Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Flagstaff/Rockwood HW Awning options

I am a new owner of a Flagstaff HW29SC (2010). Bought used in great condition. My question for the group is...are there ANY other options for the awning other than the domestic slimline awning. Once the camper is set up the height of the awning is ridiculously high and makes breaking the awning down in inclement weather very difficult. It makes sense that if there was some kind of retractable awning, either the crank style or Spring loaded style that this would be a much better situation. Even if the legs that are supposed to be going to the camper stake into the ground to help support the weight of the awning, it seems that this would be a better option. Any thoughts? I have seen truck bed campers that have awnings that look like they would work.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt
mattgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

I agree that it is difficult to put away while roof is up. DW and I have worked out how to do it with a three-step ladder and cooler. We also keep an eye on weather forecast.

I haven't seen anything for our models probably because of the bulk/weight that would go with it. Just with the normal awning now pulls our roof over a few inches to the point that we no longer attach the door with the topmost connectors. Anything heavier would surely pull it more and put strain on the roof mechanism.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

When you put up the awning, do you hook both sets of poles to the camper, or do you put 1 set on the ground?

Also, I had seen online posts with people reporting that the roof was sagging to the awning side, making the door fit difficult. What if you used another set of the vertical safety bars...so that you would have one on each roof support?

Thanks again for your feedback.

-m
mattgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #4

Depends on the weather conditions that are expected. No wind- one set attached to bottom half of trailer. Mild winds- both sets with the second set nailed down to ground. 15 mph or above- roll it up! Already had a wind gust slam it hard and break off the top of one of the poles! BTW- I have a cheap fix if that happens!

I don't think a second set of vertical stabilizers will help being that it still will be up on stilts. I just always leave the top connections off and I don't have any problems. Heavy winds will stress those top door connections too so we just don't connect them anymore.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
daydreaming about camping

When we had our 27SC the awning was always a PITA. We ended up using very rarely.

A few notes, I do not think it is structurally designed to be supported by anything other than placing the extension poles onto the ground. I usually staked them in, or if on concrete zip tied the loops to something heavy, gallon jugs filled with sand worked well.

We were unable to find any other solution as the only attachment point is the roof itself and you cannot install any other type of awning without affixing it to the sidewalls that here do not exist.

The only solution to having to either retract or deploy the awning with the roof raised is to use a step ladder, or more often, the picnic table.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning