Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Flagstaff 205 MAC battery dead...

Camper is a 2010 model, bought about 2 months ago and I have a dead battery when I tried to lift the top.
Plugged in a battery charger and about 2 minutes after I plugged it in I got a beep from something inside the trailer.
What all is hooked up to the tongue mounted 12V battery on these 205 MAC models?
Something is draining the battery......

Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

FYI, if the battery is dead it will take anywhere from 8 to 12 hours on the charger to charge it.

As the voltage increased, as it passed 6 volts on the way up, the propane detector "chirped" telling you the battery was low.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

Yes,propane det.smoke det.,radio,tv,antena power light. You must dis the battery or leave it pluged in to 110. Youroo!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

I got the top raised after about 15 minutes on the charger...
The Carbon detector green light was on as soon as I got in the camper.
I guess they didnt put a disconnect switch from the 12V battery?????

So the battery on these campers drain every time you park them....doesnt sound too smart, might have to put a disconnect switch in myself.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

mostly, only high end rigs come with disconnect switches.
most of us install our own.
though i'm beginning to see lower end rigs, like the Rockwood Roo, coming with factory disconnect switches.
that's because the RV manufacturers figure everyone plugs their rig in at home, to keep the battery recharged thru the converter.

seriously doubt they'll ever become standard on a popup.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post
I got the top raised after about 15 minutes on the charger...
The Carbon detector green light was on as soon as I got in the camper.
I guess they didnt put a disconnect switch from the 12V battery?????

So the battery on these campers drain every time you park them....doesnt sound too smart, might have to put a disconnect switch in myself.

When we picked up our 09' Rockwood Pup, the Service Mgr. had the Pup inside the Service Bay already to do a thorough inspection with us. Took roughly 1 hour. It was great, as we had just sold our previous pup, a 1994 Starcraft, and being it was pretty basic, all ears and eyes were upon him b/c we were new to many of the amenities this new "used" pup has. Best hour I ever spent. The one thing he "stressed to us" was the battery and the Carbon Monoxide Detector. It is always on pulling from the battery, so need to disconnect the battery if we weren't keeping it plugged in at home. He also made mention to plug the camper in at least once a month and let charge overnight before heading out to the campground. Also from what I read, maybe others Pup owners can chime in here, the Electric Lift and the Water Pump puts the most drain on the battery. I don't have a slide-out so that's N/A to my battery.

Long story short, we now we keep the battery inside and on a Battery Maintainer ....but that's another story!
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdewitt71 View Post
Camper is a 2010 model, bought about 2 months ago and I have a dead battery when I tried to lift the top.
Plugged in a battery charger and about 2 minutes after I plugged it in I got a beep from something inside the trailer.
What all is hooked up to the tongue mounted 12V battery on these 205 MAC models?
Something is draining the battery......
A wet cell deep cycle battery can sometimes be rejuvinated with the right battery charger to put the sulphated up plated back into solution of acid to revive operation of battery. Rejuvination is a good thing to do for battery on a regular basis and then just normal battery charge inbetween rejuvination processes. This applies to wet cell batteries not dry or gel deep cycle batteries.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
CampingQueen

Some 'been there done that' on popups and batteries. I'm sure it depends on the popup, so your mileage may vary... our flagstaff HW had a switch just up under the driver side front of the hard top. If you stuck your hand up there you could feel it. When the top was completely down and secured, it presses in that little switch, which cuts off power to anything inside the camper that drains battery (smoke/CO2, etc). I know from reading a lot of forums here and elsewhere that other models/manufacturers include a same battery cutoff switch into the design, but if you don't know to look for it you'd never see it as it's tucked up inside the roof.

The power crank is wired in FRONT of this switch, so it will work even when the top is completely down. We also found the fridge will run OK on propane even when the top is fully down.

We had a problem with the battery draining between trips and finally figured out that we weren't tucking in the tents good enough in that area, which was keeping the top from going down 'hard'/firmly enough to push in that little button switch.

Also one more tip is that there is an in-line fuse between the battery and the camper. If you follow the wires coming from the battery and heading under the camper, it's a little red rubber connector looking case located in the line. If you open that you'll see a 40amp (if I remember correctly) fuse in there. If that fuse blows, you'll have power to raise/lower the top but won't have any 12V in the camper - so you can't turn on the fridge, etc. Our fuse blew and it took forever and a couple calls to the dealer to figure out that was why we didn't have any power inside the camper unless we were on shore power.

Removing that fuse also acts as a battery cut off to the camper, so when we would be storing the popup for any length of time, I would just remove that in-line fuse and that way I knew I'd more than likely have a nicely charged battery when it was time to raise the roof to get everything packed for the next trip. Oh, and it's a good idea to pick up a few extra fuses at an auto-supply store just in case!
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

We used the fuse as a disconnect for a short time, I got tired of the sparking sound every time I plugged it back in, that sound drives me crazy.

I soon connected a battery disconnect switch as detailed in a previous thread.

It turns off everything except the electric emergency breakaway switch and the emergency brakes, and the roof lift for any emergency situations. These two systems both run off the house battery and I wanted them operational independent of a disconnect position.

There are two main draws that you can't otherwise disable without a disconnect. They are the carbon monoxide and propane detectors. ( usually the same unit by the converter ). They are there for our safety when camping, but safe to disable when storing the camper. They do draw power down surprisingly fast.

Tags
battery