Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Flagstaff 228D - can't get 12V items working

We just bought a used used 2001 Flagstaff 228D. I've ordered an owner's manual (which can probably answer my question), but while I'm waiting I thought I'd post this problem.

When the trailer is plugged in to 110v, none of our 12v items work in the trailer - namely the lights and the furnace (with propane on & working). Everything looks good at the power converter panel, and the 110 outlets work. I cannot find a battery, nor any place to mount or plug in a battery. But is my problem because I don't have a complete 12v circuit?

Where should the battery be? I haven't found any wires that attach to battery posts, so if I'm missing an entire connection kit, is there a plugin I should look for where the kit would plug into?

thanks for helping out a newbie!

saybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Welcome to FRF.

As far as I know, the battery should be mounted on the tongue, next to the propane tank. Also, the 12V circuits should work without a battery connection, when plugged into shore-power.

Have you checked the 12V fuses in the convertor?

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Also, check out this thread. It mentions a hidden fuse behind the power converter.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
my guess is there is no battery or it's dead and won't battery no 12V power to any of these circuits. I assume all the converter will do is charge the battery...not supply power to 12V circuits due to the amount of current required. the battery terminals are crimp on round lugs ... they wont be like a big ol' lead automotive terminal. Looking at another forum they say the battery is up front.
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
The converter provides 12v power. No battery needed. Dead battery, no battery, all 12v circuits are hot if the main breakers are closed. Check breakers and fuses.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Is the galley in the raised position? There is a safety switch under it that will prevent the lights from working if the switch isn't depressed by the galley.
Topflight & DW
5 Dogs
2008 Flagstaff 625D
TV '04 F-150 RC/LB 4x4
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
Thanks everybody for the tips. I'll set up the trailer this weekend and see what I can figure out. I've looked at the fuses & they didn't look burned, but I didn't check continuity, so I'll do that. The galley was in the raised position, but I'll mess with that switch (I wondered what it was for exactly) and see if it's not engaging completely. I figured the battery went on the tongue, there's space for it, but no wires and no obvious place for wires to go inside the trailer from there.

Its got to be something simple, the people we bought it from had the lights working when we went to see it.

saybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
Grape Escape
There may be a disconnect switch in the off position from battery.
Once you find the battery test voltage
2008 Cardinal 30RKLE 5th wheel sold
2006 Rockwood 2607, 2001 Traillite
55 nights 2009, 53 for 2010
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou
Lightbulb Check the reversed battery fuses

In the converter charger there are two "reverse current" fuses (orange) next to the DC circuit fuses (mostly blue 15 amps).
They do not "light" when blown.

Check outside on the tounge for a red wire. Follow it and look for a little metal box covered with a red rubber cap. Clean the connections with fine sand paper. A corroded current limiter could be the cause also.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try reading this for indicators as to the nature of your problem.
All About RV Converters

Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote

228d, electrical, flagstaff, tent camper, 12 Volt, battery