Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

Furnace

We did our second trip this weekend in our new 2 us 2011 HW 296. We had problems getting the Suburban Furnace to work. And it was a cold night Saturday in Southern Indiana!!

The furnace blower worked fine. When we first tried to use it, I turned it off and on a bunch of times before the flame ignited. The furnace got the unit very toasty. Then I decided to turn it off for a while but was never able to get it to light again. It would make a clicking noise and the fan would shut off after a couple minutes.

The oven and water heater worked fine so propane supply doesn't seem to be an issue.

I did some research on the web and all the troubleshooting ideas were WAY beyond my technical skills and comfort level.

Does anyone have any simple things I could check before taking into a dealer?

My other question is would we be better off just bringing an electric heater and forget about using the furnace? I doubt we will ever camp without at least 30 amp service. At the same time, it bugs me to have a non-working appliance.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Rob

RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #2

I have a HW277 so it's the same system.

We had the same issue on our maidan trip. Got everything set up and enjoying some beers and steaks before bed. Turned on the furnace and it would blow for about sixty seconds and shut off- and never light! That was a cool night- low fifties. Next day, the wife went back to town to grab the sleeping bags while I yelled at the dealer, demanding someone to come out. No one ever came. After a few beers, I thought to give it another try. In my "frustration" the front cover on the thermostat came off reveling a set of adjustment knobs. Screwed with that and the furnace ignited! I think it controls the amount of time to light the pilot.

So...have a few and try what I did! Some good things do come from drinking!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Honda man- thanks for the advice and the laugh!

I will try it this weekend and let you know if that solved the problem.

Regardless, I am going to add an electric heater to my camping supplies as a back-up, but I sure hope to get the propane furnace working.

Rob
RobNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #4

We bought a buddy propane heater for about 70 bucks. You only need the one panel one- anything else will melt something. In ours, the furnace is next to our daughters bunk and we are on the other side of the camper. So we often roast her out. We use the small heater on the floor close to us with either the 12 ft hose to the propane tanks or just a 1 lb bottle. The 1 lb lasts about 6 hours on low then just shuts off when empty.

Post up a pic when you can of your rig.

Here's ours

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2010096839.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	19866

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote