Old 05-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #1

Angry Flagstaff 208 propane flow issue

Hi All
I hope someone can help me out here because I'm getting frustrated.
I have a 2011 Flagstaff 208 which I purchased in 2010. I've had problems with the propane flow. I've levelled the trailer properly, made sure the flow valve to the heater and bbq is open and yes, the tank is full. I still can't get any propane to the heater or BBq. Is the a stop valve somewhere I'm missing?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

we used to have to run the stove's burners for awhile, to purge air out of the propane lines, in our popups and we do the same for our hybrid.
of course, you have to light all the burners to do this. once this is done, your lines should be clear of air.

is this your first RV? does it have one or two propane tanks?
two tanks come with a switch over valve.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #3

It's a single tank...feeds into the regulator and then underneath to the rear where it splits to the bbq and heater.....

There's no propane flow at all to light....did get it lit for about 20 seconds then it went out....

The dealers an hour away so I'd hate to drive it up there if I can fix it myself
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

so no propane flow to the stove?
sounds like a bad regulator. sometimes they get stuck. i have to whack the one on my BBQ, to get it to work.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

The regulator has a small screw on the bottom. Does anyone know if this is to purge the line?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #6

Here is a stupid question and not trying to insult you - is the bottle turned to the "open" position?
Did you try another propane bottle - maybe there is an issue with the bottle and not the regulator

When I turn mine to open - I turn them all the way open the give 1/4 turn to close.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #7

Hi
The bottle was open, and I 1/4 cranked it back. I also tried a second bottle we have and nothing. I've been reading from forum entries and I'm going to try lighting the stove in the trailer to purge the lines and see what happens. If you don't hear from me tomorrow then assume it blew up and I'm sporting a new set of wings......
Old 05-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Hi
The bottle was open, and I 1/4 cranked it back. I also tried a second bottle we have and nothing. I've been reading from forum entries and I'm going to try lighting the stove in the trailer to purge the lines and see what happens. If you don't hear from me tomorrow then assume it blew up and I'm sporting a new set of wings......
Not funny cause that would mean you propane senor wasnt working correctly -
That is exactly how I purge my lines out before trying to light my fridge - I open one of the burner's on the stove top and then keep clicking away till it lites then I lite the other two and let it run for a second or two then I turn the fridge on and it usually lites forst shot
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

The new propane bottles have a flow restrictor built into the bottle to prevent a catestrophic gas loss in the event of a leak.

The technique to open the bottles now is to VERY slowly open the bottle from "off". Now I know it sounds dumb (but it works) is to:

close both bottle valves
Select the OPPOSITE tank that you plan to open.
SLOWLY (about 15 seconds) turn the knob to open the valve on the "reserve" side tank.
You should initially hear a slight hiss as the line fills.
By slowly opening the valve, you allow gas to pressurize the line without tripping the "massive leak" detector.
Select the open bottle
Light a burner on the stove.
If it runs for a few minutes you are good and can repeat with the other bottle.

If not, shut the burner off and repeat the above until it does work.

If all else fails, change the tank pigtail. They fail routinely.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The new propane bottles have a flow restrictor built into the bottle to prevent a catestrophic gas loss in the event of a leak.

The technique to open the bottles now is to VERY slowly open the bottle from "off". Now I know it sounds dumb (but it works) is to:

close both bottle valves
Select the OPPOSITE tank that you plan to open.
SLOWLY (about 15 seconds) turn the knob to open the valve on the "reserve" side tank.
You should initially hear a slight hiss as the line fills.
By slowly opening the valve, you allow gas to pressurize the line without tripping the "massive leak" detector.
Select the open bottle
Light a burner on the stove.
If it runs for a few minutes you are good and can repeat with the other bottle.

If not, shut the burner off and repeat the above until it does work.

If all else fails, change the tank pigtail. They fail routinely.
she has a single bottle so that blows your theory out the window on the double bottle scenario

When I turn mine on I hear the check valve in the regulator make that distinctive tink sound when I turn the first bottle on and then just turn the other bottle on - never had an issue with it yet - I have a double bottle setup though.

It could be either the pigtail or the regulator - Probably not the Propane tank since she tried a 2nd tank already.