Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Red face Foul water smell

Went camping this weekend and had to use the fresh water tank for the first time, the first night the water tasted fine but on the 3rd day the dw smelled a fowl smell when running the sink, and I was not able to dump the holding tanks. The smell is mainly at the shower floor but you also smell it at the door when entering. Im going to dump the tanks on wednesday, but is there anything i can use for the grey tank (chem odor control) like you use in the black tank? It did rain in the morning on saturday so im thinking it could be that also but not sure.

2014 Explorer AWD
2015 Rockwood HW276
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #2

It smelled like ducks? Was it well water or was it city water? High sulfur content well water can smell pretty foul.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Rotten egg smell?
If so as suggested its high iron content in the water.
Use aquapur "found at walmart" in your fw tank if your using that.
If your using a hose and city water hook up shut water supply off unhook hose and drain.
Pour water pur down hose and hook back up.
If your down camping then sanitize fw system with bleach "1/4 cup to 15 gallon"

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

The smell is kinda rotten wet duck/ that worm smell after a rain. I used my outside faucet (from my house) to fill the fwt. I used my wht hose w filter. It is city water. I did not sanitize the fw tank dealor told me I wouldnt have to due to pup was just built and not winterized yet.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
The smell is kinda rotten wet duck/ that worm smell after a rain. I used my outside faucet (from my house) to fill the fwt. I used my wht hose w filter. It is city water. I did not sanitize the fw tank dealor told me I wouldnt have to due to pup was just built and not winterized yet.
Dealer gave you (BAD) advice on the F/W tank,you should properly clean it(Before)use! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Dealer gave you (BAD) advice on the F/W tank,you should properly clean it(Before)use! Youroo!!
I agree totally! [emoji372]

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #7

thank you youroo and f1100turbo. im dumping the grey tank and will be sani the fw tank.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
Where should we go next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Rotten egg smell?
If so as suggested its high iron content in the water.
Use aquapur "found at walmart" in your fw tank if your using that.
If your using a hose and city water hook up shut water supply off unhook hose and drain.
Pour water pur down hose and hook back up.
If your down camping then sanitize fw system with bleach "1/4 cup to 15 gallon"

"sabre owners united!"

turbs

X2 on the bleach!

I even occasionally put a little in my fresh water hose before connecting it to the camper. Turn on the water and let it run thru your lines. Let it sit a few minutes and run the taps to flush it all out. Nice and clean smelling.

With that being said (please no one scold me) I never drink or cook with the water at any location I stay at. I just bring a few gallons of water from the grocery store for that. No problems bathing,brushing teeth or washing dishes with faucet water at camp site,but that's just me.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offagain View Post
X2 on the bleach!

I even occasionally put a little in my fresh water hose before connecting it to the camper. Turn on the water and let it run thru your lines. Let it sit a few minutes and run the taps to flush it all out. Nice and clean smelling.

With that being said (please no one scold me) I never drink or cook with the water at any location I stay at. I just bring a few gallons of water from the grocery store for that. No problems bathing,brushing teeth or washing dishes with faucet water at camp site,but that's just me.
Put it in my mouth BUT don't drink it---- Sounds a lot like I did smoke it but I didn't Inhale! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Where should we go next!

I have Lake Michigan water at the house. It's great water and it's what I'm used to.

Well water is not for me. Don't mind washing where the sun don't shine with it though

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water