Old 07-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Flagstaff HW27SC

We just purchased a 2011 Flagstaff and spent the last 2 nights at a local campground testing it out. It went pretty well with only a couple of things missed while setting up that we figured out quickly.

Just before shutting down we saw that the gray water backed up into the shower! We were only camping for 2 nights. We washed dishes and only one shower was taken, a very quick one as well.

Does anyone have a way to determine how full the tanks are since we don't have sensors in them? If not, I guess we will just have to learn to empty quite often.

Also, are there longer drain hoses to purchase since the one with the camper isn't very long.

We hope to go out again soon once we get the water pump fixed since that seems to be what is leaking in that area.

We had a pop up camper, Wheelcamper, back in the early 70's and boy have they come a long way since then!

Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #2

Hi there DudleyDoo.... we too just purchased a HW27SC. It's a 2014.. I'm no expert, but did you have your lines open? Or were you not at a full hook up site? I can't imagine why the gray water would've back up on you. I know that when we had the TT, both tanks emptied into one tube. Now I have two drains to deal with. Luckily, I was able to find a used garden hose, cut off the end, and then the threaded end goes into the tube that goes into the ground. They didn't put sensors in the 2014 either, because that was one of the things that I asked during our walk around. Yes, you can purchase longer drain hoses from camping world, or they make a kit that comes with 2 hoses and an adapter to put them together. Enjoy your HW.. we love ours and haven't even tried it out yet.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

Check the gray tank gal capacity -would be in the specs. The gray tank cap. is small in our Rockwood HW277 (only 12 gals) we have backed grey water into the shower on two night camping trips and we do not even use the shower. Does not seem right when we have a 20 gal fresh water tank and only a 12 gal grey tank but I guess since we also have a 12 gal black tank that they think at least 1/2 of your water consumption would be the toilet - but we do not use that either (don't want to mess with dumping that at all).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

The Flagstaff HW27SC is a twin to the Rockwood HW277, which is very similar to the HW296. Yes, your only gray tank "sensor" is the shower floor. Ours has backed-up a couple of times. Since it is just sink and shower water, it is not a big deal. With only 12 gallons of gray water capacity, you must use your water wisely, or camp at sites with a sewer connection, or use a tote to drain into, or run a sneaky hose out into the underbrush...oops....I didn't say that did I?

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #5

Yeah, we use a blue tote or get a sewer hookup. (Sneaky hose baaaaad)
I did see a popup at one campground just let the gray run down the side of their camper right onto the ground, no hose for them. Their grey outlet was right above their tire (was not a HW).
Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #6

Thank you all for your help. Now we know what questions to ask our dealer. I knew we only had 12 gallon capacity but just didn't realize how much water one uses for various things. Glad to know we had a gray water "sensor" all along. There was sewer hook-up but our hose didn't reach it while parked, so we had to fold up and move the camper in order to use it. We always learn from our mistakes, hopefully.

We will look into getting a double hook-up system installed. We rent motorhomes in Alaska and are familiar with them and like the fact the gray water cleans out the black water. The hose on this HW does not stretch very easily so it would have been hard to leave it in the sewer.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
Thank you all for your help. Now we know what questions to ask our dealer. I knew we only had 12 gallon capacity but just didn't realize how much water one uses for various things. Glad to know we had a gray water "sensor" all along. There was sewer hook-up but our hose didn't reach it while parked, so we had to fold up and move the camper in order to use it. We always learn from our mistakes, hopefully.

We will look into getting a double hook-up system installed. We rent motorhomes in Alaska and are familiar with them and like the fact the gray water cleans out the black water. The hose on this HW does not stretch very easily so it would have been hard to leave it in the sewer.
For just the gray water, I use a Valterra 1 1/2" to 3/4" adaptor, and just run a regular garden hose to the sewer hook-up with a Camco sewer adaptor. Garden hose is cheaper and much easier to deal with than a 3" sewer hose. I don't know why FR plumbed these campers with separate (and different size) black and gray outlets. Maybe because pop-ups, since the beginning of time, have always had a 1 1/2" outlet for the sink water, and they just couldn't bring themselves to change. And I agree, it is better to have them go to the same outlet, so after dumping the black water, you can flush the hose with the gray.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Ditto here with the garden hose and adaptor.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

Here's a link to a previous discussion on same subject. I have my parts listed for my solution.

Interested in Rockwood HW296 Feedback

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #10

Thank you for the plumbing information and specs. I will print it out and let my husband figure it out. He was an engineer so hopefully it should be a piece of cake!

Right now he is making a larger step to use when going up and down that back bed. He needs it as well as one of our dogs could use it.

Bonnie