Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Flagstaff 228D Inverter connection

We have a 2013 Flagstaff 228D with the 35 Amp Converter w/ Built in Battery Charger. I am considering a 2000W Modified Sine Wave Inverter hardwired to the two deep cycle batteries. I would like to connect the trailer power cord to the inverter using the same dogbone adapter that I plug it into the house the night before a trip. Does anyone know enough about the 35 Amp converter used by Forest River and whether it will function properly when connected to the Modified Sine Wave Inverter? Or better yet, is anyone actually doing this? I only intend to use this power connection during quiet hours and overnight when the generator cannot be run. And then, only to power the heated mattresses, DirecTV box and TV, a phone charger or two, etc. Any help that anyone can give me on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Brian
bmoorepsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

I can not see how this set up will work. As soon as the inverter starts to draw power the converter will try to charge the batteries. This will cause a greater drain on the batteries. You should have special outlet that are only run from the inverter to the item being used.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Good question for lou....... aka "herk7769"

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

This question was previously answered.

It will work provided you turn off the breaker that powers the converter.

Then using an adapter, connect the camper's shore power cord to the inverter.

Monitoring your power usage with a capacity monitor (similar to the Trimetric TM-2025RV) is critical as there is the potential to suck your batteries to zero quickly.

When using this configuration NEVER:

Use electric to heat the water
Use the microwave
Use the Air conditioner
Use an electric coffee maker
Use an electric heater of any kind

Make sure the breaker that powers your converter does not power devices that you might wish to use; like the TV or DVD player.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
228d