Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
GFR

Fuse keeps popping

FlagStaff 625D pop up camper. The second fuse down from top keeps popping and can’t figure it out. I think it operates the ceiling lights and fan. I do not have the information as to the right Amps for these fuses so maybe that is my error too.

In order from top to bottom I have:
15 Amp
15 Amp
25 Amp
25 Amp
30 Amp

Please help! This is very frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	209879  
GFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Team

15A should be OK for lights and a small fan. What is running when the fuse blows. If nothing on, look for a shorted or damaged wire as some of the wires run through the lifts.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
GFR

There is nothing on that we are aware of except the fridge.
Perhaps one of the ceiling light are on but I can’t tell.

Would it have anything to do with any of the switches outside. The panels located near the refrigerator. We have had this camper for awhile but had a very poor tutorial on how to use it.

We have had issues with the lights before and just had a new roof put on this winter. We had them check the lights and they reported they were all working. Bad light bulbs wouldn’t cause the fuse to pop? I have limited knowledge when it comes to electric and wiring.

We have checked the switch under the sink too.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Ahh. New roof. The wiring for the lights and fan run through the roof and down one of the lifts. it is possible that a wire is pinched and there is a short. When you say trouble with lights, what trouble. Does the fuse blow instantly or does it last a while.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
GFR

Currently it blows instantly when we moved the sink into position. Prior to installing the new battery we unplugged everything, put new fuse installed new battery then plugged in to 30 Amp shore line and heard it pop again.

Prior to the new roof we were having light trouble too. Outlets worked but no inside lights or fan. Then after being plugged in for a day while camping the lights mysteriously came on then if you turned another light on they would go off and not come on again. We have tried to look at our he wiring but don’t see where it is noticeably pinched. That is why when the new roof was put on we specifically asked them to also check the lights. They reported they were all working.

We have been looking for a reset button near the battery that we saw in an older post but have not located it yet. going to call it quits for today. Plan on calling the roof people tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help us.

With the new battery now hooked up we here a fan running near or inside the breaker box. In the past we only occasionally heard this fan intermittently. Will this run all the time or is it trying to charge something and will stop.

It’s all a little confusing.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Possible bad plunger switch?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #7

Fan will run when there is a load on it. When I turn on a lot of lights with a fully charged battery, only then will the fan turn on. If the battery needs charging, fan comes on as soon as I plug the camper in.

Definitely sounds like a bad connection or cut wiring with lights turning on and off by themselves, that could be causing a short.

Just so you know, troubleshooting electrical problems can be very costly because of the time involved. Only use a qualified, TRUSTWORTHY tech, as they could lengthen the time in finding the problem, just to make as much money as possible.

I don't recommend inexperienced or unknowledgeable people to play with wiring or electricity.

Good luck finding your issue
2024 Black Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude 4WD, 121" WB, 3.6L, 8 speed, Blacked Out Package, 265/50R20 wheels, 6,200# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716G Pop Up, with a 14' box. Go through Indiana Dunes NP 5X/week! Previously had 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH and 2008 Jayco Jay Flight 19BH Travel Trailers. Also previously had 2007 Starcraft 2406 Pop Up with 12' box and bathroom, Previously had 2005 Rockwood 2290 Pop Up with 12' box and porta potty cabinet.
Mike91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFR View Post
Currently it blows instantly when we moved the sink into position. Prior to installing the new battery we unplugged everything, put new fuse installed new battery then plugged in to 30 Amp shore line and heard it pop again.

Prior to the new roof we were having light trouble too. Outlets worked but no inside lights or fan. Then after being plugged in for a day while camping the lights mysteriously came on then if you turned another light on they would go off and not come on again. We have tried to look at our he wiring but don’t see where it is noticeably pinched. That is why when the new roof was put on we specifically asked them to also check the lights. They reported they were all working.

We have been looking for a reset button near the battery that we saw in an older post but have not located it yet. going to call it quits for today. Plan on calling the roof people tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help us.

With the new battery now hooked up we here a fan running near or inside the breaker box. In the past we only occasionally heard this fan intermittently. Will this run all the time or is it trying to charge something and will stop.

It’s all a little confusing.
I also suspect a problem in the roof wiring. There is a plunger switch that allows current to the roof lights and roof fan that activates when you raise the galley into position. This would explain the fuse blowing when you raise the sink into position. The problem could be at the plunger switch, or further up the roof.

Loose connections, frayed or cut wires touching are most likely explanations for the problems you have been having. Turning off (or disconnecting if there is no switch) each light individually may help you isolate the specific wires causing trouble.

I have never heard of a reset switch near the battery. There is often a cut-off switch to isolate the battery when your pop-up is being stored. This prevents the battery being run down while in storage due to the CO/propane detector, stereo, etc. The cut-off switch is owner or dealer installed, the factory doesn't put one in.

120V outlets are completely separate from your lights, which run on 12V. 12V is supplied by the converter when plugged in, and by the battery when not.

The converter cooling fan comes on when the converter is under significant load. Charging a new battery (it probably was NOT fully charged when you brought it home) could keep the fan running for 5-6 hours, especially if it's hot inside the camper.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #9
Just as confused as you

OP is probably referring to the resettable 12vdc breaker/fuse on the front hitch a-frame. The little black button on the side is the reset.

Though this resettable fuse is not the cause of his problem. If it trips he will not have any power from the battery when boondocking. The battery will not recharge when he's on shore power but he will have 12vdc power to the lights and fan from the converter.
Attached Images

Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
OP is probably referring to the resettable 12vdc breaker/fuse on the front hitch a-frame.
Probably not if the OP states "The second fuse down from top keeps popping and can’t figure it out. I think it operates the ceiling lights and fan. I do not have the information as to the right Amps for these fuses so maybe that is my error too.

15 Amp
15 Amp
25 Amp
25 Amp
30 Amp"

... and lists the amperage of fuses in the fuse panel.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Probably not if the OP states "The second fuse down from top keeps popping and can’t figure it out. I think it operates the ceiling lights and fan. I do not have the information as to the right Amps for these fuses so maybe that is my error too.

15 Amp
15 Amp
25 Amp
25 Amp
30 Amp"

... and lists the amperage of fuses in the fuse panel.
What I was responding to is the statement OP made in post #5. - Quote "We have been looking for a reset button near the battery that we saw in an older post but have not located it yet. going to call it quits for today. Plan on calling the roof people tomorrow"

pgandw then replys in post #8, - Quote "I have never heard of a reset switch near the battery. There is often a cut-off switch to isolate the battery when your pop-up is being stored. This prevents the battery being run down while in storage due to the CO/propane detector, stereo, etc. The cut-off switch is owner or dealer installed, the factory doesn't put one in."
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
What I was responding to is the statement OP made in post #5. - Quote "We have been looking for a reset button near the battery that we saw in an older post but have not located it yet. going to call it quits for today. Plan on calling the roof people tomorrow"

pgandw then replys in post #8, - Quote "I have never heard of a reset switch near the battery. There is often a cut-off switch to isolate the battery when your pop-up is being stored. This prevents the battery being run down while in storage due to the CO/propane detector, stereo, etc. The cut-off switch is owner or dealer installed, the factory doesn't put one in."
Got it. Since you didn’t use the Quote function, I guessed wrong about the post to which you were referring. Sorry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Bob414

I read the OP changed the battery. Fuses will blow is not correctly reconnected. Check the polarity.

I have had a incandescent bulb fail in such a way that shorted the lights on a car. The filament burned out and caused the post in the bulb to fall against the other post inside the bulb. Only seen once in 50 years of owning cars.

Led bulbs, I have not heard of a short blowing fuses. Normally bulb shorts, burn the short path out before blowing fuses.

Troubleshooting can be a time consuming, frustrating and dangerous even if you do have any electrical knowledge.

Good Luck

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 PM   #14
GFR

Wow! I am amazed at everyone’s willingness to take the time to post suggestions to try and help us. We are going to go ahead and replace all the interior light bulbs to make sure there is nothing causing a problem there. It can’t hurt and is relatively easy to do. The folks that replaced the roof want us to bring the camper in so they can check for a pinched or loose wire etc. They are quality people and trustworthy. We will still camp this weekend and just use other temporary lighting as needed during the night. On the way home we plan to drop the camper off for them to check and asses wiring.

We will let you know what is discovered and hopefully report a good outcome.

Again thank you for everyone’s willingness to help.

Tags
fuse