Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #1

Forest River 207

I've spent 35 years in tent camping and now I'm thinking of buying my first popup - a Forest River 207. Any advice would be appreciated. A good choice? I don't have a local dealer - the closest is 4 hours away. They were very informative and no-pressure, but any suggestions for comparison shopping?
vulko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Team

i'll move your post to the Popup section, where you should get more responses to what you're asking.

FR makes popups in two brands, Flagstaff and Rockwood. they are twin brands but have different model numbers.
not sure which one has the 207 but you might be able to find the twin of it, from a closer dealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulko View Post
I've spent 35 years in tent camping and now I'm thinking of buying my first popup - a Forest River 207. Any advice would be appreciated. A good choice? I don't have a local dealer - the closest is 4 hours away. They were very informative and no-pressure, but any suggestions for comparison shopping?

Good for you! As the song goes "well we're movin' on up", and what better way to take the next step, but to a Pop Up.

We have a 2009 FR Rockwood Freedom 1940 LTD and just love ours. After a 5 hour round trip on July 5th seeking out Pop Ups we found online, we bought ours from a Dealer. Great place, Kamper's Supply in Cartersville, Il. We are 2nd owners, all manuals, docs, and paperwork, in overall great condition. Couldn't be happier.

We had recently sold our 1994 Starcraft Starflyte of 8 years. Enjoyed it immensely. Even though it was a basic unit and it served us well, with never a problem, we wanted something newer with a few more perks. Need more perks as we get older.

Now we have an Electric Lift for the roof (best perk of all), furnace (which is a nice plus, no more toting heaters), 3 way refrig (no more bringing along the dorm refrig), on board water supply tank with pump (nice plus, although we still wash dishes outside), and "real" Queen Size Beds. I think this was the greatest improvement of all. And the fact that the Pup was an extra foot long and definitely wider, made for a much more open feel inside. We did lose a little bit of cubby hole space with the upgrades, so we had to re-evaluate things we truly used and needed. "Wants vs. Needs".

My suggestion would be make a list of your wants and needs, how often you are planning on using it, for what periods of time, and then look at different FR models. Even looking at others for that matter and weight out the options each offers and ask yourself, "do I really need this or that?" "will I ever use this or that"? It's so easy to get tempted into thinking you need ALL the perks and then pay for and never use them. Remember Needs vs. Wants! It helps to compare.

We did not like the layout of Jayco Pups, as most of them have you climbing over the sitting area to get into one bed or the other. Nor did we need a Shower, or a Porta Pot, or a Slide-Out Dinette. But just as we felt no need for them, you may find them appealing and useful. Strictly a personal choice and you have to purchase what you feel comfortable with.

Once you look at different models, then you can decide what model is truly right for you and your needs. The FR you suggested seems to have a decent layout. Really open, airy, and functional. This is how ours is as well. Very roomy too, as we have 2 big dogs that like to camp with us and they sleep inside on the fold down dinette. BTW, the dinettes are huge now compared to the older pop ups.

I think you would be happy with your choice of a FR Flagstaff or FR Rockwood ( sister ) Pup.
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote