Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Flagstaff Leveling

We have the 831RLBSS, been a good TT for us but have a question: how do others level the trailer. For example during the set up for the Equalizer Hitch, the basic procedure talks about leveling the trailer, measuring the front and rear of the TV and TT, the basic procedure etc.. Now IF I place a level on the frame at the front and level the TT front to rear then measure at a point in front to ground, and also at the rear of the TT it will be 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches different. Place the level on the frame, the inside floor, the counter??
How do you set yours up?
Best regards,
Doug, aka Wanderer, "all who wander are not lost"
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are talking about 2 different things here.

When setting up a hitch, you want the trailer level with the road, but if the road is not perfectly level, then you can't use a level on the trailer. Measure the frame to the road at the front and back of the trailer for that.

When setting up at a campsite, you want the trailer level regardless of the site condition. When leveling that, you can use a level on the floor of the camper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I think you are talking about 2 different things here.

When setting up a hitch, you want the trailer level with the road, but if the road is not perfectly level, then you can't use a level on the trailer. Measure the frame to the road at the front and back of the trailer for that.

When setting up at a campsite, you want the trailer level regardless of the site condition. When leveling that, you can use a level on the floor of the camper.
Ok Mtnguy, appreciate the response, and I understand the hitch related stuff and I feel I have that issue resolved as the TT is level when towing.

As you say at the campsite you want the TT level regardless of the site situation, however the question is: what procedure determines a level TT?
As to which you suggest using the floor of the TT, correct? The floor should be parallel to the frame, so why is the frame NOT a reasonable level point?
In respect to your reply I will try to level per the floor
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have 2 stick-on levels on the tongue of my trailer.....I don't have to open the door of the trailer to get it fairly level from side to side. After getting it level with those, I then check the floor of the trailer inside the door, again for level side to side.....I don't have to climb the steps. My concern with double checking my stick-on levels is that sometimes those puppies can move a bit. I then unhook, lower or raise the tongue jack to get it level front to back. I again check the level of the floor, and adjust the tongue jack, and then lower my stab jacks "tight" on the lowest side, and not so "tight" on the high side. The level bubble might touch 1 mark, but that is good enough for Gov'ment work.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #5

Get 2 stick-on levels, available at any RV supply or dealer, then use a good quality carpenter's level on a parallel line on the camper to stick the levels to, one on the front or back, and one on the side. Then, whenever you camp, have an assistant watch the levels to tell you when you are level, by jacks and wheel blocks. That should be good enough for camping! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
ARLO

Stick on levels are great. You get it close to being level, then move the levels so that your wife is none the wiser. Works every time.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, tent camper