Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
New Tent Trailer Camper

Unhappy Gas Water Heater Won't Stay Lit

I tried to post this in the Water Heater Sub-Forum, but I couldn't find a button to start a new thread.

I have a Suburban SW6D gas water heater (no 120V heating element, gas only). I tried today for the first time (just bought a 2005 Rockwood HW256) to test out the water heater. When I switch on the power switch the igniter turns on and the burner fires for about 5 seconds (nice big blue flame observed), and when the igniter turns off the gas also turns off (flame out as well...obviously). The cycle repeats 2 more times and then the red reset light remains on. I've cycled the power and the same thing repeats; I've tried 4-5 times!

I tried pushing the over temp reset buttons (from outside the unit), but the button doesn't move; my guess it isn't tripped.

Any recommendations?
TXRI-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #2

Can you light the stove and have all three burners going? Just making sure you have propane in the system. Are the tanks full?, valves opened? Some times you can't see the forest because of the trees.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Denver, CO

sounds to me like the thermocouple that tells the control board that the burner is ignited is out or the control board itself is bad. Some dealers can check the control board, or you could just pick up a new sensor and pop it in.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

.........or what he ^ said.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Denver, CO

manual here. I think your unit has a combined igniter and sensor but they are only about 20$. otherwise it may be the control board.

http://hometips.me/Mar/Suburban_Wate...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
manual here. I think your unit has a combined igniter and sensor but they are only about 20$. otherwise it may be the control board.

http://hometips.me/Mar/Suburban_Wate...ice_Manual.pdf
X3 -You're not proving flame, therefore the "system" is working as designed.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
New Tent Trailer Camper

Will go out and check the Flame Sensing Rod when/if this rain ever stops. Thanks for the service manual. Was helpful.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
New Tent Trailer Camper

Changed the electrode; that didn't fix it. Brought the circuit board to my local RV store where they put it on their tester, it checked out fine. Humm...now what? Reinstalled the circuit board, and it started right up. No idea what I did to fix it; maybe a loose connection somewhere. Problem solved. On our first trip of the season and we have hot water.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRI-Tenter View Post
Just bought our first trailer, a used Rockwood pop up. Been learning many new things here on our first trip this weekend. I know i use the leveling jacks to get the popup level, but once level, do i keep raising to get the tires off the ground?
Congrats on the new-to-you Rockwood and welcome to the forum.

Why do you want the tires off the ground while camping? They add to stability of the camper, and keep some additional weight off the jacks. The jacks are, as the name implies, stabilizers, designed to minimize any movement while you are in the unit. Leave the tires on the ground and
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRI-Tenter View Post
Just bought our first trailer, a used Rockwood pop up. Been learning many new things here on our first trip this weekend. I know i use the leveling jacks to get the popup level, but once level, do i keep raising to get the tires off the ground?
Those are actually "stabilizing" jacks, they should be used only to secure the unit from shaking, not designed for camper weight. Level in advance using plastic or wood blocks under the low side tire. Finish off front to back with tongue jack. Lower stabilizers and just take the suspension flex to firm up the unit. Enjoy!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Site Team

DON'T use those jacks for leveling!!!

i made that mistake with our popup and bent the frame and the door wouldn't shut right.

those are only for stability. use a BAL leveler for leveling the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote