Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Folding step add-on to single step?

I noticed my single step has two holes on each side drilled for what I presume to be a double step. Anyone know where I can find a single folding step to bolt on to my existing single step to make a double step? I've searched unsuccessfully on the web. I'm trying to make a double step for as cheap as possible.
sallystrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #2

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Your best and probably safest option would be just to buy a new double step. I have double 20" Flexco steps that are bent and want to replace. A new set is less than $100 and looks pretty easy to bolt on. I think there's only four bolts. Check your step manufacturer's site as well as etrailer.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #3

I agree there's no easy bolt-on solution. The double's run wider than stock single-step. I found this unit online but had to modify a bit to fit my MAC 206st:
Robot Check

Total cost was $150. Well worth it for us since our dirt-to-first step was 13" on level ground, & even higher on sloping terrain. If you want instructions I'm happy to share specifics.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #4

Do stairs measure to the inside width of the stair? I believe I measured the outside edge at 20 1/4.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #5
Always Learning

I've been looking for a step that hooks onto the one that is already there. I found one vendor, but they want like $150 for this add-on and that's too rich for my "gifting to a friend" blood.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

Seems there are not many RV junkyards around, thought I might be able to get a step and then frankenstein it onto my step.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Google RV Surplus Parts
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

I put a double step on mine, and like has been said there is adjustments that have to be made. The new step was a little wider, not a big problem just drill another hole. The biggest problem was the depth of the new one it wouldn't span to my next i beam. So i had to buy 2 pieces of flat steel to span the distance, and then bolt the new steps to the flat steel.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #9

How much steel are we talking? Did you weld the steel to the beams and then bolt the step to the steel?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've been looking for a step that hooks onto the one that is already there. I found one vendor, but they want like $150 for this add-on and that's too rich for my "gifting to a friend" blood.

I made an add on step for Ms. April (Bombdoc's DW). Supposedly it works fine and is also adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April's unpainted step.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	100707   Click image for larger version

Name:	April's painted step.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	638.4 KB
ID:	100708  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

Nice idea!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallystrothers View Post
How much steel are we talking? Did you weld the steel to the beams and then bolt the step to the steel?
No. i just bolted the flat steel 2" wide strips to the front beam that your current step is bolted to, and also to the next beam over that your current step is also bolted to. Once the steel straps spanned the 2 beams, i then bolted my new steps to the straps. So what you end up with is, you run your bolts up through your new steps front bracket then through the camper's beam then through the steel stripes. Then for the rear mounting of your new steps you bolt through where ever they line up your spanned steel stripes . Mine lined up about half way in. between the camper beams. Just make sure the flat steel you buy is thick enough. I think i used 1/4" steel 2" wide. for lenght just cut them to fit in between the beams.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #13

I ended up getting a double step from etrailer. One of their 24" steps was actually closer to fitting on the brackets than their 20" step so I went with the 24". Guess I will try to sell my single step for a couple of dollars. Any issues with the extra torque on the frame when standing on the bottom step?
Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 AM   #14

Which MAC do you have? And which step did you get, do you have a number? Thanks to getting old and the knees hating that step down onto the dirt, been thinking of going to a double step.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #15

The extra torque is well-absorbed by the frame and stabbers. We don't notice any more movement than with the single-step.

And of course the double's don't match up underneath like the single's do. They must plan this stuff ahead of time! To mount my new double, I made mounting brackets from the sides of the single. If you want to do that, look at the long channel used by the single step to glide in and out. Hacksaw the 'meat' off each end of the channel and presto, instant mounting brackets are in your hand for the double. A welder charged me $50 to weld the brackets to the double, even painted 'em for me.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Which MAC do you have? And which step did you get, do you have a number? Thanks to getting old and the knees hating that step down onto the dirt, been thinking of going to a double step.
I have a 228BH. The number is LC341500. The dimensions of this step match much closer to the brackets than their other steps when I measured. With free shipping it's not a bad deal.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #17

installation was fairly straightforward. The front right bolt needed to be re-drilled about an inch further and I bolted a piece of 1/8" angle iron across the two beams for the back bolts. Only potential issue I see is with tire clearance. I have 25" OD tires and there is about 2" clearance to the stair (it hangs down further than a single step) which means the biggest tire I can put on is probably 28". I wonder how much clearance is actually needed to the tire? It's not an issue with the leaf spring travel either, the 2" is the worst case even if the springs were fully compressed.