Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

First trip in our pup

Last week was our first trip with the new Flagstaff 176LTD, and I wanted to share some observations and lessons learned. The pup towed remarkably well, with no problems or issues. However, before the trip I checked the tires and noticed that the lugs were loose and not torqued. I had read elsewhere on this site that others had a similar issue. OK, first lesson learned. Always check tires and pup before each trip. I also fully charged the battery, as the new battery from the dealer had maybe a 60 to 70 percent charge. The night before I turned the fridge on using shore power. As the trip was only a little more than an hour, the drinks were still cool. Fridge worked as advertised. I used the 5 to 6 setting recommended in the manual, and that did the trick. Arrived at the campsite and used the new Camco stabilizers. I remembered the advice I had read on this site to not jack up the pup with the stabilizer. As the ground was relatively flat, I had no problem leveling the pup using wood blocks under the wheels. I did use a 20v DeWalt drill (not impact driver) with the stabilizer jack bit to lower the rear stabilizer jacks. A lot easier than doing so by hand. However, when I used the electric winch to lift the roof, it stopped about six to eight inches short and had a bit of slack with the tension wire. I suspect that I will need to check the limiter switch on the unit. I raised the roof the rest of the way with the DeWalt drill. After the roof was up, the slideouts set, and the door was in place, I zipped up the canvas with no issues. We dropped the awning after the roof was up, so I was glad I remembered to bring a step stool. A second lesson learned was that there was no rope provided to stake the awning. As it was breezy, I used some nylon rope and tent pegs to keep the awning from flapping. As this was the first time we used the water, we had to flush the antifreeze from the line before using the sink. I also used the Camco water filter with a pressure regulator before the filter. No issues once the line was flushed. However, I noticed that the drain was not working. This was probably due to an air bubble in the grey drain hose. I corrected this issue with a brass 45 degree angle hose adapter. Now the water drained fairly quickly. The most important lesson was learned the first evening. We used the air conditioner during the day. Even though the temperature was around 90 degrees and we were not parked in the shade, the AC worked fairly well, and a small fan circulated the air inside. However, the evening temperature dropped into the mid to low 50’s. I woke up around 2 am due to the cold, and decided to use the heater for the first time. The heater worked, but the CO/Propane detector went off and I was afraid I was disturbing our fellow campers. I remembered reading about something similar on this site, and the next morning I ran the heater for about 20 to 30 minutes. Apparently, the film that was on the new heater had to burn off, and we had no issues with the heater setting off the detector the rest of the trip. Also, that first night we used the heated beds since the heater would keep setting off the detector. The beds worked great, but one of the thermostat control covers were cracked right out of the box, and I had to use electrical tape to hold the case together. Finding a replacement online was impossible. However, I called Thermosoft using a number from their website, and was able to order a replacement for the ETL-2 thermostat directly from the manufacturer. I was told that if I contacted the dealer, they could probably replace the part under warranty. However, the part cost me only $16 plus shipping from the manufacturer, and I figured it would cost me that in gas and tolls to drive to the dealer and back. At that price, I ordered two, just in case. Everything else worked as it was supposed to the rest of the trip, and we had a great 8 days in our pup. However, I do want to echo what others have said on this site, that I found a lot of loose or stripped screws that I had to tighten or replace. The people who assemble these pups for Forrest River do seem to have a heavy hand. That being said, the first trip was a learning experience, and we did enjoy our time in our little home away from home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_193025.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	180020  
Kwroton57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Highly recommend you get a set of Popup Gizmos.
#1 popup and hybrid mod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

Recommend you consider the Reflectix mod for the tent end window areas too.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Excellent write up! We just got the same PUP as you (2017 brand new leftover) and our first trip is this weekend! We live in the Philly area and we're headed to the NW corner of Rhode Island to visit some friends.

Thanks for the point about running the heater for a bit to burn off the coatings, I'll do that tonight since we have some nice weather and I can open all of the windows. Also, thanks for pointing out the lug nut issue. Did you torque them down to spec?

Which AC unit did you get? I just installed mine myself, and since I don't have access to a 30 amp hookup at home, I don't know how (or IF) it's going to work, so it'll be a crap-shoot this weekend.

Regarding your sink and drain...I don't know if my dealer drained my lines of antifreeze. I doubt it. Is there anything special you need to do, or does it just flush itself out? I did pick up a water regulator, but not a filter. That's probably a good idea. What kind did you get? And finally, what was the deal with your drain? I don't know if mine has a drain hose...is that something I need to pick up separately? Gosh I'm such a newb.
User Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Banned View Post
Excellent write up! We just got the same PUP as you (2017 brand new leftover) and our first trip is this weekend! We live in the Philly area and we're headed to the NW corner of Rhode Island to visit some friends.

Thanks for the point about running the heater for a bit to burn off the coatings, I'll do that tonight since we have some nice weather and I can open all of the windows. Also, thanks for pointing out the lug nut issue. Did you torque them down to spec?

Which AC unit did you get? I just installed mine myself, and since I don't have access to a 30 amp hookup at home, I don't know how (or IF) it's going to work, so it'll be a crap-shoot this weekend.

Regarding your sink and drain...I don't know if my dealer drained my lines of antifreeze. I doubt it. Is there anything special you need to do, or does it just flush itself out? I did pick up a water regulator, but not a filter. That's probably a good idea. What kind did you get? And finally, what was the deal with your drain? I don't know if mine has a drain hose...is that something I need to pick up separately? Gosh I'm such a newb.
I am on the road for work right now. I will respond to your questions when I get home around 4.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwroton57 View Post
I am on the road for work right now. I will respond to your questions when I get home around 4.
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

PS: Is your 176LTD a 2018 MY?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

PS: Is your 176LTD a 2018 MY?
It is a 2018. Did you by yours at Campers Inn in Hatboro? They had a 2017 leftover, but it did not have the electric lift. It was a big savings on what I paid for the 2018.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
It is a 2018. Did you by yours at Campers Inn in Hatboro? They had a 2017 leftover, but it did not have the electric lift. It was a big savings on what I paid for the 2018.
Haha...I did!! I ended up getting it for $4,900. We were going to buy a used PUP, but everything I liked was > $6k, and everything that was within our budget looked like it'd been through a hurricane and left to rust away. When this popped up (so punny!) on my radar, I jumped on it right away.

There's a few little things that I dislike about it, but I have a feeling this one was a showroom unit. for the price I paid, I'm not complaining.

Are you local? I didn't think to look at your profile before replying.

Edit: That's so funny...good old L-Town! I grew up in Blue Ridge and Langhorne. I live in Schwenksville/Collegeville now and I still work in Bensalem. (My commute is HORRIBLE). It's such a small world! Good to know we have fellow 176LTD owners so close...
Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Haha...I did!! I ended up getting it for $4,900. We were going to buy a used PUP, but everything I liked was > $6k, and everything that was within our budget looked like it'd been through a hurricane and left to rust away. When this popped up (so punny!) on my radar, I jumped on it right away.

There's a few little things that I dislike about it, but I have a feeling this one was a showroom unit. for the price I paid, I'm not complaining.

Are you local? I didn't think to look at your profile before replying.
Yes, I live in the Levittown area.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, I live in the Levittown area.
I still got a discount and paid less than 8k. I wanted to get the 2017 but my wife said we needed the electric lift. She's the boss.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
...but my wife said we needed the electric lift. She's the boss.
You're a smart man.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #12

When I ran the heater the next morning, I had to sue a fan in front of the detector so that it would not keep going off. After 20 to 30 minutes, no more alarm. As for the wheel nuts, yes, I did torque them to spec. I think that there was a sticker with the info by the one wheel well.

I had the dealer install the AC. It is a Dometic Model #B57915 or B57916. I would have to look at the unit to see the exact model number. I also do not have a 30 amp hookup at home. It did run for 5 minutes before it blew my breaker. It worked great at the campsite. I let it run all day, as I was not paying for the electric bill.

Regarding your sink and drain...I don't know if my dealer drained my lines of antifreeze. I doubt it. Is there anything special you need to do, or does it just flush itself out? I did pick up a water regulator, but not a filter. That's probably a good idea. What kind did you get? And finally, what was the deal with your drain? I don't know if mine has a drain hose...is that something I need to pick up separately?

I bought a fresh water hose on Amazon for the water coming into the camper. I bought the regulator from the dealer. For the drain, I bought a grey water hose from Amazon. Yes, you do need to buy this hose, or the water will just drain down the side of your pup from the outside outlet. There are two ways to run the hose. First, if you have a site with sewer hookup, you can buy an adapter from Amazon to mate the hose to the sewer line. However, as the water only coming from the sink and not a bathroom, you can just attach a small hose and run it into a large bucket. That is what I did last week, and I emptied the bucket about once a day. I bought the Camco water filter from Amazon, It was only a little over !0 to $12 dollars. Just make sure the regulator goes between the hose and the filter, and not between the filter and the pup. The regulator came with a short spring supported hose so that it does not crimp. As for the problem with the drain, it appeared that no matter how I place the hose, the sink would not drain unless I wiggled the hose. I solved that by buying the 45 degree brass elbow. I think that the rigid elbow between the pup and the hose helped to reduce air pockets. I had no problems with the drain after I added the elbow.

Gosh I'm such a newb.

I am kind of a newb as well. I owned a trailer many years ago, but this was my first pup. I learned from experience as well as the advice of others on this forum. Good luck on your trip!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

I forget to mention that I did find "something" in my water line the first time I used it. I simply hooked everything up and ran the water until everything cleared.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies!! Huge, huge help. I found the filter, grey water hose, and elbow on Walmart.com for about the same price as Amazon, and what do ya know, it’s in stock at my local Walmart since the 2 day delivery wouldn’t make it to me before we leave on Friday. Thank you again sir!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!! Huge, huge help. I found the filter, grey water hose, and elbow on Walmart.com for about the same price as Amazon, and what do ya know, it’s in stock at my local Walmart since the 2 day delivery wouldn’t make it to me before we leave on Friday. Thank you again sir!

No problem. Safe travels!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #16

Great review and already helping others! Wishing you many years of great camping memories. I foresee good things ahead. Wise enough to know who's in charge and relaxed enough to just buy the small item you needed. I read so many reports of owners fighting for a small dollar item or repair. Yes it's wrong that things were delivered in a less than perfect state but you cut your losses and dealt with them. Always less stressful to choose your battles. Happy camping!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip