream. I don't remember much dripping inside at all.

On our first trip the first night the heavens opened and almost floated the camper away. Turned out we were parked at the convergence of two hills and the water just poured through the campsite.

Inside - dry as a bone!

Your choice....
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

wetting the canvas seams before camping, has been around for decades.
this is suggested for popups and hybrids.

my hybrid came with paperwork from the canvas maker, suggesting to do this.
it allows the thread to swell and fill up the thread holes.
don't worry about any leaks, if there are, they're minor.

if any of you didn't get paperwork with your owner's manual, for care and maintenance of the canvas, contact the manufacturer.
T.J. Snuggles does the canvas for FR hybrids. not sure if they do for the popups.

never believe a dealer that contradicts the manufacturer's instructions, even if they are large and established.

some do apply seam sealer after they've done the seam wetting and allowed the thread to dry completely.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your quick and informative responses. One more thing for the "To Do" list.

Everyone hava a GREAT DAY!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #9

Hi Mntbiker,

I am picking up my brand new 1940LTD Saturday from a dealer (about 2 hours from home). Once I get home, I plan to set it up, load it up and prep it for its first trip. I wasn't planning on wetting the seams as I never heard of this nor has the dealer mentioned it. Please let me know if you end up doing so and what method you use. It appears vets on the forum see the value in it. Best of luck from a fellow 1940er!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1940 View Post
Hi Mntbiker,

I am picking up my brand new 1940LTD Saturday from a dealer (about 2 hours from home). Once I get home, I plan to set it up, load it up and prep it for its first trip. I wasn't planning on wetting the seams as I never heard of this nor has the dealer mentioned it. Please let me know if you end up doing so and what method you use. It appears vets on the forum see the value in it. Best of luck from a fellow 1940er!
Set it up so you can figure out what's what...pull out garden hose and make it rain. Air dry and you're done!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote